• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Was Gunn useless?

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I felt Gunn was pretty useless for most of his Angel run like I don't hate him or anything but I just didn't care about Gunn and also he didn't have many big story arcs or use in my opinion except for his relationship with Fred which was the only story arc I enjoyed.
What does everyone else think?

W

WillowFromBuffy

Somewhat underutilized perhaps. He was an important part of the group dynamic and he was always a joy to watch, except during his angry phase in s4.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
I think the main reason why Gunn is considered useless is he is supposed to be "the muscle" despite the fact that Angel is much stronger. But Gunn's role is definitely much more than that, he has an under appreciated intelligence, a very logical worldview, and a very kind heart. I actually love lawyer Gunn in season 5, before he makes that deal and ruins everything. And @Puppet is right Gunn does grow up a lot throughout the series, despite having the appearance of the steady one.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
Gunn is underrated. I think the episode That Old Gang of Mine was a very strong episode and showed there was more to the character that what we were typically shown. His arcs weren’t as in your face as some others but we definitely saw some good character development throughout the series.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
I'll have to go with @WillowFromBuffy and say he was underutilized. After a re-watch I actually love more Gunn especially in the earlier season when he was a street vampire fighter which was very interesting. I think it was necessary for once to have a character that didn't come from money or a subburban life. It must have been very dangerous for poor people with vampires and demons around.

Meliza
Meliza
I like the normie characters their appreciation grows in value every time, they're the heart.
W

WillowFromBuffy

I think it was necessary for once to have a character that didn't come from money or a subburban life.
It certainly would have been and I think that is what they were trying to do, but I don't think he really enriched the series in that way. They should have kept Anne and Kate and spent more time exploring how Gunn's background informed his outlook. It seems as if the shows had aspirations of becoming a socio-realist crime show early on, but got bored and doubled down on the supernatural wackyness of apocalypses, other dimensions and unexplained pregnancies.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
It certainly would have been and I think that is what they were trying to do, but I don't think he really enriched the series in that way. They should have kept Anne and Kate and spent more time exploring how Gunn's background informed his outlook. It seems as if the shows had aspirations of becoming a socio-realist crime show early on, but got bored and doubled down on the supernatural wackyness of apocalypses, other dimensions and unexplained pregnancies.
Yes! Gun should have stayed a freelancer on the street so we would always have this new angle and not make him whitewashed in the later seasons!

Meliza

Scooby
I didn't like his introduction at all but now I love Gunn. I'm not alone in saying I would have decided on something different then the love triangle.
I also think "jealous" which came as necessity of plot, didn't suit him as his character flaw at all. Maybe I am making this up in my head but whatever, Gunn just doesn't read to me as a guy lacking confidence or insecure in his masculinity in any way. If Fred was the love of his life or something like Buffy was to Angel but I never got that read on them or that he knew her that long/well enough. And even then, the emotion he would be feeling is betrayal, if he thought there was a threat and not competition.

I thought Fred and Wesley had more in common but that doesn't always explain attraction, what I think on second thought is both were kind hearted, Gunn strikes me as more a white picket fence as end goal type then Wesley does. Which maybe that is because of the way they both ended up but I see Gunn retiring and want that for him. Don't even get me started on the single worse thing that (apparently) happened in the comics. I guess Cordelia has company in the deserved better camp.

Meliza

Scooby
I agree. A socio-realist portrait of how Gunn's back round / coming of age on the streets informed his world view, particularly regarding life and death and working within and outside of societal structures, not trusting authority etc cetera, basically struggling with and coming to terms with having a future when he never thought he would have one and accepting a "new family"

I think "First Impressions" has that and his chemistry with Cordelia is a joy to watch, oh and also when he sold his soul for a car basically touches on that same theme.

Any one else have a opinion on Gunn

Instead of a romantic rivalry, I can see Cordelia taking on the responsibility of touching Gunn the ropes with how they do things with some charming back and forth. Angel expresses some reservations about Gunn being able to make the transition into second in command, a more sensible quibble then with Wesley who in the beginning was most definitely not the muscle or former leader of a troop.

It revolves itself by the end of episode and smooths out well Cordelia and Gunn have a unspoken, will they or won't they thing going on but when Cordelia's visions first become hazardous, Angel and Gunn's rivalry surfaces as both conflict on how to best protect Cordelia but there is a romantic undertone to their rivalry within the group so it is multidimensional power struggle (but a minor b plot like when Wesley was in charge)

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
In my memory of ATS, for me Gunn is mostly just there, I'm not much interested in his character, I am more interested in Wesley, Angel , Cordelia or Fred as characters, but Gunn is a nice guy and I absolutely love his centric episodes like Old Gang Of Mine, Players, War Zone or First Impressions. That's when Gunn's character shines.

Top Bottom