• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Was Glory an Old One?

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I know that in Season 1 of Buffy the Old Ones are referred to as pure blood demons who lost their grip on this reality. I'm not watching Season 5 of Angel in which Illyria confirms she was an Old One and she was worshiped as a God. She was actually a ''god to a god''. Also Illyria talks about being able to exist between different dimensions. So it got me thinking:

Was Glory an original Old One who ended up in another dimension to be worshiped as a God?

Skytteflickan88

Proud Spikette
Could be. It's not like it's defined what a God is.

But since she never mentions having lived on Earth, and from what I gather "Old Ones" are demons of different kinds that lived on Earth a really longed time ago, I would guess not. Maybe she has similar powers to them though, but guessing that she used to have the same travel-powers Illyria used to seems like a stretch. For all we know, that's a very rare gift.

Xin Rong
Xin Rong
[No message]

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I'm guessing from the way Glory acts, no. She's just not 'alien' enough to be an old one.
Illyria was completly believable in the role of an ancient apocalypse demon.

But Glory liked shoes, designer dresses, bubble baths, mamosa, etc.

I don't think she'd even ever been on Earth before been cast out into Ben's body

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
Are older ones greater in power than Gods? I never understood the pecking order here. I would have assumed Gods were of a higher power and caliber than just an extremely old OG demon.

thetopher

Sineya
In the works of H.P Lovecraft there are beings that are termed 'Great Old Ones' which either had existed or still do exist on earth- their either dead or imprisoned or whatever. They're potrayed as utterly alien beings but tangible and real. They're not gods, just really powerful beings.

Then there are other beings, the 'Outer Gods' that are more forces of nature, things without real physical presence (unless summoned) that are far more powerful but rarely glimpsed.
So I tend to think of Glory as an 'outer god' from another dimension that has being physically bound (in a human form) but still distinct from the Old Ones.

It's not a perfect analogy but it works for me.

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
(in Lovecraft) the Old Ones are ultimately alien in origin aren't they? Like Cthulu? Or just some of them?

thetopher

Sineya
(in Lovecraft) the Old Ones are ultimately alien in origin aren't they? Like Cthulu? Or just some of them?

In Lovecraft the Great Old Ones (aliens) were on earth long before humanity and used humans as slaves, worshippers, or food. Then they 'lost their purchase on this reality' (or had a big cosmic war with another set of powerful beings and lost, depending on the writer) and humans sprang up in the vacuum created.
There are some parallels with the Buffyverse but they're not an exact match up.

white avenger

white avenger
I got the impression that Glory's hell dimension was where she had always been until banished to earth. If the Old Ones were originally inhabitants of earth who were banished to another dimension with the ascendance of mankind, then Glory couldn't have been one of them.

jom

Potential
I got the impression that Glory's hell dimension was where she had always been until banished to earth. If the Old Ones were originally inhabitants of earth who were banished to another dimension with the ascendance of mankind, then Glory couldn't have been one of them.
it is a shame that Joss wheddon didnt make a clear and detailed Buffyverse universe. We should had had a history from the beginning, the comics should had addressed the mythology of the buffyverse

white avenger

white avenger
it is a shame that Joss wheddon didnt make a clear and detailed Buffyverse universe. We should had had a history from the beginning, the comics should had addressed the mythology of the buffyverse

I seriously doubt that we'll ever have anything as restrictive as a clear and detailed history of the Buffyverse, because Joss and the writers just seem to make a lot of stuff up as they go along.

No she isn't. Old ones are an ancient breed of demons that existed on Earth millions of years ago. Quentin (head of the watchers council) in the episode 'Checkpoint' stated Glory was not a demon, but a god. Glory is either an ancient higher being or deity that was worshiped as a god or she is an actual god by her race. I believe that she was an actual god as The Watchers clearly stated that themselves however we can't rule out the other possibility.

Tome
Tome
Lol, I love your banner.

Ayko

Buffyverse Ambassador
I would state that she was. Here is a Quote from 'The Dunwich Horror' for what it's worth:
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate.
Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian to the gate.
Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth.
He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
He knows where They have trod earth's fields, and where They still tread them,
and why no one can behold Them as They tread.

-H.P. Lovecraft-

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I would think Glory is not a old one. You can look at what Illyria could do & what Glory could do & I think they totally different .
Glory could only manifest her self from time to time & had to drain energy unlike Illyria who was in complete control & had way too much power .

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Old One refers to the race of pure demons that ruled the Earth after the War In Heavenly Dimension but prior to the Creation of Not-Adam. If Glory is simply a powerful demon whom other demons paid Divine honors to, then sure, a old one she could be.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
To expand on my previous thoughts, there is no such thing as an old one. Old one is a label for alien elder god things that are so far removed from the human experience, that we have no word for them. That does describe Glory in her first episodes, an ancient nameless thing. I don't think she is one the beings entombed in the Deeper Well, but I do think her origins lie in the Primordium. However, she left Midgard long before the rise of man. I also contend that most of the gods we meet, are a higher caste of Demons, who are as above the Orcs that we meet throughout the series as we are above the lower animals.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
From what I remember Glory was banished from her own dimension so who knows if she was ever on earth . I say no & the just dumped her on a randon planet .

Top Bottom