• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Was Joyce's illness 100% natural?

katmobile

Scooby
Just another reason why Sprusilla should've stayed together so that Dru could appear in Season 5 and come into contact with Dawn.

There is a difference between Joyce's insanity (and those that are victims of Glory) and Drusilla's insanity. Joyce's and Glory's victims' insanity is medical/ the result of the brain being physically messed with via tumour and brain sucking. Drusilla's insanity is trauma induced and her mind broke away from reality in order to cope with the psychological torture Angelus was inflicting on her.

Whilst it's extremely likely, near certain, that Dru would clock Dawn because we were told crazy people can see Dawn's true nature as the key, could it also be they type of insanity that allows someone to see Dawn's keyness? The insanity portrayed in Season 5 with Joyce and Glory's victims is not the same insanity that was portrayed with Drusilla, in which case there is the slight chance that Dru wouldn't be able to see that Dawn is the key because it's not the "right" insanity to be able to do so.
You make a good point about Dru insanity but I do wonder if her psychic abilities would enable her to see that Dawn has been inserted into the universe rather than was originally a part of it.

TriBel

Scooby
Whilst it's extremely likely, near certain, that Dru would clock Dawn because we were told crazy people can see Dawn's true nature as the key, could it also be they type of insanity that allows someone to see Dawn's keyness?
Yeah...In real life there's a difference between trauma induced "madness" and "madness" that results from illness or brain injury. In the case of BtVS, I think the series is, in part, simply making a point about different perspectives and how certain perspectives are privileged and certain utterances only permissible in certain situations (perhaps, intentionally or otherwise, setting us up for the conflicting realities in S6/7? IDK. Buffy "sees" (as in "knows") Dawn differently than the Knights. Similarly, she "sees" Spike differently than Giles in S7. We don't know the cause of the homeless man's "insanity" do we (genuine question - was he one of Glory's first victims)?

There's a poem by Craig Raine called "A Martian sends a Postcard Home" with the following lines.

Caxtons are mechanical birds with many wings
and some are treasured for their markings –
they cause the eyes to melt
or the body to shriek without pain.
I have never seen one fly, but
sometimes they perch on the hand.

I can imagine Dru saying these lines. 🙂 It's quite acceptable to read them out in a poetry class but if you tried to describe a book to someone in (for instance) a bus queue like this, they'd probably back away from you in horror. Compare with the different ways William's poem is received - by his mum, his peers and the crowd in NFA.

Tales of the Vampires is - I think - much more sympathetic towards Dru's "madness" than the TV series. I really like the Prague story. :)

Top Bottom