• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What are the main changes from the TV show?

slayer730

Potential
I've seen a lot about the BOOM! comics of Buffy and Angel and have debated whether or not I should pick them up but I am skeptical. For those who have read the books so far, what changes are in the Buffy and Angel comic books that differ from their television show counter parts and are there any changes you feel were either better or worse to the source material?

Black Thorn
  • The way siring vampires happens
  • The fashion
  • Cordelia, Drusilla and Anya
  • The introduction of the characters
  • A lot of characters use social media
  • Willow is already out as gay
  • Angel is already fighting demons
  • New characters

I miss insane Dru but overall I find them quite enjoyable, however, there are a lot of different opinions on this topic.

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Staff member
Black Thorn
As someone who's still a bit pissed that they made a Buffy and an Angel comic (I was prepared to try ONE not TWO different comics) I still haven't made up my mind as to whether this is worth spending money on, but this made me curious. What's the new way of siring vampires?

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
maybe read online?
Black Thorn
As someone who's still a bit pissed that they made a Buffy and an Angel comic (I was prepared to try ONE not TWO different comics) I still haven't made up my mind as to whether this is worth spending money on, but this made me curious. What's the new way of siring vampires?
The process is kind of the same, but the lore behind becoming a vampire is different. After they drink each others blood, the victim doesn't die, instead they enter a between state, where they are not fully human or fully a vampire. The process is only completed when they feed.

Taake
Taake
Interesting!
Puppet
Puppet
Yes, but once waking from death, they can either die again (forever) or feed and finish the change to vampire fully. Very similar, imo.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
The process is kind of the same, but the lore behind becoming a vampire is different. After they drink each others blood, the victim doesn't die, instead they enter a between state, where they are not fully human or fully a vampire. The process is only completed when they feed.
Sounds like the siring lore on Vampire Diaries.

one eyed chicklet
one eyed chicklet
They have to die after ingesting a vampires blood don't they?

slayer730

Potential
  • The fashion
  • Cordelia, Drusilla and Anya
  • The introduction of the characters
  • A lot of characters use social media
  • Willow is already out as gay
  • Angel is already fighting demons
  • New characters

I miss insane Dru but overall I find them quite enjoyable, however, there are a lot of different opinions on this topic.
Could you elaborate more on these points?

Cordelia, Drusilla and Anya-(what changes have been made to their character)

The introduction of the characters-(are these introductions drastically different?)

A lot of characters use social media-(does this affect how enemies in the story are able to track Buffy and her friends?)

New characters-(do these new characters play a huge part in the story?)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
@slayer730 Don't waste your money.

"Drusilla" is in name only, likewise with Cordelia. They bare resemble their show counterparts other than look and name only. It is a massive disservice to Drusilla's character.

The art is excellent in the first couple of issues but then takes a complete nosedive when they changed the artist. Xander looks like an old man in several issues whilst Willow's facial expressions come across as creepy. Also "Drusilla's" vampire face is awful to look at, to the point you have to wonder why Spike would want to wake up to that every evening.

The worst is the scooby dynamic. The comics are trying to lean on the show to make people think the scoobies are the best of friends, but in reality Buffy and Willow are terrible friends to Xander and quite hypocritical. For example, Buffy and Willow bale on Xander a lot when they make plans to do stuff together. This point is made through a text message that Xander was going to send but then doesn't. In a later issue the group arrange to go to the cinema (with Robin Wood as Buffy's date) but Xander doesn't show. Willow says it is out of character for him then basically shrugs her shoulders and watches the movie any way. The next day, Giles tells Buffy and Willow to come over because there is something important he needs to tell them. Buffy and Willow are being hypocritical bitches and complaining about Xander not showing up to the cinema and calling him names like "Sir bales a lot". They discover that Xander is a half vampire (which is what Giles wanted to tell them) then all of a sudden Willow is crying and refusing to leave Xander's side despite literally 5 minutes earlier slagging him off.

The reason why Xander is a half vampire is because he was lured by Spike and Drusilla pretending to be Buffy by using Buffy's phone to send a message asking Xander to meet up. When Xander gets there and realises he's been duped, he bursts into tears in front of Spike and Drusilla who actually take the time to comfort him as he pours his heart out. Them turning him into a half vampire seems like an after thought.

The writing is clunky, an anvil round the head has more subtlety. Whilst the art in the first few issues basically covered for the writing, once that changed, the flaws in the writing become painfully obvious.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I gave up on it so maybe something now would change my mind, but I remember the most discordant thing to me is that I couldn't see why Willow and Xander were friends. It felt perfectly natural in the TV show, but in the comics I was wondering "Why?"

Oh, and the naive writer thinks that just because one can find support on the internet and that schools pay lip service against being anti-bully (typically as sincere as Hollywood claims to be feminists while hiding their predators and even doing business with them once they escape the country, if necessary) that Willow would be all confident. It makes me wonder if she has no idea what her own daughter goes through, or worse, what her own daughter is doing online (that is, Sunnydale Syndrome that many parents have about their kids, especially their online activities).

I'd say that if today when the net is so toxic that Willow, being such a computer geek back then, would be even far more neurotic today (though if I wanted to give it a twist, she'd be a nasty hacker that scared the rest into leaving her alone, but detente would be the best she can hope for). Today, Cordelia would no longer be a dunce with computers and would likely bully her online even more than offline, and maybe even make some degrading photoshops of her (or have someone else do so), all with a ton of thumbs up (regardless of Willow's sexual orientation).

But luckily for her, the kids at this Hellmouth are as saintly nice in real life as they apparently are online, and Willow also doesn't dress like her mother bought her clothes from Sears so that could also help. Which goes into how Cordelia isn't Cordelia just as Willow isn't Willow. The only online nasties are the vampires, and even they're technically nice trying to lure you somewhere so they can bite you in private.

