• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

What are you watching (13)

TriBel

Scooby
Treme S1 Ep1&2

It's a re-watch of the first two seasons so I can watch S3&4 which I haven't seen before. Not only had I forgotten the story, I'd also forgotten just how great it is. Might have to watch the extras and Spike Lee's When the Levees Broke before I watch any more.

TriBel

Scooby
When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts. Act 1 - Spike Lee

(See previous comments) HBO Documentary about Hurricane Katrina. Seen it before but forgotten how horrific it was. Hopefully the remaining Acts will explain how Venezuela; the Canadian Mounties Sean Penn and a UK TV team managed to get their shit together before FEMA did.

Mr Trick

Scooby
3rd Rock from the Sun Season 2, Episode 7: Fourth and Dick
The excellent Brenda Strong has made a apperance! 😍

M
Moggin
I love this show!
Reactions: M

Mr Trick

Scooby
More likely because the first couple of episodes are actually really solid. Its some of the other S1 episodes which are more dated.

Frank of Ireland
Promising new comedy series starring the Gleeson brothers.

Dawson's Creek Season 4
Pacey's new haircut really does make him look like a convict. Gretchen's introduction is welcome, remember liking her.

TriBel

Scooby
When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts. Act 1 - Spike Lee

(See previous comments) HBO Documentary about Hurricane Katrina. Seen it before but forgotten how horrific it was. Hopefully the remaining Acts will explain how Venezuela; the Canadian Mounties Sean Penn and a UK TV team managed to get their shit together before FEMA did.
Finished all four episodes. It's horrible...and might be one of the best things Lee's ever done. I hate governments.

@Priceless - in fairness...it was the Bush family. 😄

Last edited:
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Yeah I need a rewatch. Remember watching it first time around and just being gripped.
Priceless
Priceless
No sir, I'm an anarchist

TriBel

Scooby
Prince Philip's Funeral.

I quite like the stripped back look...and the Land Rover. The carriage and Fell ponies is a nice touch.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Demon Slayer (dark fantasy anime). Still too early to say how I rank it, but it has definitely gotten me hooked. Sometimes these pay off really well, in which case it will be a 10/10, but other times they don't (and even get silly) in which case it will get a much lower ranking.

At first it seemed vamipiric as the first demon shown, who I will call the demon-sister (last surviving member of a family so attacked while the protagonist was away) is essentially a vampire who can make minor physical changes to herself (getting a little bigger or smaller). She's pretty much a vampire (in the traditional way of Japan, even the muzzle she's made to wear is CUTE, which makes me laugh). Helping her brother out of a mix of unknown loyalty (most who turn demons turn on their family, which happened at first until they both came under the attack of a demon slayer) and hypnotism (which makes me wonder why mind control wasn't used more in the Buffyverse since they were shown to be vulnerable to it, soul or no soul) gets situations like in Buffy where they wonder how a vampire and Slayer can fight side by side.

There are two kinds of demons (not counting demon breeds here): those that willingly become them via magic ("blood art") for super powers, and those turned into them (often deliberately). It looks as if the protagonist may have found the one who turned his sister (and wouldn't surprise me if he baited them out there), though his power was truly terrifying. With just a scratch, he could turn a person into a vampire-demon within seconds, attacking with the blind will of a zombie...and they're in a crowded city (which the protagonist has never been in before and off his game because of it). He hopes he can turn his sister back into a human but it isn't clear yet if that's even possible.

Throwing in ghosts of those killed by a demon is a nice touch...as was when one demon is killed, he suddenly remembers in his dying moments that he had a brother (that he killed as a demon), and as he dies, his spirit goes to join his brother who was waiting for him, now that he was freed of the curse.

These two were creepy to me, though they seemed to on humanity's side. There's an inhumane quality like spirits--or even computer programs--though I was able to find out more online to find they're human, and brother and sister rather than sisters. Still, they creeped me out, both in how they finished each other's sentences along with seemingly finding human behavior incomprehensible to react appropriately as well as just this (in an already surreal scene):

Going by the intro, which is some guesswork as one hasn't been introduced (or at least not in that form) and the other only briefly seen so far, but it would appear both have a crush on the demon-sister, which would be an interesting twist. Here, demon-sister Nezuko:

And in game/vamp-face:

As a rule, female vampires turn out to be unrepentant monsters (even many comedies often don't do much to subvert this), one being that she needed virgin males to keep her beauty (and did a lot of exercising at the gym as well)...or, at best, they're destroyed really fast (typically with the seduced male swearing vengeance upon the other vampires who had this one vampire killed, whether or not he becomes a vampire himself). I'm hoping this gets subverted a lot.

In any case, I'm wondering many things about her (and other aspects of the story) that I hope will be answered. For a dark fantasy anime they just might...or they might not.

(I'm also on ch 4/pg 120 of Salem's Lot )

Dogs of Winter

Potential
John from Cincinnati Ep.1

It's got a suicidal Jared Kushner with a teddy bear; Al Bundy channelling Junior Soprano; a distant cousin of Mork and more eff words than Deadwood. It reminds me of Six Feet Under x American Gods...with surf boards. I've absolutely no bloody idea what's going on but it's great! Best 10p I ever spent.

@Spanky I've just ordered the DVD.
Wow thats a blast from the past. I dont think I have ever heard it mentioned since I watched it about 15 years ago.

I loved the first episode. Absolutely batshit crazy but in a good way!! After that I seem to remember it was a bit up and down quality wise but with odd moments of greatness

(and love Kem Nunn)

TriBel
TriBel
Blame @Spanky - he's the reason I'm watching it. "Absolutely batshit crazy but in a good way!" Nail. On. The. Head.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Mare of Easttown Episode 1: Miss Lady Hawk Herself
Really strong first episode for this new HBO thriller/drama. Its the perfect role for Kate Winslet, she plays cyncial/deadpan, really well. She totally disapears into the role. There's a good supporting cast too including Julianne Nicholson, Guy Pearce, Jean Smart and David Denman. First episode set up some good characters.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
probably check this out tomorrow

Hunga Munga

Scooby
Timecop season 1 .(1997) .
Stumbled across this on Youtube . It was on ABC for 9 brief weeks on the same nights as season 2 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer :p .

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn

They next need to do a video about how the interstate system promotes racism.

Top Bottom