• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question What are your favorite Giles moments ?

SunnydaleGlitz

Potential
Sineya
So many great moments already mentioned..

There's a single moment in Dead Man's Party which is amongst one of the most touching Giles moments ever (for me) - he goes into the kitchen to fetch trays of tea after he sees Buffy has come back and he overhears Buffy and Willow's friendly banter. And he just stops and smiles and has to pull himself together. It's a private moment of deep happiness and relief that Buffy's back. It's just such brilliant, subtle acting from him (amongst many brilliant moments.) ❤

Also - in Something Blue, when Buffy croons "Stop it..." when she and Spike make out, his pained "Yes. Please stop." gets me every time.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
Ok you guys said by afr the best ones, so it was hard to find new ones but I tried:

His quote in the Wish ``Because it has to be'' is one of the most powerful moment of hope in all the verse.
When Buffy realise why Giles is cleaning his glasses all thew times!
Giles little drawings in Hush
Giles scaring Maggie as a demon
Technically not real Giles but Dream Giles of Restless is amazing!

katmobile

Scooby
A lot of these but for me 'you must perform the ritual in a tutu, you berk'.
It's not just it's a funny line but it takes nerve to sass a psycho who's been torturing you for hours - bad ass.
Also chasing Maggie Walsh down the street in demon form.

NeddaSai

Potential
Glory Minion: No word shall pass my lips that would bring peril to Glorificus!"

Giles: "Girls, get the twine that's on the counter. Let's tie him up."

*crunch*

Minion: Aggh! Don't! I'll tell you anything! Please! Whatever you want! Just... anything!"

Anya: "What happened?"

Giles: "He changed his mind."

Also, In the same scene when he heard a tiny commotion and opened the back door and slammed the minion into it, surprising the audience/Willow.. Just awsome!!!

gnarl

Potential
Sineya
Can't claim this is his best moment but the scene that popped into my mind when I saw this thread is from 'I Was Made to Love You', when he pretended there he had loads of books about robots "just to watch Xander squirm".
I think I liked it because it suggests a closeness and comfortableness between him and Xander that is very endearing.

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
  • She's a hero, you see. She's not like us. The show's incredibly high moral bar needed a character that was still good but willing to be ruthless and pragmatic for everyone's sake while understanding why Buffy couldn't be like that. This scene just illustrates perfectly why Giles is always slightly apart from the Scoobies (beside the age difference), and it does showcase his complexity and depth. Fantastic acting by ASH (but then that's pretty much a given).
  • And the funny keeps on coming I like that they allowed Giles to not be ok with Angel's return, soul or not. Again, the performance here is just breathtaking, and you can feel just how much pain and rage he's tring to repress, mostly for Buffy's sake.
  • You have no respect for me, or the job I perform Giles' love for Buffy doesn't blind him to her faults, and I love that , at least at this stage of their relationship, he doesn't hide his disappointment, but expresses it in a very clear and respectful manner.
  • But then I always thought so While I don't idealise his bond to Buffy 100%, I do think it's one of the most heart-warming, deep relationship of the show and this scene just makes my heart melt.

vampmogs

Potential
Favourite Giles moments:

Innocence:

GILES:
I know you loved him. And he proved more than once that he loved you too. You couldn't have known what would happen. The next few months are going to be hard, I suspect on all of us, but if it's guilt you're looking for Buffy I am not your man. All you will get from me is my support, and my respect.

I adore this scene. Both SMG and ASH are so good in it and I love the aesthetics (the rain drops on the windows, Giles' beatdown car, the frost on the glass, the slow rollup to the front of Buffy's home) and the quiet, understated acting. He tells her everything a good father-figure should say but I also love the scene for it's painful foreshadowing ("I suspect on all of us").

Passion:

Giles launching a Molotov Cocktail and then wielding a flaming baseball bat will never be the epitome of badass. ASH plays his entrance so well as he lights the bat on fire without taking his eyes off Angel for a second and then beating the holy sh*t out of him.

Amends:

GILES:
Come in
ANGEL: I.. ah.. can't come in unless you invite me
GILES: (reveals the crossbow and aims it directly at Angel) I'm aware of that. Come in.

This is such a great scene in general. Angel's guilt and discomfort at going to Giles for help, Giles' expression when he opens the door and sees Angel for the first time since knowing he's back, Angel's uneasiness at having to "remind" Giles to invite him in, Giles fetching the crossbow... it's so brilliant. I also love that Giles can't help but be concerned and intrigued despite his feelings about Angel. And on a purely shallow note, ASH/Giles looks really attractive in that striped Ralph Polo shirt.

