• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What are you watching (10)

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Still watching Revolutionary Girl Utena, and I was thinking that, once I've watched a show like Buffy, I just couldn't stop seeing the similar feminist themes both shows were tackling.

But as I Googled "Buffy Utena Feminism" to see if anyone else made the connection between these two very blatant feminist-driven shows, I came across an interesting observation about both shows in a Livejournal entry: "Utena is a feminist narrative. Buffy is a narrative with a feminist theme. There's a distinct difference between the two." While Buffy is a vampire gothic drama with feminist themes in many episodes, it's still not quite the same as Utena where its central narrative isn't built on anything else but feminism itself (even the lesbianism is kinda secondary to this).

Regardless, I love both shows, so I probably would inadvertently make certain comparisons in my final review in spite of my best effort to do otherwise. Oh well. I like it though, other shows I've seen enhancing my perspective of shows I'm currently watching.

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Watching The X-Files: Fight the Future right now. Was supposed to watch this movie before I started Simpsons season 6 (since I'll be watching X-Files S6 after), but oh well. It all works out.

Every shipper hated that bee in '98.

r2dh2
r2dh2
Oh man, I loved them so much. I recently watched The Fall and Gillian Anderson's character is so different. I was missing Scully.

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Watcher
Black Thorn
The world would lose its mind if any government came out and seriously said UFOs were real. I don't think people would be able to handle it.
People can’t even handle it of you pronounce it U-FO, rather that YOU.F.O.

Hunga Munga

Potential
Been on a strange voyage through popular culture recently . Discovered Prime Video is showing all kinds of old crap , matinee serials from old cinema , sitcoms from the 50s , shows from my childhood etc .

That blond hero thread, and the deaths this year of two prominent 'Avengers' girls , really got me thinking about representations of empowered women in the early days of television(and film ). Prime UK is an amazing resource for that sort of malarkey

So I've been on a whistlestop tour of 'Beverly Hill Billies' , 'Petticoat Junction ', Zorro 'the Black Whip' , 'Hunter' , 'Renegade' , 'The Professionals' , Shaw Brothers movies and others

Also did Community ,Stargirl , most 'the Magicians' and 'Dark Matter' for fun . Apart from Community , I haven't really loved anything I ve been watching for months

Likely going back into lockdown in Wales so feeling a Buffy/Angel watchthrough coming on to pass the time . Going right back to the beginning :)

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Glenn Close's portrayal is probably one of the few, if not the only live action adaptation performances of a Disney film that I've thoroughly enjoyed. She nailed the character's mannerism, but such a similar is probably more noticeable because the animated character's personality is so flamboyant and exaggerated.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Star Trek: Discovery Season 3

A solid first episode I thought. Though I hope it's not too long before the characters all come together.
Agreed. I'm hoping that Michelle Yeoh's character will somehow be in this season. She's awesome! :)

Top Bottom