• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Week 20: Buffy Season 10 #6-10

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
This week we are discussing Buffy Season 10, volume 2 (issues #6-10).

"I Wish, Part I"
Writer: Christos Gage Penciller: Karl Moline and Cliff Richards
What should have been a simple exorcism turns into a disaster for Buffy and the Scoobies when, instead of horrors, a demon fights back with blissful childhood fantasies!

"I Wish, Part II"
Writer: Christos Gage and Nicholas Brendon Penciller: Rebekah Isaacs
As Spike and Xander bond—while also seriously getting on each other's nerves—they are tempted to start writing some rules of their own in the book of magical laws... concerning Buffy and Dawn!

"Return To Sunnydale, Part I"
Writer: Christos Gage Penciller: Rebekah Isaacs and Richard Corben
A Halloween issue spectacular takes Buffy and crew back to Sunnydale as they follow the stolen Vampyr book, finding a massive magical party at the Hellmouth-and a demon devouring revelers!

"Return To Sunnydale, Part II"
Writer: Christos Gage Penciller: Rebekah Isaacs
The Sunnydale homecoming becomes less than fun as Buffy, Spike, and Willow realize that Andrew is in over his head with the Vampyr rules book and a terrible plan, and the demon they’re up against has a grudge against Slayers and a penchant for eating souls . . .

"Day Off (or Harmony In My Head)"
Writer: Christos Gage Penciller: Rebekah Isaacs
With the responsibility of writing new rules in the Vampyr book, Buffy and crew are literally the bosses of all magic—but as more baddies learn who has the power, protecting the book is becoming a full-time job!

Source: Wikipedia

Last edited:

Priceless

Scooby
Loved this volume. There is no bad here. Spike and Xander are wonderful as the odd couple roomates, so funny together. Spike and Buffy are starting to sort things out and I cannot wait for them to finally get together.

Loved seeing everyone in their perfect families, and how quickly Xander guessed it was all fake. Andrew was doing something stupid again, and I am glad Tara didn't come back. Willow was very much herself, more than she has been in previous stories. Even Clem and Harmony were sweet and I love the fact there are now unicorns in the world, each unicorn a symbol of how much Clem loves Harm :)

sosa lola

Scooby
There's something so sad about Xander quickly dismissing his parents being decent and loving. Xander and Willow hated their childhood so much and it helped them get back to reality faster than the others.

If I wasn't mistaken, that was the only scene in the comics where Xander and Willow are alone together. They're supposed to be best friends and yet they never share a scene alone.

wickedwillow

Potential
I really loved this section so much, it reminded me of the best of the telly series, with laughs and drama and friendship and romance, and a random Spike and Xander topless pillow fight (it gave me a flashback to season 7 'Beneath You' when Spike and Xander look at each other when asked if any of the scoobies hasn't slept with each other)! I could hear the actor's voices in my head when I was reading it, it all felt alive. I've just rewatched season 6 Buffy where I think the character of Xander was a little bit iffy, but in this comic I remembered why I liked him so much.
One thing I am not quite sure of, is it something I've forgotten from an earlier comic, is Xander suffering from PTSD? I was little confused by his random violent outbursts, but thought it was nice the other characters are being supportive of him, but if there's background to this story line, it's kind of all slipped away from my mess of a mind.

Priceless

Scooby
One thing I am not quite sure of, is it something I've forgotten from an earlier comic, is Xander suffering from PTSD? I was little confused by his random violent outbursts, but thought it was nice the other characters are being supportive of him, but if there's background to this story line, it's kind of all slipped away from my mess of a mind.

The PTSD storyline is an odd one, because there was no mention of it, then suddenly Xander had it and everyone just accepted it. With all he's been through it's not a surprise he's suffering some form of anxiety, but there never seemed a point where he was diagnosed, we just have to accept that he has it. That's one of the reason it would have been nice to see a Dr Mike session, so we can see either some diagnosis or treatment

wickedwillow

Potential
The PTSD storyline is an odd one, because there was no mention of it, then suddenly Xander had it and everyone just accepted it. With all he's been through it's not a surprise he's suffering some form of anxiety, but there never seemed a point where he was diagnosed, we just have to accept that he has it. That's one of the reason it would have been nice to see a Dr Mike session, so we can see either some diagnosis or treatment

Glad to know that my memory hasn't got so bad, but it's a strange editorial choice to just drop it in with no introduction. It is an interesting subject to explore, the serious mental trauma on the 'normal' comic character, but not sure how it's going to fit in to the wider story telling.

sosa lola

Scooby
I think itvwas triggered by Giles' death. The anger outbursts started from there. It was the last straw after so many loved you ones dying and Xander bottling those feelings inside and never talking about them: Jesse, Anya, Renee

Priceless

Scooby
Oh where did it crop up Xander saying he's got PTSD? I must've missed that

I'm not sure he does, it's just accepted and assumed that it's PTSD because we don't see Xander go to the doctor for treatment or a diagnosis. It's just something we have to accept happened 'off-screen'. It would have been nice to see one scene with Doctor Mike, who is mentioned several times. As @sosa lola says, with all he's been through, it's totally understandable he would have PTSD

wickedwillow

Potential
Ah okay.

Kinda surprised they all don't have PTSD on some spectrum to be honest.

I think maybe they don't normally get any time to relax and think about what's actually happening to them. Although Buffy and Willow have a pretty rough time in the last couple of telly seasons.

Top Bottom