1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Was Xander to blame?

Discussion in 'Season 2' started by redruM, Feb 26, 2016.

1. zianna

zianna Townie

"The Xander betrayal issue. It hasn't come up with us, and here's why. Xander made a decision. Like a general going into battle, he had to keep Buffy's fighting spirit strong and he felt telling her the truth would blunt it. And Angel needed to be stopped. It was a tough decision, and an unpopular one, but I'm not sure it wasn't the right one. I'm on the fence, and that's what makes it FUN! So there."

Joss Whedon

2. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Giles kicks Xander out of the library, Xander forgets about his pain immediately to save Cordelia.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Xander was just humiliated by a frat jackass, forgets about his pain immediately to comfort Buffy.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Xander just got injured by a demon, forgets about his pain immediately to comfort Anya.

Xander Harris: “My pain is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things”

(gifs by rorysummersblog )

Also, this thread Selfless Xander Moments

3. Dora

Dora Potential

Xander was wrong he should have told Buffy, he let his feelings for Buffy and his hatred for Angel cloud his judgement. Buffy would do what had to be done because as Giles puts it...she's a hero !

4. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Except Giles' "Buffy's a hero" speech was in regards to Buffy being unable to bring herself to kill Ben despite the fact that doing so would stop Glory.

sosa lola likes this.
  5. Icarium

Icarium Scooby

Which was why that speech by Giles was seventy-eight shades of stupid.

6. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    I think that by this point the conversation has moved on from Xander in Becoming, but just to add my two cents....

Some fans believe that Xander lied to Buffy due to jealousy and resentment, but I disagree. I think Xander just believed things had gotten too far, and that they were toying with the fate of the Earth by banking on Willow coming through and Buffy being able to stall Angelus without severe consequences. Xander's quarrel with Angel/Angelus made him less sympathetic to Angel's situation and more motivated to act on his own. Remember that Willow had been toying with magic and wanted to be successful as much as she wanted to help Angel and Buffy. And Buffy was in love with Angel. No one in that situation was unbiased and no decision was purely rational and pragmatic.

That being said, Xander chose to omit essencial information from Buffy so, he too, was toying with fate. Imagine Buffy had decapitated Angelus faster than she did? Angel's body wouldn't have closed Acathla and the world would have gone to hell. Literally. And imagine if Angelus had killed Buffy? If Buffy had know of Willow's plan, she could have chosen to distract Angelus and keep him away from Acathla while the spell did its thing. On the other hand, Buffy could have gotten herself killed by Angelus due to not being "in the game". Or Willow's spell could have fallen through which would have thrown Buffy off, thus dooming the Earth.

There were so many possibilities, so many scenarios in which the world ended and so many scenarios in which everything turned out fine, including Angel. I can't say that Xander did the wrong thing, but he does have to shoulder the blame of misleading Buffy which, in the end, led her to kill Angel. I don't fault Xander too much for his decision, but it was Buffy's right and job to be fully informed. Buffy had proven herself capable many times despite recent events, and, as the slayer whose job was to stop the world from being sucked to hell, the very least Xander could have done was tell her the truth and not lead her into battle misinformed. Then again, Xander was trying to help and he also put his life in danger without any superpowers, so I have to cut him some slack.

There's truly no right or wrong here, but the best decision in terms of morality would have been to not lie to Buffy. Nevertheless, Xander made a choice and, right or wrong, has to accept responsibility in what happened. Unlike Buffy who unknowingly unleashed Angelus, Xander had a choice and is not blameless. However, not being blameless is not the same as being guilty of sending Angel to hell. He didn't raise Acathla or fought Angelus or put a sword through Angel's heart.

GraceK likes this.
  7. Icarium

Icarium Scooby

What's that got to do with Xander's lie? Buffy already knew how to stop Acathla because Whistler told her "Then only Angel's blood will close it. One blow will send 'em both back to Hell.".

8. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I think it would've been worse for Buffy if she'd known about Willow's spell because she would've had hope. Because Buffy was tied up with the hench vampire and Spike was caught up with Drusilla, Angelus had opportunity to pull the sword meaning it became a fight to the death. Because of the fact that Buffy had resolved to kill Angelus, when he did turn back to Angel, she knew she had to hold on to that resolve to sacrifice Angel to save the world. If she'd thought there was a chance to save Angel with that spell, she would've gone into that fight thinking there was hope that it could all end happily so it would've been even worse when she had to sacrifice Angel because her hopes would've been cruelly dashed.

9. Dora

Dora Potential

Nothing to,do with Giles Speech, Buffy says it all in her Song in OMWF every single day the same old story i go out and fight the fight she was a hero every day, she could not have killed Ben he was human. Angel was cured and she still killed him to save the world, Angel that she loved more than she will love anything in this world she was able to kill Angel because he was a vampire not Human. Spike was the inconsistent one , with his speech about happy meals and Manchester united then sees Angelus with as sword at Buffy neck struggs and leaves her... Buffy would have done the right thing and with knowledge of what willow was attempting might have been able to play it differently. but it might have put herself in more harm .Xander was wrong he lied and kept that lie until season seven