• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Was Joyce friend Pat in Dead Man Party evil?.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
It's made pretty clear that it was the mask; before she was just a normal (albeit pushy) human being, who seemed to be a good friend of Joyce's. There was zero indication that she was evil.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I'd say she was evil in what Stephen King described as "small town evil" (as best I recall). Nothing supernatural about it. A more modern term is frenemy (which includes people pushing themselves into your business to make trouble and entertain themselves at your expense while appearing to care about your well being). Very passive aggressive and manipulative with sadistic tendencies (not all sadists use violence, especially if they can't get away with it and/or cause more harm without it).

The mask was a whole different kind evil quite distinct from the mundane evil of before.

Mr Trick

Scooby
It's made pretty clear that it was the mask; before she was just a normal (albeit pushy) human being, who seemed to be a good friend of Joyce's. There was zero indication that she was evil.
I think I can deal with supernatural Pat evil rather than her annoying human self. I'm just glad the bitch snuffed it, haha!

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Nobody cared about Pat until she put on the mask. Sorry. Best construction, she represents Joyce's and the gang's distrust of Buffy, which the audience really needs to be sold on, as the episode never really transitions the audience from Joy to Distrust. But that's a problem with the series as a whole. Only Buffy's feelings are valid, every one else is an empty shadow.

Top Bottom