• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What’s the Big Secret in Boom’s Buffy The Vampire Slayer #4?

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Reposted from BC

Last week, Boom Studios sent this note only to retailers in their Guarantee program – unusual for a company that seems to earn a commission from sending out press releases every day.

It read:

ATTENTION RETAILERS: ADVANCE INTEL
BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #3

RETAILERS! This week’s FOC focuses on issue #2, but you need to know that we’ve got something incredibly special planned that is directly tied to your orders of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #3 and will be included with your shipments of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #4. I’m telling you now that it’s not a traditional promotional item nor is it an exclusive variant…it’s WAY better.
If you want this item, I need you to:
Make sure your Diamond Account has opted-in for receiving promo material. Any account who has opted out will not receive this item.
Know that whatever you order of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE #3 will determine the quantity you receive of this promotional item, which will be delivered with your issue #4 shipment.
As a reminder, BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #1-4 are fully returnable for BOOM! Guarantee registered retailers, and you do NOT want to miss out on what we’ve got planned for you. Have I ever steered you wrong?

And here’s the original solicit for the issue:
BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #4
(W) Jordie Bellaire (A) Dan Mora (CA) Taylor, Matt
This is the issue no BUFFY fan can miss! In the shocking conclusion of the first story arc of the
most-anticipated reVAMP of 2019, someone from the Scooby gang must make the ultimate sacrifice. And don’t miss the massive first appearance that will have everyone talking!In Shops: Apr 03, 2019
SRP: $3.99
We can figure out that the “massive” first appearance has limited options given we’ve got Anya, Dru, Spike and Robin Wood already in the series.

The big missing character is Angel – you’ve basically got all the original Scooby Gang but him. However, that almost seems too obvious, doesn’t it? We haven’t seen Tara, who was part of a super couple with Willow; there’s Riley, Buffy’s short-term boyfriend; Wesley Wyndham-Pryce, the fan-favorite watcher who came into his own in the Angel TV series; and Faith, the most popular Slayer not named Buffy.

And “ultimate sacrifice” leaves some room for interpretation – is someone dying? Selling their soul? Both? Last time we heard language like this from Boom Studios, it was about Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #25…which sold over 500 issues in 15 minutes at one store. It’s no coincidence that they’re using that language again here.

But what is the secret item? If it’s not a poster or a variant, what could be bigger than secret variant covers signed by Joss Whedon?

And given this book is hot on the aftermarket, from their ALA Variant to the secret variants for issue #1 whatever this secret item is, retailers probably stand to make a lot of money out of it. And they’re being given a chance to have a say in how much they get in their stores.

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
Is this going to be another Twilight thing? Big reveal: Oh look, Angel's the bad guy? Guess we'll see, I'm excited to see Darla at least. I like seeing Xander in the midst of it all, I'm assuming that is Xander, because he looks a bit off to me so could be someone else.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
I think it's covers signed by Joss. Or did that already happen! I swear I saw something about him signing some covers but now I can't find what I read.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
I think it's covers signed by Joss. Or did that already happen! I swear I saw something about him signing some covers but now I can't find what I read.
What do you think the big sacrifice is?

brinkster130
brinkster130
Rose dies and that leaves the door open for Tara?

TriBel

Scooby
But what is the secret item? If it’s not a poster or a variant, what could be bigger than secret variant covers signed by Joss Whedon?
I read something about it - it was the Spike variant cover for #1. I can't find the original article but as far as I'm aware they did 200 signed copies - 198 by the cover artist and 2 by Whedon. They're on sale on ebay (which is winding me up). BOOM! Studios BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #1 Secret Signed Panosian Variant

brinkster130
brinkster130
Ah, so that has been done. No clue what it is then.

sosa lola

Scooby
I like seeing Xander in the midst of it all, I'm assuming that is Xander, because he looks a bit off to me so could be someone else.
I think it's safe to say that it's Xander:

Taake
Taake
The cover still looks weird to me, like they modeled it after another actor

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
Man, I know I've said it before, but Nicky B looks so much like Bruce Campbell.

TriBel

Scooby
Have we ever seen Xander's in a fur-lined jacket? Oz had one and Willow wore one in Lessons. Lamb to the slaughter or a wolf in sheep's clothing?

