• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Was the Slayer spell necessary?

Btvs fan

Scooby
Did the slayer spell actually do anything in the finale? If they didn't do the spell, the amulet would still have destroyed the Hellmouth, so was it necessary?
Short answer is no but Joss wanted his feels moment so it goes in.
Hell the Slayers could've been activated at Buffys house before they went in, since taking a bunch non powered girls in there was quite a risk but both Buffy and Willow had read the script beforehand so I guess it was cool 🤷‍♂️

white avenger
white avenger
If you're interested in such things, I would suggest Drew Mcgunn's "Forget The Alamo," the first of his Lone Star Reloaded Series. It's historical fantasy, and one of the issues dealt with is slavery.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Short answer is no but Joss wanted his feels moment so it goes in.
Hell the Slayers could've been activated at Buffys house before they went in, since taking a bunch non powered girls in there was quite a risk but both Buffy and Willow had read the script beforehand so I guess it was cool 🤷‍♂️
But then how could Kennedy avoid the battle if she didn't have a convenient excuse for why she couldn't be there from the start?

Season 7 is the worst Season of the show.

K
katmobile
Hard disagree

Btvs fan

Scooby
But then how could Kennedy avoid the battle if she didn't have a convenient excuse for why she couldn't be there from the start?

Season 7 is the worst Season of the show.
Agreed there's so many holes in S7, you could tell both Joss and the writers had given up by then and didn't care.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
There was never a sense of urgency created regarding the attack on the First. Even a brief line explaining that the magical properties of the Hellmouth as a Place of Power were required to make the spell work, or that the First needed to be distracted while the spell was cast would have been nice. Or that the First was summoning every demon to it, and Sunnydale would soon be filled with the Unholy Powers of the Night, and this was the only chance to end it.

slayer730

Potential
Was it necessary? I’m sure the characters in hindsight would say no, but nobody (with maybe the exception of Wolfram & Hart) knew specifically what the amulet was or what it would do so I guess it all works out. I think there’s a much bigger issue of season 7 introducing a lot of important elements way too close to the back end of the finale.

The scythe should have been foreshadowed as an unknown but important object that was eventually found much sooner than it was

Caleb (or a character like him given Nathan Fillion probably would have been preoccupied with Firefly at the time) should have been also introduced way sooner than he was

and even Faith should have come back to Sunnydale sooner

As far as the spell itself, I think the scope of it needed to be dialed back a little. I understand the message that the writing was trying to achieve with activating all of the potentials but it raises more questions than answers. Luckily the show didn’t have to come back to answer those questions, but the more you think about them the more bothersome the writing can seem in hindsight and the “emotional empowerment” factor really can’t excuse it.
I think it would have been more logical to have the same spell and speech but edit how they were written. Instead of Willow activating every slayer it should have just been the potentials in the battle. The speech Buffy would give would hit a lot of the same notes about sharing power, but she’d explain that this spell would be drawing upon the essence of past slayers, the two present slayers, and all future ones to temporarily heighten all of their skills to fight the final fight. Buffy would make it a point to say that this fight is ensuring that the future generation of slayers and the line isn’t be erased and proclaiming they have to win. This would transition into asking her asking them “are you ready to be strong?” and events would play out as they pretty much did. I'm not sure if you'd call that a perfect fix, but I think it does address a few things

Dora

Scooby
Firstly Buffy was no longer the Slayer, Faith was, the line went through Faith so why would bringing Buffy back effect the first ?
You had potentials from early seasons Kendra lived with her watcher
If Buffy was not the slayer why did she and not Faith have the link to the potentials ? Faith was the chosen one , Buffy retained her Slayer powers even after dying twice she was not the Slayer
Now chosen ...how rushed ? it was as if Joss had turned up to write direct the last episode to find that the program was no longer about BTVS but about Spike , everybody else was incidental , the world is about to end the first is about to send masses of very hard to kill Turkey hams out onto the world and we are finding out how Spike became a Vampire ? WTF ?
Buffy lead a group of girls into the hellmouth not changed into slayers armed with stuff mostly you would find in a garden shed , no helmets , no stab vests , no bows , decent axes , petrol bombs , mostly pointed sticks ??? WTF again
Buffy gave Spike the amulet telling him he was her champion? , what ? her abuser , he that had tried many times to kill her, her attempted rapist , Xander was her white knight he had fought with Buffy from day one with no super powers,if not Angel, surely he would have been her champion not Spike , nobody knew what the amulet would do ?
As for the spell, all rushed because of above , Joss had to do something, a group of defenceless girls arriving in front of thousands of starving super vamps would not have lasted a minute
Good to see that the two season Marti Noxon was in charge was the two seasons a man saved the world

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Good to see that the two season Marti Noxon was in charge was the two seasons a man saved the world
That's revisionist history. Men saved the world plenty of time on the show; Buffy, as far as I can recall, only saved it once by herself.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I laughed to tears in s5 when the goddess of a supposedly feminist show was smacked down not only with a phallic hammer, but by Xander's balls, er, wrecking ball. If that came out today the blogs would be melting down. :-D

Btvs fan

Scooby
That's revisionist history. Men saved the world plenty of time on the show; Buffy, as far as I can recall, only saved it once by herself.
Yep in PrimeEvil Buffy is about to be killed by Forrest and saved by Riley who then kills Forrest.

