• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Was Mal a good guy?

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
Do you view Mal as a good guy that only does crime because he has no other choice? Or is he someone that happens to do good on occasion, but ultimately is just looking after is own interests?

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Well, remember your Western tropes. An Ex-confederate veteran is still a white hat, even if that hat gets a little dirty, his nobility of character still shines through on occasion.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I don't think the Alliance is as bad as he thinks it, nor is the freedom of the outer worlds better (not only do they lack the tech, but they tend to be run by local tyrants worse than the Alliance), but I still think of Mal as better than many, and more well meaning than he himself realizes.

I see good and bad guys on both sides of the law, both in his Verse, and in the real world.

white avenger

white avenger
I think hat Mal is supposed to be the classic antihero, the guy who generally does the right thing, though not always for the right reasons, but also doesn't get all broken hearted when he does something bad. Visualize Deadpool with a space ship.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Mal was well adapted to his world. Guided by his own sense of justice rather than the collective control. I love his individuality and strength, and his desire for all to see truth and make their own choices.

Top Bottom