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
I doubt that they will actually kill off any of the core scoobs. Maybe one of the minor characters will die. Maybe one of the scoobs will become a vampire? Maybe later to be re-souled? One of those would be my guesses.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
It would not surprise me if they decide to kill Xander. With all this “ toxic masculinity” I’m sure they would consider it just rewards for a “problematic” character like Xander to kick it in this new ultra feminine empowered reboot.

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
It would not surprise me if they decide to kill Xander. With all this “ toxic masculinity” I’m sure they would consider it just rewards for a “problematic” character like Xander to kick it in this new ultra feminine empowered reboot.
Oh, that'd make me really sad. But it would seem odd to kill him so soon, wouldn't it?

GraceK

Grr Arrg
Oh, that'd make me really sad. But it would seem odd to kill him so soon, wouldn't it?
Not really. Look what they did to Drusilla. 🙄. And they haven’t even introduced Angel at all yet. And they have completely overhauled Willow to be this confident lesbian superchick. Would it be that surprising if they had redid the vampire with a soul story with Xander instead? What if Xander dies rescuing Willow from vampires? Or gets vamped before Buffy shows up? And he’s the one who has the “Angelus” arc of torturing everyone Willow loves and cares about and she’s discovers a spell to ensoul him. 🤢🤢🤢🤮 oh the horrors. I doubt it they will go that route though. Chances are they will use this opportunity to just have Xander become a vampire for maximum angst and then kill him. And then Robin Wood can be the new diverse scooby member that’s perfect for 2019 .

W

WillowFromBuffy

sigh! They've written Xander with sympathy and care so far. Let's just wait and see what they do, unless anyone can find a better argument than SJWs are evil.

GraceK
GraceK
I hope so. I’m diabolically protective of Xander I admit it 🤣
W

WillowFromBuffy

@GraceK I really want them to get Xander right, too, even if this is probably going to be a slightly different Xander than the one we know. But I desperately want both these reboots to be good, and I am sure I will be let down by something, so I try to avoid ultimatums. My love is fickle, so if I am ready to turn on BOOM in an instant the moment I feel they're mishandling the BtVS legacy.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
@GraceK I really want them to get Xander right, too, even if this is probably going to be a slightly different Xander than the one we know. But I desperately want both these reboots to be good, and I am sure I will be let down by something, so I try to avoid ultimatums. My love is fickle, so if I am ready to turn on BOOM in an instant the moment I feel they're mishandling the BtVS legacy.
I’m already expecting the worst. But to be fair Buffy for me ended season 7. I don’t really consider the comics canon. I respect that they are and I won’t argue against them but for me 🤷🏻‍♀️. And when I saw this newest version and the bastardy that was Drusilla and what they did with Willow I just wiped my hands completely. The interviews I read didn’t help. I got so annoyed that I had to remind myself I was an adult woman and comic books shouldn’t induce so much rage 😂

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
Shoot, I barely consider last 2 TV seasons canon
W

WillowFromBuffy

I’m already expecting the worst. But to be fair Buffy for me ended season 7. I don’t really consider the comics canon. I respect that they are and I won’t argue against them but for me 🤷🏻‍♀️. And when I saw this newest version and the bastardy that was Drusilla and what they did with Willow I just wiped my hands completely. The interviews I read didn’t help. I got so annoyed that I had to remind myself I was an adult woman and comic books shouldn’t induce so much rage 😂
We don't know much about Drusilla, except that she wears power suits. I am worried that they may make Willow boring by making her too well adjusted, but the recently released preview hints at some tension between her and her girlfriend, which seems promising (not for Willow, but for me as a reader).

As for Xander, Issue 1 makes it clear that they are doing something with him. He gets much more attention that Willow, who we still know very little about.

I really like the idea of the Buffyverse characters as Greek heroes, who appear in several and often conflicting permutations, or all the different version of James Bond.

TriBel

Scooby
I don't think they'll kill off any of the core 4. We've only had 1 issue so far but it seems to me that the new characters are closer in personality to S7 characters than the original S1. They're the characters they always had the potential to be. So Willow is more confident, Xander less toxic (not that I found him that toxic to begin with), Drusilla's the one wearing the trousers and Spike's a bit of a wimp. What I don't expect is a replay of Spuffy / Bangel.

I really like the idea of the Buffyverse characters as Greek heroes, who appear in several and often conflicting permutations
Totally behind this. :)

Top Bottom