• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Welcome to Alabama

Cohen

Warrior
A warning shot at the ground, that happened to ricochet into the other woman’s stomach? That is tough to believe. She probably aimed downward which is why it hit her stomach. Why are we making warning shots anyway? Aren’t you taught if you’re going to shoot, aim for where you want the bullet to go? I wonder if there’s any CCTV footage from the Dollar General we can see. I’d like to see that.

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
Aren’t you taught if you’re going to shoot, aim for where you want the bullet to go?
Sad fact of the matter is many aren't taught anything about gun safety. If she were taught she wouldn't have fired a warning shot. But you hear tales of a lot of people doing that. Though usually it's in the air... it still means you can kill or injure someone when the bullet comes back down. Never fire a warning shot. And certainly not if you are using an automatic.

Cohen

Warrior
Sad fact of the matter is many aren't taught anything about gun safety. If she were taught she wouldn't have fired a warning shot. But you hear tales of a lot of people doing that. Though usually it's in the air... it still means you can kill or injure someone when the bullet comes back down. Never fire a warning shot. And certainly not if you are using an automatic.
Exactly. A warning shot is just going to make it easier to unintentionally injure others or even yourself. Good point.

Thanks for the linked post. I can see how the angle of her warning shot could have caused the bounce back at Jones. Still, it was her negligence of firing the “warning shot” that caused the injury. If she’s at the store, like the article said, there were a number of things she could have done instead of firing a gun. That wasn’t true “self defense”.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I don't know...if someone jumps out of a car and starts a fight with you and then a group of other people are coming at you intending to do violence...firing a warning shot at the ground might have been stupid, but I think it shows more presence of mind than just firing at the people...

Spanky

Black Thorn
I don't know...if someone jumps out of a car and starts a fight with you and then a group of other people are coming at you intending to do violence...firing a warning shot at the ground might have been stupid, but I think it shows more presence of mind than just firing at the people...
I always thought, my opinion mind you, that people who fired warning shots were too afraid to shoot for real. Those are the people that have guns stolen from their hands. That's the other reason I don't actively carry one but for special occasions.

Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
Oh I don't disagree with you.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
I always thought, my opinion mind you, that people who fired warning shots were too afraid to shoot for real.
I feel the same way. I think they're terrified. Too much is going through their minds; "What if I kill them? Will I go to jail?" Etc, etc, etc.

If you draw a weapon, you'd better use it. Preferably a non-lethal wound, but hey, if you're in danger of losing your life, a head shot is quite acceptable. Yes, it's a hell of a commitment, and there's no going back, but you have to see it through.

Spanky
Spanky
Head is the worst possible thing to aim at. You'll end up shooting over their head more than likely. Of course it might scare the piss out of them enough to flee.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
One person I know who had been in the Canadian Forces said they were taught: If you point a weapon, pull the trigger.

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
If I recall correctly from my compulsory military service I did in the 90's we were told to shot a warning shot first if you was attacked while on guard duty.
Guess the policy was to at least give it a try to scare someone off before you killed him. If possible.

We were of course all useless amateurs that would never been able to hit anything anyway so... *shrugs*

In reality though. If I would have ran into some trespasser during my guard duty I would have hide myself.
There was absolutely no chance ever that I would have fired that weapon anyway.

/SK

Spanky

Black Thorn
If I recall correctly from my compulsory military service I did in the 90's we were told to shot a warning shot first if you was attacked while on guard duty.
Guess the policy was to at least give it a try to scare someone off before you killed him. If possible.
I always thought that was to warn others on duty. Thought it was more for your comrades in arms.

white avenger

white avenger
Without knowing the type of handgun involved or the training (or far more likely, the lack thereof) I would be inclined to believe that the so called "warning shot" was more likely an accidental discharge, the same sort of thing that often results in the shooter putting a bullet in his own foot. Her finger tightened on the trigger in a moment of stress, the muzzle happened to be pointed tn that direction, and a baby died. That simple, and that tragic. That's why the only effective gun control is actually being in control of your own gun.

Spanky
Spanky
That's a good possibility. I was just taking it at face value that they tried to fire a warning shot.

Spanky

Black Thorn
From tha AP

An Alabama district attorney said Wednesday she is dropping charges against a woman who was indicted for manslaughter after she lost her fetus when was shot during a fight. Marshae Jones was arrested last week after a grand jury concluded she intentionally caused the death of her fetus by initiating a fight, knowing she was pregnant.

Jones was five months pregnant when 23-year-old Ebony Jemison shot her in the stomach during a December argument over the fetus's father, authorities said. Jemison was initially charged with manslaughter, but a Jefferson County grand jury declined to indict her after police said an investigation determined Jones started the fight, and Jemison ultimately fired in self-defense. Jones, 28, was indicted by the same grand jury and arrested.

But Jefferson County Bessemer Cutoff District Attorney Lynneice O. Washington said Wednesday that she would not pursue the case. Lawyers defending Jones filed a motion to dismiss Monday morning, arguing that in issuing the charges, the state used a "flawed and twisted rationale" that "ignores the law and ignores reason."

The idea that Jones intentionally caused the death of her fetus by initiating the fight is a "tortured," ''irrational" theory which "defies the most basic logic and analysis," the filing asserts.

Top Bottom