• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Week 3: Season 8 #11-15

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
This week we are discussing Buffy Season 8, volume 3 (issues #11-15).

"A Beautiful Sunset"
Writer: Joss Whedon Penciller: Georges Jeanty
Buffy invites Satsu to dust a group of vampires at a graveyard. There, Buffy declares to her that she knows Satsu planted the true love's kiss on her when she was bound in sleep. Suddenly, Twilight attacks both of the girls and introduces to Buffy his malicious plan to destroy all of the Slayers.

"Wolves at the Gate, Part I"
Writer: Drew Goddard Penciller: Georges Jeanty
Just when Xander, Renée, Andrew, Willow, and Dawn all walk in on Buffy and Satsu naked in bed, a group of Japanese vampires breach the castle walls and successfully steal the Scythe. In need for assistance to defeat the vampires, Xander seeks an old friend,Dracula.

"Wolves at the Gate, Part II"
When confronted by Xander about the Japanese vampires, Dracula realizes the group has stolen his unique powers, and commits to help out of pride. Meanwhile, Buffy is preparing an all-out assault against the vampires, who have been spotted in Tokyo by the slayer Aiko. The vampires spot Aiko's surveillance and set an ambush: the female vampire Kumiko uses the Scythe to magically revert Aiko into a regular, helpless girl, and the vampire leader Toru then kills her.

"Wolves at the Gate, Part III"
Buffy and her team arrive in Japan to find Aiko's corpse strung up with a welcome message written in her blood. They meet up with Xander, Renée, and Dracula, who teaches Willow a spell to contain the desolidifying vampires. With Giant Dawn as a distraction, the team assaults the vampires' lair, only to discover that it's a trap as Toru appears behind them and impales Renée on the scythe.

"Wolves at the Gate, Part IV"
Dracula sends Willow to perform the spell to destroy the vampires' special powers. No longer invincible, the Slayers charge and attack all of the vampires. Dawn is confronted by a mecha version of herself.

Source: Wikipedia

Priceless

Scooby
I am half way through and thinking it's funnier than I rememeber, with Xander, Drac and Andrew all used to good comic effect.

I thought the whole Satsu relationship was quite comic too, though a bit too farcical for me, with everyone walking into Buffy's bedroom, the comedy felt a bit forced. I did enjoy Willow asking Satsu for details, and Satsu saying nothing :)

I've had problems previosuly with that characters not sounding like themselves and so far that's only happened once, when Buffy calls Twilight an ass-clown, which felt more of a Xander line than Buffy. I also had the same problem that Buffy seems very thirsty all the way through S8 and I never rememebred her being so on tv?

Scotland looked more like medieval Amsterdam to me :) I can't judge how well the artist captured Tokyo.

I liked the Twilight tease . . . who is this masked demon?? I also liked the lack of dialogue, and the art speaking for itself more. Also liked Peter Lorre as Butterfield, nice touch and I could hear his voice in my head. Glad we are seeing some new Vampires now, and not just constantly resurrecting previous enemies.

Wish Drac hadn't said filthy yellow swine twice, but maybe I'm being over sensitive, and it was noted he was being racist.

sosa lola

Scooby
#11 A Beautiful Sunset

"Once upon a time... I did something good," Buffy.

I loved Buffy talking about sharing her power and about not doing things alone. Everything is a team effort and that's when BtVS is great. I especially loved seeing the moment Satsu was called - she was bullied at school. There are a lot of small stuff I like about Satsu, like her stuffed animals - she's the best new character in the comics.

Simone already rebelled. I can't believe that Rona sent her to Andrew of all people. Shouldn't she be sent to Giles? Even if the Scoobies consider Andrew one of them, he's still inexperienced when dealing with rouge slayers.

Love the Buffy/Xander closeness. I feel that he's her best friend right now and not Willow. Buffy feels that Simone acted out because of her robbery, she's the ones who started misbehaving and the other slayers are copying her right now. Willow is against it and that's why she took off. Xander thinks it's sexy and necessary.

"It's always complicated with girls. That's why I need a man!" Xander.

Sosa: Spike! Spike! Spike! Spike! (They're gonna be roomies in S10 :D)

Buffy: (wistfully) That would be nice... (Love Buffy teasing Xander and then mentioning Andrew. Xandrew. I read a fic once. Didn't really appeal to me. I prefer the Spander snark.)

Xander saving a vampire nest for Buffy's birthday - he knows her so well!

The dialogue is so funny and enjoyable - also, Dawn is already 18 in the comics, which Xander mentions, Xander/Dawn foreshadow?

Xander is taking care of both Summers sisters when neither is there for the other. He's the glue holding the family together.