A New Man:

GILES:
Maybe we should have invited Professor Walsh to the party
BUFFY: Oh nah she's, like, forty. She's got better things to do then hang out with a bunch of kids!

Giles has a lot of great moments throughout this episode but I always feel for Giles in this scene in particular. The writing does a brilliant job of having the characters take "digs" at Giles that don't feel unintentionally nasty, forced or uncharacteristic. And ASH does a fantastic job of showing Giles' discomfort throughout the party and he feels more out of place with each passing hour. I really feel for him that every time he tries to relate to one of the Scoobies ("there's a lot of new faces here aren't they?") they're too engrossed in their new college lives to relate or even pick up on how estranged Giles is feeling. And I appreciate any episodes the highlight the significant age gap between Giles and the other Scoobies and how he understandably struggles with hits.

The Gift:

GILES:
Can you move?
BEN: Need a med... She could've killed me
GILES: No she couldn't. And sooner or later Glory will reemerge and make Buffy pay for that mercy and the world with her. And still she couldn't take a human life. She's a hero, you see. She's not like us.
BEN: Us?
*Giles smothers Ben*

A lot of people refer to this moment as Giles' "Ripper-side" coming out, but I'd disagree. Ripper was chaotic, irresponsible and unruly. In this scene Giles is certainly ruthless but he's doing what he feels needs to be done for the sake of the world and for Buffy and he believes it's his responsibility and his duty to do so ("I swore to protect this sorry world and sometimes that means doing and saying what other's cant. They shouldn't have to"). ASH plays it so perfectly and Whedon's dialogue is superb.

Halloween:

ETHAN:
And you said the Ripper was long gone...
GILES: (kicks Ethan in the stomach and rubs the blood off his fingers) Tell me how to break the spell

One of the most pivotal scenes in Giles' story as his "Ripper" side and dark past is revealed. But I'm always particularly amazed by ASH's acting in this scene and how his entire body language changes whilst he's attacking Ethan and showcases a completely different side of his character that we've not yet seen. His posture and stance is completely different and the brutality and physicality of his attacks on Ethan are drastically different from the almost "fumbling" way Giles has carried himself thus far.

Honourable Mentions:

Helpless:
The moment Giles tends to Buffy's wound with the wet cloth ("You have a father's love for the child and that is useless to the cause")
Spiral: The Buffy/Giles heart-to-heart as he lays wounded ("I'm so proud of you. You've come so far. You're everything a Watcher - everything I could have hoped for")
Graduation Day I: Giles' fierce protectiveness of Buffy as The Mayor threatens her and Giles plunges the sword into his heart ("I'm going to eat her")
I Was Made to Love You: Giles threatening Spike in the Magic Box and shocking even Spike ("We are not your way to Buffy. There is no way to Buffy. Spike, this thing, it ends now. Move the hell on")
Prophecy Girl: Giles gearing up to fight The Master himself instead of Buffy ("Buffy, you were right. I've waded around in these old books for so long I've forgotten what the real world is like. It's time I found out")
Becoming II: Withstanding Angel's torture and being sassy as hell in the process ("You must perform the ritual... in a tutu. Pelic")

I adore Giles.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
One of the better scenes was in "Buffy vs. Dracula" where Giles falls into the pit with the three vampire women:

RILEY: Buffy? Are you in- (stops himself before falling into the pit) Giles! Giles!

Riley pulls out a cross and holds it up. The three female vampires hiss and slink away. Riley tosses the cross to Giles, who catches it.

RILEY: Come on, come on. Grab my hand.
GILES: Thank god you came.
RILEY: Come on!
GILES: There was no possible escape.

Still staring back toward the sisters, Giles takes Riley's hand and Riley pulls him up. Giles notices his foot has only a sock on it.

GILES: Oh, my shoe. (Pointing back into the pit) Silly me, I'll just pop-
RILEY: No no no, sir! (Pulls him away) No more chick pit for you. Come on.

They get up and move off down the hall.

Priceless

Scooby
I really like when Giles laughs at Xander's moon pie joke in Phases. I think he's just so giddy at having to contend with a werewolf he's even prepared to laugh at a Xander joke instead of telling him off as he usually does.

Top Bottom