• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Was there a sexual attraction to Angel?

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
I just always took this as a given, but didn't everyone else think that Angel and Lindsey were both masking their sexual attraction to one another? It just really seemed really obvious to me.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Definitely on Lindsey's end, Darla even takes not of this (It's not me you want to screw, it's him). I personally didn't see much of it on Angel's end though, mostly because he had such disdain for Lindsey.

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
By screw, I think she meant messing with Angel's life.

Spanky

Black Thorn
I personally didn't see much of it on Angel's end though, mostly because he had such disdain for Lindsey
But that's why I think so. Because Angel, being a manly bloke, would have had disdain for, in his opinion, such a deviant feeling. He would want to lash out, dehumanize and trivialize the object of these feelings. Something akin to what Larry did to Xander.

That's why this made them both uncomfortable, because they knew it was the truth

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
Because Angel, being a manly bloke, would have had disdain for, in his opinion, such a deviant feeling. He would want to lash out, dehumanize and trivialize the object of these feelings.
I really don't think that's how Angel regards homosexuality at all. He expresses discomfort around it but it's not in a malicious way. It seems more because he doesn't identify as gay so doesn't really know how to handle the gay attention he receives (decades of living in seclusion - and therefore away from exposure to the sexual revolution - probably don't help with this either). However there's absolutely no evidence he regards it as deviant or disdainful, or would lash out against it if he ever did acknowledge a homosexuality within himself. Angel is not Larry.

Last edited:

Spanky

Black Thorn
I really don't think that's how Angel regards homosexuality at all. He expresses discomfort around it but it's not in a malicious way. It seems more because he doesn't identify as gay so doesn't really know how to handle the gay attention he receives (decades of living in seclusion - and therefore away from exposure to the sexual revolution - probably don't help with this either). However there's absolutely no evidence he regards it as deviant or disdainful, or would lash out against it if he ever did acknowledge a homosexuality within himself. Angel is not Larry.
I guess I took him as being from a certain era and having that mindset. Especially with some of the vernacular he used. But I didn't say that's how he viewed homosexuality as deviant, just his own feelings. And I never said he was malicious about it. In so far as he in general treated Lindsey in a malicious manner.
there's absolutely no evidence he ... would lash out against
Well, I wouldn't say there's no evidence. He does tend to... pick on people sometimes. Push their buttons, etc.

W

WillowFromBuffy

Angel does not seem the least bothered about being though of as gay in Expecting. He tells Wesley it adds mystery.

Angel is actually one of very few characters from BtVS that never expresses any negative feelings towards homosexuality.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
Thing is his treatment of Lindsey is quite specific to Lindsey. I do think there's a homoerotic undercurrent to their dynamic but he also has a lot of reasons to legitimately hate or distrust Lindsey.

He does tend to... pick on people sometimes. Push their buttons, etc.
Examples? And how does picking on 'people' - plural - indicate he would lash out on account of homosexual feelings? Sure, as Angelus he tries to destroy things he cares about with his soul, but that's because he hates that they make him feel human. And actually there's a hint that he was more sexually fluid when he was evil:

[to Spike] 'It's just lately... I've been wondering...what it'd be like... to share the slaughter of innocents... with another man. Don't... don't think that makes me some kind of a deviant, hmm?' ('Destiny').

Angel does not seem the least bothered about being though of as gay in Expecting. He tells Wesley it adds mystery.
Good one. I'd forgotten they'd called attention to it so overtly.

Spanky

Black Thorn
Angel is actually one of very few characters from BtVS that never expresses any negative feelings towards homosexuality.
Cool. But there is difference between homosexual feelings and homosexual feelings towards Lindsey, whom arguably is his arch nemesis.

W

WillowFromBuffy

Cool. But there is difference between homosexual feelings and homosexual feelings towards Lindsey, whom arguably is his arch nemesis.
I was responding to this:
But that's why I think so. Because Angel, being a manly bloke, would have had disdain for, in his opinion, such a deviant feeling. He would want to lash out, dehumanize and trivialize the object of these feelings. Something akin to what Larry did to Xander.
No, there is no reason to believe he would. If romantic feelings towards Lindsey - which there is little evidence he had - made Angel upset, it would be because Lindsey is a scumbag.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
I think Angel gets a little too much pleasure from kicking Lindsey's ass, while Lindsey gets a lot too much pleasure from scheming against him. It's an obsession on Lindsey's end, almost like what Spike had for Buffy before he fell for her.

Also Eve calls Angel the center of Lindsey's universe. Take that how you wish.

thrasherpix

Scooby
There are days like today in which I wonder if love is indistinguishable from loathing.

You know, Spuffy. :p

That is, like this (a song that once seemed to play every few minutes on the radio and won awards and a Grammy nomination):

I'll try to remember to tell the next people who argue on BB to get a room, and to remember the only reason someone is annoyed with me is because I turn them on and they want me to pay attention to them. :D

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Lindsey had a definite man-crush on Angel, and Angel taunted him with that knowledge and used it to his advantage when nessesary.

I mean, I could see that interpretation of their relationship, especially in S5. Hell, I actually ship these two a little bit.

SES SA

Potential
Yes to Lindsey, no to Angel. Angel meant more to Lindsey in every way than vice versa.

Top Bottom