Love Buffy's graceful jumping around and landing on her feet in contrast to Satsu clumsily crashing to the floor - reminds me of Buffy and Xander teaming upon rescue mission in IRYJ and Bad Eggs.

The Buffy/Satsu talk is extremely well done. I was pulled into the issue as I read it. Buffy's abandonment issues: everybody leave or die because of her. "sent to a hell dimension" Angel "burning up" Spike "letting vamps suck on them then leave" Riley.

"The Chosen One always in pain and always complaining. Just like a girl."
Geez, Angel, never took you for a sexist man. I feel so bad for the Angel character, he was completely assassinated.

This should have been our clue that Twilight is Angel: Buffy was about to slice him in half the same way she did to Caleb and Angel was the only one who saw that. "I know that move, Slayer."

They mention flying so often in S8 to foreshadow Buffy's ability to fly later.

Loved the panel with Buffy comforting Satsu - "I let you down." "Shh. No."

Xander's speech to Buffy about slayers being filled with purpose also applies to him. I've never seen him so connected to the mission like he is now. Buffy, the leader, doesn't feel the connection and Xander assumes that she had to give it up to be able to lead.

(People give S8 so much crap. But to be honest, it's a much stronger season than both 9 and 10. It's very layered and the dialogue is incredibly witty and so Buffy. I personally prefer S8 to S7 and find it far more enjoyable.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Priceless

Scooby
This should have been our clue that Twilight is Angel: Buffy was about to slice him in half the same way she did to Caleb and Angel was the only one who saw that. "I know that move, Slayer."

Duh! Of course. Didn't even think of that! Well spotted.

I'm enjoying S8 much better second time around, maybe I just needed a bit of distance :)

Last edited by a moderator:

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
Scotland looked more like medieval Amsterdam to me :) I can't judge how well the artist captured Tokyo.
The Tokyo impression is too generic to judge. It's just a big city with a shinto temple. It's hard to say either it's accurate or problematic.

gite63

Gone
Sineya
Dracula! I loved the whole thing, including mecha Dawn. Interesting that we had yet another arc with the Count in S10: Xander and Dawn visiting Dracula, Andrew wearing a Drac costume, giant Dawn...

It's like magic – Buffy learns that Satsu is in love with her, and almost immediately sleeps with the girl, once more using someone who loved her... bad Buffy.

Poor Xander... but Renee served her rurpose: to be just a rebound, preparing Xander for Dawn.

Twilight. Knowing who he is... makes it hard to see the panels with him beating and taunting Buffy.

Wish Drac hadn't said filthy yellow swine twice, but maybe I'm being over sensitive, and it was noted he was being racist.

S10, New Rules

Xander: Have you been gambling away your powers to other vampires again?
Dracula: Don't be ridiculous. The last incident taught me quite definitively that orientals can't be trusted.
Dawn: Lovely. I'm so glad it taught you to be a racist instead of not to gamble.

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
It's not racism. It's generation gap. He never left his 15th century. Racism is a constructed modern concept that didn't exist in his time.

Priceless

Scooby
It's not racism. It's generation gap. He never left his 15th century. Racism is a constructed modern concept that didn't exist in his time.

Racism existed from the moment neanderthals and homo sapiens first saw each other :D

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
Racism existed from the moment neanderthals and homo sapiens first saw each other :D
That's people's love of their own tribes and fear of others. Homo sapiens smash each other's skulls with the same kind of enthusiasm. Racism has psychological roots of these older concepts but itself is new.

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
I also love this arc. My thoughts:
- Xander is awesome in the comics. He's a combination of his quippy high school years and his supportive adult years.
- Really liked the conversation between Buffy and Satsu
- Ok, so, Buffy slept with another Slayer. I can't help feeling it should have been Faith. Come on, give the girl a break! Oh well, I'm going to put my indignation aside for now :mad:. Satsu is cool. Everyone finding them is funny.
- I feel like Satsu/Buffy and Faith/Buffy is similar. Both thought maybe they had a shot with her and then nope they didn't. Buffy stop cracking gay hearts!
- I dig Buffy's UC Sunnydale sweatshirt.
- I find it kind of odd that Dracula and Xander are bff's now, but it's funny. Why did Dracula look all old in the beginning though?
- Andrew teaching is pretty funny
- Love Willow asking Satsu about Buffy in bed. Billow confirmed!
- That Japanese witch is kind of cool.
- Hanging up the Slayer's dead body was pretty brutal. I was into it!
- Buffy finds it sexy when Satsu calls her "ma'am". Maybe she's not as 100% straight as she thinks ;)
- And once again, someone (Renee) dies RIGHT AFTER a romantic development--in this case kissing Xander. That was quick!
- I liked the Willow vs Japanese witch fight. Still confused about Aluwyn.
- Dawn vs Mecha Dawn was totally rediculous but I enjoyed it.
- More Billowy conversation (You're not even on my list...)
- That vampire guy says "I bet you taste sweet Slayer" and then Satsu says "You have no idea" Hehehe
- I really liked the panel where Buffy goes to hug Xander while he's kneeling. So sweet.

