• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Was what up with Gwen's background story?

This Year's Girl

Grateful grapefruit
Sineya
I was always a little bit confused about the choice the writers made when they decided to show a background story for Gwen. This made me curious and I felt like I started to care for her. But then they didn't go anywhere with it, and Gwen wasn't featured much at all after that.

What was this about? Was she not recived well by the audience? Did something happen to the actress, like did she quit? Or was there another reason for it?

kittenpoker

Raising penguins in Guam
Sineya
oooh oooh ooooh!!! I saw this thread and got really excited and wanted to jump in! But I don't really have anything to contribute in terms of an answer. I LOVE (love love love love love) Gwen and I do wish she was featured in more episodes. Her story does continue in the comics though.

Black Thorn
Interesting cause I always thought about it too...like shes loved by fans and she was showed that backstory and not even used but a few episodes...I guess shes just like Phantom Dennis character just to make you feel for her on the ep

This Year's Girl

Grateful grapefruit
Sineya
oooh oooh ooooh!!! I saw this thread and got really excited and wanted to jump in! But I don't really have anything to contribute in terms of an answer. I LOVE (love love love love love) Gwen and I do wish she was featured in more episodes. Her story does continue in the comics though.
Lol! I'm glad you got excited! :D Maybe I shouldn't have phrased the post the way I did. I just wasn't sure if this was something everyone knew besides me. But what do YOU think it played out the way it did? It doesn't have to be a "real" answer. :)

Is she in the angel comics? I have never read those. :)

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Interesting cause I always thought about it too...like shes loved by fans and she was showed that backstory and not even used but a few episodes...I guess shes just like Phantom Dennis character just to make you feel for her on the ep
Yay, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I guess that could make sense, but I feel like they could've made us like her in other ways than showing that rather complicated story? It really made me think that she was going to be someone that appeared on the show a lot.

I would've liked it if she was around more! There were a lot of guys in Ats, and the girls in it (although I LOVED Cordy!) was a little.... like, they needed to be rescued a lot. It would've been nice with a character like Gwen in the mix too!

Tome

Berktwad
Black Thorn
I agree Miki... It was weird that they gave us this background story and never had her become a regular character. I'm guessing fans just didn't show enough interest. Personally(and Abby is gonna kill me) I don't really care about her character. So I didn't mind that she only rarely appeared afterward. :p But I guess, Gunn and Gwen could have been a good ship.

K
kittenpoker
you're a dead man! ;-)

Taake

Raise your hand if... EW
Staff member
Black Thorn
Gwen had the potential to be a great new character and she was just kind of pushed to the side :S Such a waste. I wish I had an answer too though I'm sure it wouldn't satisfy those of us who wanted to see more of Gwen. I think she would have given a very interesting dynamic to the team but I suppose that at that point they were kind of juggling with a rather large amount of regulars already so had Gwen joined someone might have needed to go :S

Xin Rong

Killed by Dissertation
Gwen was a wonderful character... I loved everything about her and would have been great as a regular character, guessing it must be a real life issue, such as actor issues, production etc, otherwise I don't see why Joss would have had her reappear in the characters.

orpheusxi

Potential
Probably because that season was really hectic & had so much going on. Between The Beast, possessed Cordelia, & Jasmine I dont see where she would have fit in. Had the season went in another direction where things weren't so hectic I think she could have definitely fit in.

Abbeycat

Werewolf
Sineya
I can barely remember her back story. Gwen definitely should have been in more episodes. I think she might have been helpful in last few episodes in season 5. I don't know.

SlayerFest

Wiley Dairy Gnome
Black Thorn
She kind of disappeared after her fling with Gunn. It was odd. I wish she had come back in season 5, they totally could have used her help. Something about her character bothered me but I also kind of liked her haha. AtS had a few random/abrupt character exits, like Kate for instance (who annoyed the hell out of me) so I wasn't too surprised when she just sort of...vanished.

InsaneMystic

Ex-Scooby
There definitely should have been more Gwen! Her not being brought back as a recurring role, and instead just disapearing tracelessly from the plot after her thing with Gunn is one of the things that irk me about S5.

Tome

Berktwad
Black Thorn
There definitely should have been more Gwen! Her not being brought back as a recurring role, and instead just disapearing tracelessly from the plot after her thing with Gunn is one of the things that irk me about S5.
I agree that completely excluding her from S5 was stupid(and adding Nina and Eve even worse). What else irks you about S5, though? ;) You should start a thread 'bout it!

I
InsaneMystic
I remember there having been threads like that before, seems they got old enough to end up in the Cemetery by now ^^

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Gwen was a fantastic addition to the cast & I loved that she got such a back story and focus and she's a popular character. I wish that the writers hadn't misused Gwen and they had given her much more to do & given her a prominent role because she was so interesting. Everything about her!

Top Bottom