Much of S1 of Angel is him saving good looking women. Joss (judging by the commentary) is even aware of this though he does is anyway.

white avenger

white avenger
Firstly Buffy was no longer the Slayer, Faith was, the line went through Faith so why would bringing Buffy back effect the first ?
The First Evil's plan was to kill all of the Potentials, then Faith, which would in effect destroy the Slayer Line. Buffy, as you say, wasn't the Slayer, but she had been doing the job of the Slayer ever singe Kendra had been Called, then, more importantly, during the time that Faith was in prison and unable to fulfill her duties.

f Buffy was not the slayer why did she and not Faith have the link to the potentials ? Faith was the chosen one , Buffy retained her Slayer powers even after dying twice she was not the Slayer
Agreed. I've said on several occasions before that there should have been some new title dreamed up to explain Buffy's status after she was killed in Season 2 and Kendra was Called (Mega-Slayer, Ultra-Slayer, Super-Slayer, or something of that sort) and possibly develop some new, unique power, for the same reason that Angelus became Angel when he got his soul.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Don't try. The problem with the show's supernatualism is that it follows no discernible rules. If the Script Says, or more importantly, if Giles says, "The First's Scenario is that Buffy's Resurrection caused an imbalance allowing the First to eliminate the Slayer Line, as long as Faith and Buffy die last, Stones and Bangers." You have to go with it, regardless of how unconvincing it actually is. The Best I can tell you, is the First claims to have existed prior to the creation of the universe, whatever level he plays on, is far beyond some army of stuntmen digging up an old relic in a what appears to be an old church with which they are going to end the world with. They keep going to that well, don't they.

Dora

Scooby
S1 Buffy kills the master
S2 Buffy kills Angel
S3 Buffy is the one who the mayor chases
S4 Buffy is the one though the spell kills Adam
S5 Buffy beats Glory ( only one strong enough to weld the hammer ) into disappearing so Giles murdered a injured Ben , Buffy has to sacrificed herself to save the world

S6 Buffy is stuck in a grave ( could she have not just jump that high ) Xander saved the day
S7 Angel brought the Amulet , Spike put it on not knowing what it would do , Buffy had lead her little bunch Slayer's, or not, and friends on a fruitless suicide mission Angel / Spike saved the day

Always seemed strange to me Buffy was / is a feminist icon, a role model , yet when a woman is running the show she shown , as anything but ....

B
Btvs fan
She stabbed Faith in S3 and she wasn't expected to wake up

Dora

Scooby
Don't try. The problem with the show's supernatualism is that it follows no discernible rules. If the Script Says, or more importantly, if Giles says, "The First's Scenario is that Buffy's Resurrection caused an imbalance allowing the First to eliminate the Slayer Line, as long as Faith and Buffy die last, Stones and Bangers." You have to go with it, regardless of how unconvincing it actually is. The Best I can tell you, is the First claims to have existed prior to the creation of the universe, whatever level he plays on, is far beyond some army of stuntmen digging up an old relic in a what appears to be an old church with which they are going to end the world with. They keep going to that well, don't they.
I always thought this was a carry on from S6 dump all the shit at Buffy's door , Buffy was happy in heaven , Buffy was brought back to her hell without her permission , S7 she finds out that because she now lives the first can alter the balance....why did it not happen in Season one ? She died another slayer was called , Xander saves Buffy , Buffy is back to life altering the balance , what's the difference

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I always thought this was a carry on from S6 dump all the shit at Buffy's door , Buffy was happy in heaven , Buffy was brought back to her hell without her permission , S7 she finds out that because she now lives the first can alter the balance....why did it not happen in Season one ? She died another slayer was called , Xander saves Buffy , Buffy is back to life altering the balance , what's the difference
In Season 1, Xander revived Buffy naturally. Kendra was called so the slayer line flowed through Kendra, hence Faith being called upon her death. Though there were two slayers, Buffy wasn't affecting things. It could be argued that her death in Season 5 reset things to how they should be.

Because Willow then resurrected Buffy unnaturally via magic, the slayer line then flowed through her also which cause a "disturbance in the force so to speak". Now there were two slayers when there shouldn't be, hence why the first was able to take advantage. By that logic, activating all the potentials should've made everything worse but then again Season 7 like to solve problems with the exact same thing that caused them in the first place.

I always viewed the slayer as some sort of balance keeper between the forces of good and evil. Her job is to control the number of vampires so that they don't overrun the world. The First wanted to tip that balance into evil's favour by wiping out the slayers.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Natural v. Supernatural means sounds like a valid theory. The impression I get from the little we know of the higher powers, they seem to be Factions in a cold war that neither side wishes to escalate until they are ready for it to happen. The First wasn't so concerned with Buffy being brought back to life as he was with Osiris's intervention. Or, the First wasn't aware of Buffy's first death, but was aware of the second one. After all, the First is clearly attached to death, somehow. But, I don't know this, and for such an important plot point, shouldn't have to guess.

Top Bottom