Reactions: Guy

sosa lola

Scooby
- I find it kind of odd that Dracula and Xander are bff's now, but it's funny. Why did Dracula look all old in the beginning though?

I feel it's one sided. I don't think Xander likes Dracula the way Dracula likes him.

Priceless

Scooby
I feel it's one sided. I don't think Xander likes Dracula the way Dracula likes him.

Didn't Xander got and stay with Drac when Anya died? Do we ever see any of that, or hear the reasoning behind it?

I like their friendship, but I agree Xander doesn't like Drac the way Drac likes him :)

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
Didn't Xander got and stay with Drac when Anya died? Do we ever see any of that, or hear the reasoning behind it?

I like their friendship, but I agree Xander doesn't like Drac the way Drac likes him :)
Xander just wanted to lose himself under Dracula's thralls, just like some people choose to get drunk when depressed.

The same thing happened in S10. He believed Dawn didn't love him any more so he consciously chose not to break Dracula's mind control in Issue 3.

sosa lola

Scooby

I remember an issue before the S8 comics where Xander was held at Dracula's against his will - Dracula used his thrall to keep him in his castle. Buffy had to march in there and rescue Xander. Andrew's version of what happened is nothing but storytelling told from his imagination.

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
I remember an issue before the S8 comics where Xander was held at Dracula's against his will - Dracula used his thrall to keep him in his castle. Buffy had to march in there and rescue Xander. Andrew's version of what happened is nothing but storytelling told from his imagination.
Buffy going to rescue Xander doesn't mean it's 100% Dracula's fault. Maybe it's 70% reluctancy + 30% cooperation or something.

And I found Andrew's lecture too amusing to be false. I have to believe him.:D

sosa lola

Scooby
Buffy going to rescue Xander doesn't mean it's 100% Dracula's fault. Maybe it's 70% reluctancy + 30% cooperation or something.

And I found Andrew's lecture too amusing to be false. I have to believe him.:D

From the way I read Xander I don't see him at all into Dracula, which is why I don't see him writing letters to him. But I've yet to reread the issue, I'll see how I view the whole thing once I read the rest of the issues.

Priceless

Scooby
Finished the second half, which was mainly about death.

First Aiko's, which was horrible, and then poor Renee's. I knew it was coming, so it wasn't as moving as it had been the first time around. I'm not sure I liked the way they built up the relationship, sealed with a kiss, and then killed her off - it all happend so quickly and maybe needed more time to develop.

All in all I enjoyed Wolves at The Gate, it was fast paced, lots of action and witty lines, and quite moving too. Did we ever find out why Mecha Dawn had a tail?

sosa lola

Scooby
#12 Wolves at the Gate Part 1

- The first Xander/Renee scene is very touching. Xander trying to help Renee feel useful after her last battle. I like Jeanty's art in this scene. Both Xander and Renee have expressive expressions that tell you how they're thinking without beating you over the head with it with words.

- Buffy going from telling Satsu that she's not gay to having sex with her was and is still a complete shock. I think it's also a bit insensitive considering that Satsu is in love with her.

- S8 is filled with Superman jokes. If I remember correctly #32 will include even more of those.

- Xander and Renee are a bundle of cuteness, aren't they?

- So, clearly Satsu steered Buffy around the curves. :D

- the Scoobies and not knocking thing. It's an unfixable flaw.

-What the hell is that in Buffy panties?

- Let's just say I'm extremely glad Buffy/Satsu didn't end up being a secret!

- Buffy's Eeyore PJs!!! Awww!

- I do like the trio Satsu, Leah and Rowena - wish there was an issue centered around them.

- Is Willow bitter about Buffy sleeping with Satsu?

-Love, love, love how everybody is staring at Xander when they were listing everything those new vampires have in common with Dracula.

- Love, love, love Xander's reaction when he realized why they were staring at him.

-From Xander's reaction to the news of going to see Dracula and bringing Renee along to keep an eye on him, he clearly does not trust himself when around Dracula - just look at how upset he gets when he calls him "master". He gets easily enthralled. And it also shows that their friendship is one sided - Dracula is so in love with Xander. :D

Top Bottom