1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Were Riley and Willow originally going to be a couple in Season 4?

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by Joshua, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Joshua

Joshua Huge Spuffy Fan!

Since Oz was leaving before Season 4 Part B, I've noticed the chemistry between Marc Blucas and Alyson Hannigan when Riley, Willow and Buffy first meet in The Freshman. They've had more chemistry there than Sarah Michelle Gellar and Marc Blucas have had in Season 4-5 imo

So were Willow and Riley originally written to be a future couple?

2. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    I don't think they were written that way, I'm not sure how early they knew Oz was leaving, but I assume they didn't know at the start of s4, because it has been said multiple times by cast member and writers that the Veruca storyline was suppose to be written over multiple episodes. But instead it had to be rushed because Seth Green wanted out. I don't think they had really planned anything for Willow beyond Oz. It's only once they knew Seth Green was leaving that they decided she'd be the right character for the gay storyline they wanted.

I also think Riley was written specifically as Buffy's love interest, since Joss has also said in interviews that when he met Marc, he told him people would hate him cause he wasn't Angel.

brinkster130 likes this.
  3. Joshua

Joshua Huge Spuffy Fan!

So had Seth Green not left the show, Tara wouldn't had been created and Xander would have been gay?

4. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    I think it's definitely a possibility, or who knows, maybe they could have sent Oz over to AtS (I think this was also in the cards at some point if Angel had a s6, mind you this was much later in the series). Or perhaps the gay coming out storyline would have just been done later with Willow, since I'm pretty sure Oz and Willow would have broken up eventually even if the Veruca storyline lasted longer. Don't quote me on this, but I think Veruca was suppose to act a bit as Oz' werewolf mentor, so the storyline might have played the same in the long run.

5. Joshua

Joshua Huge Spuffy Fan!

The mentor thing I heard was that Oz was gonna be NINA'S werewolf mentor in Season 6 both Nina and Oz were gonna replace Wesley

Why did Seth Green leave was it ever said? I always assumed because of Family Guy Season 1 starting that year I believe

Blaze: That would make sense! I think Seth Green just wanted to work on other projects, not sure what those were. But it definitely was Green's decision to leave
  6. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    When Riley and Willow were interacting, he was my favourite version of Riley. He was super sweet towards Willow when she was feeling down about Oz leaving, and he just came across as a genuinely nice man. I didn't see any romantic chemistry between Riley and Willow though, and most of their conversations revolved around Buffy and his desire to 'court' her. :p

Guy likes this.
  7. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

I don't think they could've pulled off Xander as gay. They were all written as straight to begin with, but at least Willow had the whole 'I think I'm kinda gay' thing going for her. Had Oz stayed, they could've still had Willow be attracted and confused by her feelings to Tara. That would've been an interesting love triangle, and you know that Whedon loved his love triangles. ;)

8. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    I think Willow did have better chemistry with Riley and than Buffy, but they would also have had that awkward size difference.

9. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

She seemed ok with it in How I Met Your Mother. ;)

10. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    Yeah, I know that is totally a personal preference thing. I watched a movie with Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn the other day. He towered over her. Any scene where they were standing or walking and you could see the huge size difference I was like ewwww. I know some people don't care and some people even like the huge size gap but for me it is unattractive and unromantic.