• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Was Glory right about the world?

fauxindigo

Scooby
He has interesting thoughts on Glory...and her philosophy on life and reasoning for her "evil"... considering how messed up the world is nowadays, is Glorys point more relevant than ever? "who's not crazy?"...

T
thrasherpix
Perhaps I'm being too trivial here, but I can't help but think that roses have thorns, and to ignore either its beauty or its thorns is to fail to understand what a rose is (which makes it a good metaphor for life in general).

Robinette

Townie
Sineya
It's kind of a powerful clip... but no the point it's making is not correct. Buffy was right to be happy in the afterlife because she had done what she was meant to do. The duties that she does after she returns to life are above and beyond, and it was a violation to bring her back to life. It should have been somebody else's duty in S6 and that does not invalidate the importance of duty as a way to live your life. It was never meant to be a posthumous responsibility. And she still managed to do it.

Priceless

Scooby
Great video, I agree with much of it, but I would argue that Glory doesn't do what she does in the name of chaos. Glory has a plan and her whole life is driven by that plan. She wants to find the key and make her way home. I don't think there is anything particularly chaotic about what Glory does.

Leading on from that, the videoer says that Glory is driven by laziness and sloth. But that's not true. She has her minions constantly working to find the key, she herself goes shopping for spell items, magics up a snake, faces down the monks, visits Revello Drive etc. etc. She isn't lazy, she's actually on a timetable. Once the monks slip the key out of her grasp she is pretty proactive in trying to get it back. This is another way she's very similar to Buffy, who can shop for shoes and fight evil, Glory can shop for dresses and work on finding the key. Buffyverse females can multitask :)

fauxindigo
fauxindigo
She's very calculated but she still wanted to unleash chaos in this dimension.
Bop
Bop
I think the way Glory put most of the work on her minions shows she's lazy especially since her minions are incompetent.
She's very calculated but she still wanted to unleash chaos in this dimension.

She doesn't 'want' to unleash chaos in this dimension. She wants to go home. Going home will unleash chaos in this dimension and every other and she doesn't care about that. It's just collateral damage. But equally she wouldn't consider it a job half done if she hopped back home with no disruption to everyone else. It's her own home dimension where she wants to reign down chaos and bloodshed in vengeance on the other two of her triumverate for kicking her out.

And the points about her minions and her being lazy ... she doesn't have minions because she is lazy, she has minions because she is a god. Calling her lazy or vain because she has minions to do her work or jump to her every whim rather misses the point of what a god is.

Glory is a reflection of Buffy, as so many things in the show are, but she is a reflection of Buffy if she becomes all power and no care, not what she might secretly want to be. Buffy states her fears of being too tough to love and how being the slayer is turning her into stone. Glory is the all power version of Buffy. Dawn is the all human version of Buffy. Between them they are like if the Ferula Gemina had split Buffy in two back in the replacement. Season 5 is about her reconciling these two parts of herself and realising they are both her, to embrace just one side or the other would be wrong. So - no Glory doesn't turn out to be correct, she is just an aberrant version of Buffy who is dealt with, Buffy becoming like her would have made her aberrant as well.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
I don't think Buffy ever rejects her responsibilities even in season 6 she slays, she works a crap job for Dawn and tries to do everything she did before she died, the only difference is in private she's depressed and feeling over all her responsibilities. So just like in all the seasons Buffy juggles her responsibilities with what she wants to be doing which is a rejection of Glory's way of life. So that doesn't make Buffy similar to Glory at all to me, definitely doesn't prove Glory right in a way it proves her even more wrong. What's interesting is people compare Glory to Cordelia who is kind of pre-slayer Buffy.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Bleat at me no longer, we are done.
Black Thorn
Pretty much everything Glory said was spot on. (And I do NOT think she was evil) She was a god, so of course she expected to be worshipped and obeyed. But in her quest for the Key, she suddenly found herself amongst people who had absolutely no respect for her. That had to be extraordinarily perplexing for a god.

She wasn't a villain. Like Illyria, she just wanted to go home. And if people got in her way, she'd make them suffer. Buffy amused her at first, but quickly became a thorn in her backside.

Glory was a complex character, and I was rather fond of her. She actually made a lot of sense to me. (I mean seriously, being in Sunnydale and having to deal with all of that nonsense would make ANYONE even more bonkers!!)

She was beautiful, strong-willed, and surprisingly rational at times. I really wish that she'd acquired the Key and was able to go home. The world is more of a hell than her dimension, of that I'm sure.

fauxindigo
fauxindigo
Evil is relative but she did reign with torture, death & chaos so I think she can be classified as evil. Would you have loved to see Ben/Glory survive into S6 like me? I think Glory having to get used to life as a human would've correlated w/Buffy.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Look, Glory's sense of ethics demand the following, one god's life is worth the lives and souls of countless billions of mortals. And I'm sure that to her, it makes sense, she is immortal, we humans are transitory as to be beneath her reckoning. Humanity as a kind may have even risen, lived and perished within her natural lifetime. And heck, the buffyverse cosmology is pretty vague at this point. Clearly a lot of fae, elves, angels and gods are running around, or at least beings that are not the Old Ones and their offspring, they could also number in the billions, of not trillions, and they could find themselves invaded, decimated, or perhaps annihilated. So, it's worth noting, she doesn't see any value or take any interest in human life, or at least non-Glorificus forms of life. I will not dispute that life is inescapable suffering, and that suffering is a by-product of man's wickedness. A conclusion like that seems to be at the root of both Abrahamic and Dharmic religions. Yet, our very existence requires us to struggle against it, against death. That struggle also defines our existence. Because, as to quote another discussion with an elder being, "I don't know. I play this game... it's pointless and annoys me... and yet, I'm compelled to play on. " True, it's not quite Hurin and Melkor, but somethings are self-evident. But, it's ultimately an concept a god would find beyond comprehension. And that's what scares her, she is fated to die with Ben, and whatever that means to her, is worth this action.

S

sweetiepie

He has interesting thoughts on Glory...and her philosophy on life and reasoning for her "evil"... considering how messed up the world is nowadays, is Glorys point more relevant than ever? "who's not crazy?"...
Glory was logical but negative. On a side she was right. On another not that much.

Top Bottom