• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Wesley & Lilah

So, during my recent rewatch of Angel, I was reminded of my struggle to understand the relationship between Wesley/Lilah. I'm not the best at interpreting the actions and words of characters, but this is the one thing in the Buffyverse that I still don't really understand. I don't know if I wasn't paying enough attention or what. Obviously, they weren't professing their love for each other, but it's clear there was more to it than just having sex and not caring about each other at all. I'm reminded of this even after Lilah's death, when she comes back to Angel Investigations and mentions the signed dollar bill that Wesley is still keeping in his wallet. I want to know what y'all think:

How do you think they really felt about each other? Do you think one had stronger feelings than the other?

I think Wesley cared more than he let on, but I feel like you could tell Lilah cared. I loved them together, actually.
That's the frustrating part for me. They both clearly care more than they act like they do. But at the same time, Wesley also had lingering feelings for Fred throughout his relationship with Lilah. It was never explained what both characters ultimately wanted out of the relationship or from each other, which just leaves me wondering.
I liked them, too.
I remember Wesley saying something, while he was with Lilah's dead body, about her not being able to love him. It's really intriguing to me, due in large part to the nature of her character. She's hardly ever shown to have compassion or morals, so it's interesting to see her with Wesley.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
They both clearly care more than they act like they do. But at the same time, Wesley also had lingering feelings for Fred throughout his relationship with Lilah.
Of course, this is all about how you choose to read into it, but I don't see it as him still having 'lingering feelings' for Fred. I don't believe that what he felt for Fred was anything substantial. I think it's quite possible that he clung to his 'feelings' for Fred, because she was, to him, the complete opposite of the woman he was sleeping with. Fred was kind, sweet, and good, everything Lilah was proud not to be. But maybe that's just me :)

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
I think it's quite possible that he clung to his 'feelings' for Fred, because she was, to him, the complete opposite of the woman he was sleeping with. Fred was kind, sweet, and good, everything Lilah was proud not to be. But maybe that's just me :)
But also Fred represented the life and the man he left behind. Fred was a reminder of his old life and his lingering feelings for Fred could very well be the lingering desire for all that he lost; innocence being chief among it. At least that's how I always saw it.

Top Bottom