• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Was Maggie behaviour as college professor unprofessional?.

Benz

Potential
I know she evil but I mean for professional standers as professor she very unprofessional for kicking someone out of there class just for missing one class.

I think Maggie was worst then Lilah at least never made out she was good and did act more professional on her job grounds.

Taake

Nightmare, dressed as a daydream
Staff member
Black Thorn
I don’t know how much freedom professors have in the US, but here at least every course you take start with an introduction that lays out what your obligations as a student are.

Most professors have a ”you must do X, and attend X amount of lectures, or you will fail the class” (most are also amenable to discuss circumstances and make-up assignments if you let them know in good time). So, it is possible that ”the evil bitch monster of death”, or whatever it was her TA’s called her, had a policy that no classes were to be missed without advanced notice and a pre-approved excuse.

Sounds harsh but college can be, depending on the teacher.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
yeah, that's how it is in the US as well

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
It’s been a very long time since I was in college and grad school lol but I don’t recall any profs kicking anyone out for missing one single class. Yes there were expectations for attendance but that seems a bit harsh. Now, things may have changed but I wouldn’t know for sure. My son is getting ready to start his 2nd year and he’s a very good student. He hardly misses if at all. Only reason I know is that he lives at home for now to save money.

Priceless

Scooby
I think 'university professor' was a role for Walsh. Her real job was guiding the Initiative, so I don't think she really cared how she behaved when teaching. That 'bitch monster from hell all my TA's call me' line always jarred and seemed ridiculous when we learn all her TAs are actually her subordinates and she was their General and they all seemed to respect her in that role. Everything she did in the classroom was play acting and unreal.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
OH!!! Yeah, when he ran away from home. And Willow went crying to her. I remember asking he get special treatment because he was her boyfriend.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
She didn't go crying to her. Your letting your bias towards the character get in the way. Stop being mean.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
As a tenured full professor who is both Department Head and has a outside reputation in her field? And has a government grant? She is basically a minor fiefdom and can do anything she wants, as long as its in the Syllabus and doesn't violate the faculty handbook or the Institutional Review Board, and the latter is questionable. The unrealistic aspect is, why is she teaching Freshmen in the first place? She clearly is a Research Professor, the only contact she should have with students is with her TAs and maybe her work studies. I mean, you don't see the Big Bang Theory guys teaching classes, Right? That's because, it not their jobs.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Yeah, my feeling is that college students are adults, figure it out. College professors shouldn't need to hold their hands.
Sure but I don't think excusing someone for missing one class is holding their hands. I think a lot of teachers would just take the view that if a student missed too many classes and got behind that's on them. They maybe wouldn't give them special treatment, but I don't think they would necessary kick them out for it either.

Although there are certain rules and guidelines for students, there's still room for the individual teachers to work within those rules and make their own judgements.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
Yeah. I agree

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
there's still room for the individual teachers to work within those rules and make their own judgements.
And she made a judgement. By kicking him out. That's why she stood by the decision even when Willow went crying to her trying to get her to change her mind just because he was her boyfriend.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
As I recall, professors never seemed to be all that concerned about attendance or note-taking or any of the other concerns that are part of high school. Our first-year chemistry professor mentioned his annoyance that the "students who got the top marks in his subject were often the ones running the dice game at the back of the class" but there was never any enforcement of attendance or attention, for that matter. Our professors' opinions were that you got the mark you got on the exam and how you got there was your own business.

The only exception I saw to that was in fourth year where myself and one other guy both were doing our theses independently on holographic interferometry. Our thesis advisor also ran a class (which neither of us were taking) on fields and waves that included waveguide design. He invited us to one of these labs. It looked like zombies on parade. None of them knew what they were doing. He would ask a question and they would just stand there, shifting their weight from side to side, first on one leg then on the other like the Blue-Footed Booby, those polynesian birds that do the same thing. Then he asked us questions and we answered them correctly without hesitation. At this point, he blew up at his class.

"Only two people in this room know what they are doing and they're not even in this class! What is the matter with the rest of you?" BTW both of our theses got an "A" grade. The other thesis was written by a guy who had already graduated from engineering in Korea but his degree was not recognized here, so he had to take it again. This made for very tough competition.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
As I recall, professors never seemed to be all that concerned about attendance
You're comparing apples to oranges, though. How many the of students of your school when you missed a day was due to their being eaten.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Re: Willow; To be fair, Willow didn't know Seth Green was leaving the show, and she thought he would be back in a week. But is somewhat weird a teacher would call roll in a large lecture class.

Top Bottom