• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What are you watching (10)

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya

Ah, Simpsons having its own America's Most Wanted episode. Season 6 and its cliffhanger were truly a historical milestone for animated television (Dallas did it first for live action in the '70s).

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
The X-Files Season 6
Millennium Season 3
Goodbye, Mr. Despair Season 1
Revolutionary Girl Utena
(13 more episodes to go)

And we're back to The X-Files which continues off from the loose plot of Fight the Future movie... very poorly, might I add, though A for effort. How poorly? Well, let's see what the "mythology" of the series has become so far:

"The plot is for these spacelings to take over the planet aided by a group of men here on earth? Who are growing corn in the middle of the desert which features pollen which was genetically altered to hold a virus which will be taken away by bees whose sting transmits the virus, causing the growth of an extraterrestrial biological entity inside the human host?"

Try pitching this description of the series to first time viewers. lol

Regardless of my playful mockery, it's kinda nice to be back with the X-Files. There's usually something more interesting I have to say about it and Millennium more than The Simpsons (and to some extent, Angel), and I kinda enjoy being back in the familiar company of Mulder and Scully a little more than the Simpsons family. But I have a feeling that from this point on in season 6, "interesting things to say" will soon turn into "interesting flaws to point out as we begin the downfall of the series." My Simpsons reviews probably won't have that kind of sensationalized bite for at least two more seasons when I arrive at season 9, so it's two more seasons of mind-numbing praises of "look how brilliant Oakley and Weinstein has made The Simpsons". Seriously though, this was everyone's a lot of people's favorite era... I'm kinda looking forward to it.

And speaking of seasons that I look forward to, I'm also quite excited about the controversial Buffy season 6, if only for its utterly depressing storylines. Hey, I might have gotten rid of the custom title, but I'm still a "Tragedy Fanatic" at heart. :p And there's Angel season 3 too, I guess... meh. Season 2 was kinda okay, but didn't really live up to my expectations, so I'm just waiting for the awesome season 5 to roll around two or three months later.

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya

Halloween H20 was so underrated. It was actually my first introduction to the Halloween franchise and I love its character-driven PTSD element that also made me love Scream 2.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Yeah H20 is my favourite of the sequels.

Hunga Munga

Potential
Buffy HD S1 on my new big 4K telly ! :D :D . Loving it .

Also did season 1 of Gilmore Girls on Netflix . :)

With Gilmore Girls I much prefer the original framing but I feel I should try the HD cut at least once .

In a sitch where I'm paying for Amazon Prime and Netflix this month ..and I don't want to cancel either for next month . Will have to sort that by the new year .

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Quite a few interesting trailers these past few days:

Disney's Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) (AKA First non-sequel Disney animated film in five years)

Mank (2020) (AKA Co-writer of Citizen Kane)

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (2020) (AKA Chadwick Boseman's final film)

Last edited:
Priceless
Priceless
Mank looks the best of the three

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Watching X-Files season 6, episode 3, "Triangle", where we finally have the first kiss ever that was interrupted in the movie:

Annnnd cue the screams of fans everywhere. Shame everything is filmed so dark because of its attempt to imitate film noir (since the episode was set in WWII). The "real first kiss" won't happen 'till season 8. This is just Mulder kissing Scully in (supposedly) a dream sequence while trapped in the Bermuda Triangle. Either that, or an alternate universe Scully.

Oh, and Mulder said "I love you" to Scully at the end of the episode, but she thought he's still under drugs.

Last edited:

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Love or hate the Saw series, I still love that there are a few brilliant moments like this. The way the tension and suspense are built up in this scene, the patient reveal of the identity behind the voice and the statement of "you're feeling helpless" being applicable to both Hoffman and the other officers, it all works very well in execution, making this one of the most memorable scenes in the series. Hoffman was such an effective villain that felt distinctly different from John Kramer.

It's scenes like this that makes me love the thriller genre, the main appeal isn't necessarily the story or character but how tensions are played around with in the audience's mind, such that even the dumbest thriller movies can produce some of the most intense reactions. I just can't get enough of that thrill. "The tension was palpable," as they would say in newspaper reviews, even if it's false tension risen from a poorly conceived antagonist, but movies are full of such artifice, being an illusion shot through the projector, so I never really buy the argument that just because the stakes in a story feel "fake" and "hollow," it becomes impossible for it to be entertaining.

Last edited:

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Watched a little clip of RDJ's Sherlock today.

Honestly, Holmes' self-righteous assumption here is the same cockiness displayed by one Will Hunting towards Mr. Sean Maguire, AKA Sir Robin Williams. This narcissism embodies Sean's very critique when he said in the film, "You think I know the first thing about how hard your life has been, how you feel, who you are, because I read Oliver Twist? Does that encapsulate you?" To truly know a person, to truly understand someone, takes more than just reading the signs.

Much as I'm impressed by Holmes' display of intellectual prowess, even enjoyed it at the best of times, there were times in both RDJ and Cumberbatch's Sherlock when I wish Watson would just sock him in the face (both versions actually did).

Weirdly enough, I don't recall the literature version of the character being that... insufferable. He was eccentric, sure, but not a total antisocial prat incapable of reading social cues.

Last edited:

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Weirdly enough, I don't recall the literature version of the character being that... insufferable. He was eccentric, sure, but not a total antisocial prat incapable of reading social cues.
I recall hearing how due to copyright reasons they had to alter his personality to deviate from traditional literature. Holmes and his mannerisms prior a certain date could not be reproduced, so they needed to alter his personality to keep their Holmes separate from that which was still copyrighted.

@Oromous here's an article about it if interested.

Last edited:
Top Bottom