• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

We should stop using Anti-Animal language

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
So says PETA. They provided helpful alternatives so that we can wean ourselves off of the damaging and hurtful popular phrases.

1544016976040.png

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
I find "bring home the bagels" could be construed as being derogatory to Jewish people. As "bring home the bagels" is meant to imply bringing home money, and being bagels and Jewish culture is often time synonymous with one another, it seems that PETA could be helping further racial stereotypes as Jewish people being money obsessive.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Most stereoetypes are based on fact. Just saying.

EarthLogic

"she went as limp as an overcooked piece of pasta"
Black Thorn
'Feed two birds with one scone' - ironic as you're not actually supposed to feed birds bread because it makes them obese and ill.

Spanky
Spanky
Another excellent point. PETA is so insensitive and uncaring. They would rather the birds have a slow death from overeating than a quick death from a stone.

Nix

Evil Nix
Sineya
Hahahaha too funny

A popular one here is "like a Bull in a china shop!"

Black Thorn
Screw PETA. These are the same people who think it's okay to throw red paint on people wearing fur. My God, if they did that to me, I'd slaughter them. And I'd smile while I did it.

CharlieGunn1

Ready for battle...
I'm as progressive as they come, (well maybe not 'as they come') but this sort of speech policing is ridiculous.

No sane person takes these sayings to mean we should be harming animals. Also, there are for better evils in the world to be fighting. We have actual Nazi's running around, I think we can give the language rules a rest until we've dealt with say climate change, or voting rights.

There are tons of sayings in the English language that are terrible hold overs from deeply racist and sexist tropes, the worst die out on their own as people realize how terrible they are. Think about the last time you heard someone say "sold down the river", "Indian giver", "uppity", You hardly ever hear them any more because most people have over time realized how messed up they sound, and have removed them from their vernacular.

The big difference is that people aren't going to stop eating animals tomorrow, and many people who consider themselves vegan's aren't demanding that other people do.

Maybe instead of educating people on offensive 'animalist' phrases, (can't believe i just said that) educate them on the benefits of a vegetarian diet, the cruelty towards animals, and let the language fix itself over time. Considering climate change, we may all end up having to eat fake meat and algae paste to survive anyways. That'll be a real Kelp patch*... let me tell you. :)

*copyrighted 2018 -Charliegunn1

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
I still say Indian giver. 😛
Black Thorn
More nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

More nervous than a stray dog near a Chinese kitchen.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Them trollops from PETA really do hate animals don't they?

The flour you had laced with rat poison to kill the rats they made into scones to feed the birds
who ended up being the Guinea pigs, the birds then comes the joke, to beat a dead horse they chose to feed a fed horse.
Horses will only eat as much as they need to, so the trollops at PETA think its okay to then feed them, that is animal cruelty.
Gotta say I love the saying like a bull in a china shop, that's gotta be sexist and racist, as a bull is a male cow and those poor folk in a Chinese shop.
I'm guessing the dog wasn't a stray at all you just said that to be nice, I'm guessing the mutt was a sailor as during the storm, when the thunder became consistent it saw the Chinese kitchen as, ' any port in a storm.'
Now, about the Turkey yous is getting for chrissy, who is gonna taste it first?

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
I have absolutely NO idea what you just said. 😅
EarthLogic
EarthLogic
I think 'china shop' means a shop that sells Chinaware i.e. ceramics, not a shop run by Chinese people
I knew a guy who used to work at an animal shelter. While he shares sad stories of his time there and also what he thinks are terrible practices, he once read something PETA mailed him and he was stunned by the audacity of their lies that blew it all out of proportion and wasn't even close to accurate (and asking for money to fight it).

I personally know that while no-kill shelters are very difficult to operate, they do exist...none owned by PETA who refuse to donate or otherwise help with no-kill shelters.

That aside...my favorite was their trying to get fish renamed "sea kittens" so that people would stop hooking and eating them. :D (There is something to be said about manipulative use of language, but PETA lacks skill in that area. But then I doubt their bureaucracy would actually want their stated goals reached because that would mean no more funding.)

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
That aside...my favorite was their trying to get fish renamed "sea kittens" so that people would stop hooking and eating them
Honestly, if I caught a fish kitten on my pole I certainly would eat it.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Spanky I do agree with you on that, and if you had waited until it became a bit more adult and became known as a Catfish.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Spanky I do agree with you on that, and if you had waited until it became a bit more adult and became known as a Catfish.
I don't like catfish. Doesn't taste that good. And they are bottom feeders. They are fun to catch though. Unless they prick you. You have to handle them carefully lest you get fish handlers disease.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
There's a lot of them PETA trollops who are allowed to eat white meat, so pound the catfish to look like a leek.

Black Thorn
Them trollops from PETA really do hate animals don't they?

The flour you had laced with rat poison to kill the rats they made into scones to feed the birds
who ended up being the Guinea pigs, the birds then comes the joke, to beat a dead horse they chose to feed a fed horse.
Horses will only eat as much as they need to, so the trollops at PETA think its okay to then feed them, that is animal cruelty.
Gotta say I love the saying like a bull in a china shop, that's gotta be sexist and racist, as a bull is a male cow and those poor folk in a Chinese shop.
I'm guessing the dog wasn't a stray at all you just said that to be nice, I'm guessing the mutt was a sailor as during the storm, when the thunder became consistent it saw the Chinese kitchen as, ' any port in a storm.'
Now, about the Turkey yous is getting for chrissy, who is gonna taste it first?
c819885be868942c940c214b7fd0a91d.jpg

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
What's this, another compliment? Anyone would think its nearly Christmas

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
To feed a fed horse sounds like a Buffy-ism. However, I think it would be more cruel to force feed a fed horse than to beat one that was already dead, even if the latter implies that you also beat live horses, fed or not.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
They missed some of the truly horrific ones that make people cry all the time:

'Only one way to skin a cat' - Nightmarish and enabling cat-hate/murder. Try 'Only one way to stroke a pussy' sounds more wholesome.

'Shooting fish in a barrel'- Often used by NRA gun-nuts and the like who love nothing more than shooting any animal that moves. Disgusting. Try 'catching fish in a barrel'.

'Lie down with dogs and you'll get fleas'- Clearly anti-dog for it assumes all dogs are filthy disease carriers. Urgh. Try 'lie down with dogs and you'll get licked/nuzzled'. Far more accurate.

But still, I'm glad PETA is doing something about this critical issue whilst everyone else treats it like its nothing. So we can't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Top Bottom