• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Week 18: Angel & Faith #21-25

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
This week we are discussing Angel & Faith, volume 5 (issues #21-25).

"What You Want, Not What You Need, Part I"
Writer: Christos Gage Penciller: Rebekah Isaacs
The time has come for Angel to make good on his promise to resurrect Giles—but at the same time, Season 9’s Big Bads, Pearl and Nash, together with Angel’s own mentor, Whistler, gather the final pieces needed to harness the last magical powers on Earth for their own apocalyptic plan.

"What You Want, Not What You Need, Part II"
Giles’s resurrection has been pushed to the back burner while Angel and Faith tackle Season 9’s Big Bads—Pearl, Nash, and Whistler—who threaten to release boundless magic over the planet. Only the strong will survive!

"What You Want, Not What You Need, Part III"
Preventing Pearl, Nash, and Whistler from releasing their magical virus proves difficult for Angel and Faith. The duo is outmatched! Enter Nadira. Could this hate-filled Slayer lend a helpful hand or will she use this opportunity to end Angel for good?!

"What You Want, Not What You Need, Part IV"
Angel and Faith will need all the help they can get when it comes to stopping this season's ubervillains from unleashing a magic-fueled plague on the earth. Enter an archmage, a former Watcher, and two socialites who’ve dabbled in magic . . . Will it be enough?

"What You Want, Not What You Need, Part V"
Millions of lives hang in the balance, and Angel and Faith just might be on the losing end of this battle. It’s times like these that call for drastic measures - How far will they go to save the world? Lives are lost, heroes are born, and as one chapter ends, another begins...

Source: Wikipedia

What did you think?

Priceless

Scooby
An excellent finish to a very good season. Very tight story-telling, great art work, there is very little to criticise here, and I enjoyed it even more the second time around.

The best part for me was Giles's reaction to his resurrection, and his anger at Angel, which felt very real. The only criticism I would have was that the sexual stuff weirded me out and I wish Gage hadn't felt the need to enforce Giles's young age with anything sexual. I think he was trying to be funny, but it just came off as creepy.

One thing that occured to me that I didn't think of at first reading was the similarity between Willow and Whistler and their joint thirst for magic. It seemed like for both of them, magic was the only thing that gave their lives meaning, and both were tortured by it's loss in very similar ways.

Season 9 Angel & Faith was much better than it's Buffy counterpart overall, it's story quality was higher and I would definitely recommend it to everyone. (Though for me the pregnancy story line in Buffy was the best throughout both comics S9)

wickedwillow
wickedwillow
[No message]

wickedwillow

Potential
One thing that occured to me that I didn't think of at first reading was the similarity between Willow and Whistler and their joint thirst for magic. It seemed like for both of them, magic was the only thing that gave their lives meaning, and both were tortured by it's loss in very similar ways.

I like your observation, I didn't really think about how Willow and Whistler mirror each other. I was genuinely sad when Whistler died.

I almost checked out when the pregnancy turned out to be a weird robot swap, I felt emotionally invested in such a difficult choice for a young woman, with all the extra implications of that young woman being Buffy. I wonder why they just snuffed that story out like that. I remember it got coverage in The Guardian about how brave and ground breaking Btvs was still being.

Priceless

Scooby
@wickedwillow I was sad to see Whistler die too, he was such a good character, not one dimensional. I think he and Willow did mirror each other and show how different people dealt with the loss of magic and how it affected them.

I loved the pregnancy story, but I didn't really want Buffy to have a baby, so for me it really dealt well with it, and Buffy made the decision to have an abortion, which I supported. But now I would love to see one of the scoobies have a baby, either Willow or Dawn, if either of them can have a strong stable relationship.

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn

Baby-plots are notoriously, consistently bad, and Buffy doesn't really need a baby plot because Dawn was her child for all intents and purposes, but there ARE some characters that could potentially have a good baby-plot... Faith could be REALLY interesting as a mom, simply because she's so un-motherly. Willow could also be interesting, because she's so motherly that it could be interesting to see a story in which she fails at it somehow. Xander could also be interesting as a parent, because he's so inherently childish, and because he had such crappy parents. And if Oz ever came back in a more extensive role, it could be cool to explore his parenthood.

wickedwillow

Potential
Baby-plots are notoriously, consistently bad, and Buffy doesn't really need a baby plot because Dawn was her child for all intents and purposes, but there ARE some characters that could potentially have a good baby-plot... Faith could be REALLY interesting as a mom, simply because she's so un-motherly. Willow could also be interesting, because she's so motherly that it could be interesting to see a story in which she fails at it somehow. Xander could also be interesting as a parent, because he's so inherently childish, and because he had such crappy parents. And if Oz ever came back in a more extensive role, it could be cool to explore his parenthood.

I would love Oz to come back, especially with little baby Ozes in tow.
Faith has become a leader with the younger slayers, but having a child would be a new dynamic, do you think it would soften her, or she'd be more like a ferocious Tiger Mum?

Reactions: Guy

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
I would love Oz to come back, especially with little baby Ozes in tow.
Faith has become a leader with the younger slayers, but having a child would be a new dynamic, do you think it would soften her, or she'd be more like a ferocious Tiger Mum?

I don't know... I think she'd be very determined to NOT be like her parents, but at the same time she'd find herself being very similiar to them in all sorts of ways, which would piss her off... I think one of the interesting things about preggers-Faith would be to contrast her with Buffy, who chose to have an abortion in season 9. Not as any kind of moral statement, just as a character study. Buffy chose an abortion because she thought that she couldn't be a good parent at the time, despite being able to put her slaying aside, so Faith should be the opposite. Faith would probably choose to have a baby as some way of proving to herself that she's different from her own neglectful parents, and she'd probably be constantly torn between her parenthood and her slayerness... I don'y know, there's tons of ways this kind of story could go. I'm not sure which way I want it to go, but I know that all of these possibilities make it a potentially exciting story. Would Faith get knocked up from a one-night-stand? It could be ironic if she got knocked up when she tries an actual romantic relationship for the first time in years, and then the father would be scared away, or maybe she'd push him away... I'm pretty sure she'd be a single mom.

So many possibilities... I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't soften Faith, though.

wickedwillow

Potential
I don't know... I think she'd be very determined to NOT be like her parents, but at the same time she'd find herself being very similiar to them in all sorts of ways, which would piss her off... .

I like all your ideas, I can picture them so much. Faith has always been one of my favourite characters, I really wish she'd had some sort of spin off when Buffy finished.

Reactions: Guy
Top Bottom