• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Week 21: Buffy Season 10 #11-15

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
This week we are discussing Buffy Season 10, volume 3 (issues #11-15).

"Love Dares You, Part I"
Writer: Christos Gage and Nicholas Brendon Penciller: Megan Levens
With the magical side of things momentarily under control, Buffy and crew have a chance to deal with their personal lives: things heat up between Xander and Dawn, young Giles is visited by an old flame, Andrew introduces some new friends, and the Slayer is totally set for round one of speed dating! Then the bad guy shows up.

"Love Dares You, Part II"
Buffy and her crew are on the cusp of some monumental relationship stuff, but entanglements are waylaid when they’re forced to fight a new evil and the flesh homunculi he creates . . .

"Love Dares You, Part III"
Some suspiciously supernatural murders have Spike, Xander, Willow, and Giles in a conundrum. They have to talk to Buffy, but there’s something about the killer they’re pretty sure she’s not going to like . . . Meanwhile, Andrew gets some relationship advice from Buffy!

"Relationship Status: Complicated, Part I"
Writer: Christos Gage Penciller: Rebekah Isaacs
While traveling into Spike’s mind and seeing his past and present, Buffy looks for clues about the newest threat in San Francisco: someone or something with a deep connection to Spike!

"Relationship Status: Complicated, Conclusion"
Writer: Christos Gage Penciller: Rebekah Isaacs
Buffy and the gang come face to face with a terrifying new demon that shares a special bond with Spike, threatening his growing connection to the Slayer.

Source: Wikipedia

Priceless

Scooby
I did love this volume from a Spuffy perspective and there are several scenes I've read many times because they are so sweet. As the titles indicate, the action is all about relationships. Spike and Buffy finally get together :D Their kiss in the cementary just made me smile. Then of course Spike says the wrong thing and spoils it, but it wouldn't be Spuffy without a few mis-steps.

Buffy has to take a trip through Spikes memories and she sees how much he truly loves her and Spike has his strings pulled by an old one, but manages to resist, all of which I enjoyed. Theres a lovely moment when Spike has to ring Angel and says to Giles 'She always picks him. Always', poor Spike :( lets hope it'll be different this time.

Dawn and Xander decide to just be friends. Willow breaks up with Aluwyn. Andrew falls for Clive and realises he is gay. Personally I love all this relationship stuff, but on second reading there is stuff I don't like, such as Spike rescuing kittens which was too sappy even for me. I didn't like Andrew having to take a potion to be confident, then running away when the potion wears off. I am so bored with Andrew's issues, just sort yourself out! :eek:

I also wish Giles would either grow up or not be so good at magic, because his talent sort of makes Willow redundant. There isn't room for two highly skilled witches in this group, and Willow is being over shadowed by Giles.

There are also some lovely funny moments too, mainly when Xander over reacts to Spike thinking he may be killing again, or when Buffy sees Spikes memory of sleeping with Harmony, and when Giles tries to persuade Spike to be the bigger man when dealing with Angel, and of course Spike cana't help but be his usual childish self.

GoSpuffy
GoSpuffy
I was right there with you :)
wickedwillow
wickedwillow
[No message]

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
I also wish Giles would either grow up or not be so good at magic, because his talent sort of makes Willow redundant. There isn't room for two highly skilled witches in this group, and Willow is being over shadowed by Giles.
Um, how is that any different than Willow and Tara? Season 10 isn't the first time we had 2 witches at the same time...

Priceless

Scooby
Um, how is that any different than Willow and Tara? Season 10 isn't the first time we had 2 witches at the same time...
Willow was always the stronger of the two, Tara says that herself.

In this volume Buffy even comments on how good Giles is with magic. Giles says in his old life he repressed his natural talents but now he has a second chance of developing them. Willow and Giles work together a lot with the magics, and there's little distinction between them. I'd like Willow to stand out more , perhaps have some stories centred around her. I'm hoping that will happen in season 11.

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
Willow was always the stronger of the two, Tara says that herself.

In this volume Buffy even comments on how good Giles is with magic. Giles says in his old life he repressed his natural talents but now he has a second chance of developing them. Willow and Giles work together a lot with the magics, and there's little distinction between them. I'd like Willow to stand out more , perhaps have some stories centred around her. I'm hoping that will happen in season 11.
1) Willow WASN'T always stronger than Tara. In season 4, Tara was the more experienced one. Willow only surpassed her in season 5.

2) Willow is still much stronger than Giles, although Giles is stronger than he was before and Willow is weaker than in season 8.

I think the only real problem is that Willow's role in season 10 is a little smaller than in previous seasons. But that's natural - in every season someone gets smaller roles than others. In season 8, Giles' role was small. In season 9, Xander and Dawn got TINY roles. In season 10, Willow is a little smaller than usual. I don't think it's a major problem. I actually think that season 10 did a better job than most when it comes to giving everyone enough screentime. (I haven't read the last 2 issues yet, though... No spoilers please)

But I agree that Willow's role should be bigger in season 11.

Priceless

Scooby
Season 10 has been great, and it's a very small criticism that I would like Willow to get more airtime in S11. I've not read the whole of the season yet either; my biggest hope would be that Andrew has vanished never to be seen again :)

Reactions: Guy

wickedwillow

Potential
Season 10 has been great, and it's a very small criticism that I would like Willow to get more airtime in S11. I've not read the whole of the season yet either; my biggest hope would be that Andrew has vanished never to be seen again :)
poor Andrew :) although I always had a soft spot for Jonathan so I shouldn't be too fond of the guy who killed him.

On a wider note this has been my favourite Buffy collection so far, I think I'm a sucker for romance. I like Spike and Xander being buddies too, it's a nice contrast to the tv show when Xander was always against Buffy's vampire lovers, and I've never quite forgiven the writers for that scene where Xander just blurts out to Dawn about Spike attempting to rape Buffy, it was so horribly handled. Anyways though, this is all wonderful.

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
I like Xander and Spike together as friends too, mostly for Xander's sake as I feel he needs some guy friends in his life. I'd like to see a character in S11 that Spike hates, that way we'd get to hear more of his funny one liners. A mad Spike is often an entertaining Spike. I haven't like any of Willow's relationships since Tara so I hope she gets a decent girl friend this time around. And please tell me Giles grows up before he gets his own series.

wickedwillow

Potential
I like Xander and Spike together as friends too, mostly for Xander's sake as I feel he needs some guy friends in his life. I'd like to see a character in S11 that Spike hates, that way we'd get to hear more of his funny one liners. A mad Spike is often an entertaining Spike. I haven't like any of Willow's relationships since Tara so I hope she gets a decent girl friend this time around. And please tell me Giles grows up before he gets his own series.
Now you mention it, I realise that Xander hasn't had a proper guy friend since Jesse way back at the beginning of season 1. The men that have flittered about have never really bonded with him, have they? And he is so good with the gang of potential male friends in The Zeppo :)

Top Bottom