Black Thorn
Cordelia, Drusilla and Anya-(what changes have been made to their character)
Cordelia is an eco warrior (which I'm okay with since that has now become a trendy thing).
Drusilla, as @DeadlyDuo said, has the same name and face but is a completely different character. She is very competent and is the big bad in the comics.
Anya, she is a demon and hasn't shown any confusion with humans at all, again she knows what she's doing and isn't simply out for vengeance.
The introduction of the characters-(are these introductions drastically different?)
Well, Fred's definitely was. Xander, Willow and Cordelia's introduction is quite different too.
A lot of characters use social media-(does this affect how enemies in the story are able to track Buffy and her friends?)
Not exactly, but the characters use social media to interact with each other, and there is a demon who uses social media to get to victims in the Angel comics. Also Gunn was livestreaming (yes, it's as cringey as it sounds).
New characters-(do these new characters play a huge part in the story?)
Oh yes, there's a demon called Lilith in Angel who is helping him, she's more in charge but she is clearly an important character.

slayer730

Potential
Cordelia is an eco warrior (which I'm okay with since that has now become a trendy thing).
Drusilla, as @DeadlyDuo said, has the same name and face but is a completely different character. She is very competent and is the big bad in the comics.
Anya, she is a demon and hasn't shown any confusion with humans at all, again she knows what she's doing and isn't simply out for vengeance.

Well, Fred's definitely was. Xander, Willow and Cordelia's introduction is quite different too.

Not exactly, but the characters use social media to interact with each other, and there is a demon who uses social media to get to victims in the Angel comics. Also Gunn was livestreaming (yes, it's as cringey as it sounds).

Oh yes, there's a demon called Lilith in Angel who is helping him, she's more in charge but she is clearly an important character.
Cordelia as an eco warrior is interesting. I understand them probably not wanting to go them mean girl route because I think we've seen that character archetype done before so many times so I dont know how it could be done and be fresh in 2019, but that's such an opposite characterization.

Were there any changes made to Gunn as a character or is his backstory generally the same? Also how are the characters introduced Sunnydale (Willow, Xander, Giles etc) and Los Angeles (Gunn & Fred) characters

Black Thorn
Were there any changes made to Gunn as a character or is his backstory generally the same? Also how are the characters introduced Sunnydale (Willow, Xander, Giles etc) and Los Angeles (Gunn & Fred) characters
Buffy saves Willow and Xander after finishing her shift at 'Tunaverse'
We don't see Giles' introduction to Buffy, he already knew Buffy for 3 weeks.
Gunn's backstory is basically the same (as there is a flashback) but he runs into Angel while insta livestreaming at night.
Fred is from an asylum.

slayer730

Potential
Buffy saves Willow and Xander after finishing her shift at 'Tunaverse'
We don't see Giles' introduction to Buffy, he already knew Buffy for 3 weeks.
Gunn's backstory is basically the same (as there is a flashback) but he runs into Angel while insta livestreaming at night.
Fred is from an asylum.
Fred and Gunn dont seem to different from their original versions then which is nice i suppose. I'm assuming there isn't a Doyle/Cordelia like figure with visions guiding the Angel comic plot

one eyed chicklet
one eyed chicklet
No but there is Lilith that seems to be in charge of whatever is happening.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I forgot to mention. Buffy has a "cool mom" now. And her mother's boyfriend was even cooler. At first I thought it would be cool if the doctor Joyce is dating becomes Ben/Glory but I honestly don't know how that would work out with the monks altering his memories.

I kinda hoped to see more of Xander's and Willow's family...only so as to know what they're NOT like in the TV series. :p

That aside, I wonder if this comic series can be called its own vampire story/series with a Slayer paint job. That is, all new characters with many standard tropes (leaning to Buffy's) but with the old names to attract readers they otherwise wouldn't get. Maybe this WAS an original story outside the Buffy-verse, but it was thought not to do well so they readjusted it with the Slayer paint job, or maybe they were told to come up with it originally but hadn't seen the show since it was cancelled, with only vague memories of it and after reading a few blog posts (for market research) about it.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
If I recall correctly, I saw them all on Hoopla a couple months ago, which is a free library service. So you can judge for your self, if you want to keep them for more than three weeks.

slayer730

Potential
I forgot to mention. Buffy has a "cool mom" now. And her mother's boyfriend was even cooler. At first I thought it would be cool if the doctor Joyce is dating becomes Ben/Glory but I honestly don't know how that would work out with the monks altering his memories.

I kinda hoped to see more of Xander's and Willow's family...only so as to know what they're NOT like in the TV series. :p

That aside, I wonder if this comic series can be called its own vampire story/series with a Slayer paint job. That is, all new characters with many standard tropes (leaning to Buffy's) but with the old names to attract readers they otherwise wouldn't get. Maybe this WAS an original story outside the Buffy-verse, but it was thought not to do well so they readjusted it with the Slayer paint job, or maybe they were told to come up with it originally but hadn't seen the show since it was cancelled, with only vague memories of it and after reading a few blog posts (for market research) about it.
That was going to be my next question to everyone in the thread. Would the story be less disappointing if it was an entirely new slayer and the plot elements and characterizations were retooled into something like the new TV sequel that's floating around?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
That was going to be my next question to everyone in the thread. Would the story be less disappointing if it was an entirely new slayer and the plot elements and characterizations were retooled into something like the new TV sequel that's floating around?
The writing is clunky at best. I think having completely new characters would be even worse, as the comic wouldn't have people's love for the characters from the tv show to fall back on.

Top Bottom