• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What are you watching? #3

genghiskhan

God doesn't want you
Black Thorn
Good Omens Season 1

Watching the pilot now. So far not liking it. Its way too full of itself and is a total mess.
I haven't watched it yet, but I was pretty excited because I loved the book. I hope it gets better.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Not read the book so can't compare the two. Maybe its just a poor adaptation or maybe as someone who read and likes the book you'll get more out of it. I will stick with it.

TriBel

Scooby
Good Omens Season 1

Watching the pilot now. So far not liking it. Its way too full of itself and is a total mess.
I'm half way through episode 4 (I binged) and I've had to take a break. I'm disappointed with it. I adore Pratchett. I read The Colour of Magic when it came out in 1983 without any expectations and I own and I've read every one since (actually that's a lie - I haven't read the final one because then the series hasn't ended). I wish they wouldn't film his books - they're never as good as the real thing.

genghiskhan
genghiskhan
Now I'm really worried...

TriBel

Scooby
@genghiskhan As @Mr Trick says - it's messy. The pacing feels off and I haven't invested in Crowley or Aziraphale (the first seems too nasty, the second too camp). That said, don't let what we say put you off. The Guardian review wasn't great and the response BTL was mixed but The NY Times quite liked it. :)

genghiskhan

God doesn't want you
Black Thorn
What we do in the shadows (the series)
I watched the film about 2-3 years ago and I loved it and I have to admit I was slightly concerned about the series, but to be fair, it is not bad.
I enjoyed that it extends a bit on the universe with introducing other monsters and having them get involved in politics but it still just isn't the same. However, some bits really did make me laugh but it will never be half as good as the original.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
only got maybe half hour into movie. never finished.

TriBel

Scooby
@TriBel Wasn't Stardust based on a Gaiman book? I really liked that. Plus Coraline which I enjoyed too. Someone got me the book not too long ago.
Yes to both - as was Lucifer, which, ironically, was what I turned to for relief from GO. 🙄 I feel quite bad being negative about it because I think they really tried - perhaps too hard. There's a possibility that Pratchett's a "national treasure", so they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

In addition, Anathema Device and I seem to be wearing the same (or very similar) specs and she looks so much better than me. :confused:

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Not watched Lucifer yet. Not sure it would appeal to me. Maybe one day.

telperion66

Potential
Sully - Miracle on the Hudson (movie, starring Tom Hanks and Aaron Eckhart)

Buffy, season 2 - Killed by Death

Angel, season 1 - Room With a Vu

Mr Trick

Scooby
That Mitchell & Webb Look Series 3 (2009)

Tales of the City (1993)

Thought I'd give the older series a watch before the new debuts. So far its quite enjoyable. Laura Linney is such a natural and I got into her character straight away. There's a few dated 90s network TV elements, but their not dragging it down too much.

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
So I saw Deadwood: The Movie last night. I was surprised that I got like misty-eyed on a few occasions.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
The Truman show. I think it has made me feel a little better... a little... since the club I have been feeling like a prisoner in a the performance. This makes me see they are the ones who are trapped, not me. Maybe this town is just perfect to be set up as a dementia space. I'll start digging a moat.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Great film.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Chernobyl: Watched the first 4 out of the 5 episodes. Enthralling, harrowing and bleak story based on true events. It's both a damning indictment of the communist state and a testament to those individuals whose courage, fortitude, ingenuity and sacrifice prevented an even worse catastrophe.
Some of it is truly chilling and well, horrific and gory, because it graphically depicts the effects of high levels of radiation on the human body. Also dog-lovers will probably not be able to stomach episode 4, it had me in tears.

On the whole its a very illuminating story of trying to stop a meltdown from becoming literal Armageddon. All of it is incredibly well-acted by a mainly British cast.

AmberMissy

Buffy obsessed, but new here...
Just started watching Good Omens on Amazon Prime (soooo good!!!) and in the middle of Star Trek Discovery S2 on Netflix. :)
Watching them with the OH, so I'm not allowed to just binge-watch them like I normally would!!!

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
S2 was much improved!

Mr Trick

Scooby
Watched a beautiful Japanese drama from the director of Shoplifters called Still Walking (2008) which I loved.

And watched a couple of classic Seinfeld episodes. The Pony Remark (S2) and The Cigar Store Indian (S5).

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Dead to Me - on Netflix.

I am enjoying this one. Feels a bit like hormones haha. Good casting, and fun moments amongst the desperation. I don't know how I want it to end, I think I will be glad to have seen it regardless. The girl time moments around the pool make me miss hard liquor lol.

Top Bottom