• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What are your reading

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
I am reading ...

The British are Coming
The War for America, Lexington to Princeton, 1775 - 1777
Volume one of the Revolution Trilogy
(author) Rick Atkinson

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Still haven't finished that Angel novel
Pilo Family Circus - started it last year, now it's collecting dust, cause it freaked me out, it was so well-written and creepy!

white avenger

white avenger
"The Outlaw Of Mars" by Otis Adelbert Kline.

It's in the same genre as Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars series, with Kline's Jerry Morgan taking John Carter's role (in fact, Kline was accused of deliberately stealing Burroughs' idea and developing it for himself, but Burroughs reciprocated by stealing Kline's idea and developing his own Venus series That resulted in Kline taking Burroughs' idea for Tarzan, and developing his own series, "Tam, The Son Of The Tiger," and so on. The feud went on for several years, all to the enjoyment of the fans)

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Re-reading Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (a very interesting read, goes into a lot more detail about the mechanisms of the park than the film does)
Almost always re-reading Little Women (I carry a copy around with me at all times)
Just started reading The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith for the first time (I've always loved the movie, the book has a different tone but is very interesting)

Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
I didn't really care for the Ripley book but loved the movie
genghiskhan
genghiskhan
I love both the book and the movie for Jurassic park.

NeddaSai

Potential
Perfume: The story of a murderer.

Kinda upset since I was spoiled about the ending, not sure if I should continue. Anyone read it and can tell me of it's worth reading even after knowing the ending?

Ann

Nee chatwuann Bangelite
Pride and Prejudice and Frenchman's Creek by Daphne DuMaurier. I also have others by Daphne DuMaurier that I will read after I finish those.

nightshade

Headless chicken
Staff member
Black Thorn
The Horse and His Boy - C.S. Lewis

Continuing my read through of The Chronicles of Narnia

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Managing the Nonprofit Organisation..

People of the book - this one is taking me a while. I like it, but really have no where comfy enough to sit to get into it well. I read about a chapter and then stop. I've been at it for weeks, its due back tomorrow.

I got a bunch from the tip shop that I left in the car, I am not sure if there are any in that stack that I need to read immediately.

Last edited:

TriBel

Scooby
Sigh...
Great Glowing Coils of the Universe: Welcome to Night Vale Episodes, Vol 2 (no idea why I’m reading it because I listen to the podcasts). I've got five more Night Vale books lined up. They've got nice covers and pictures in them.

Ada Calhoun St. Marks is Dead: The Many Lives of America's Hippest Street (Bought it at The Tate when I went to see the Keith Haring exhibition – I’ve no idea why other than it looked interesting, it's got pictures in it and a nice cover.)

Alasdair Gray Of Me and Others: 1952–2019 and HELL: Dante's Divine Trilogy Part One. (I probably won’t read these. I bought them because I did my PhD on Gray and felt obliged. Plus I discovered I’d already got the first one - which I haven't read). The second has a nice cover and drawings in it.

In addition, I have two trade paper backs of Lucifer on order. Lots of pictures (unfortunately not of Tom Ellis) ...I think I've identified a theme. 🙄 I'm crap with books. 😕

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
Went to the book store and got some books to read.

The Conservative Sensibility
George F Will

The Kennedy Heirs
John, Caroline, and the New Generation -- A Legacy of Tragedy and Triumph
J Randy Taraborrelli

A History of the Bible
The Story of the World's Most Influential Book
John Barton

Anointed With Oil
How Christianity and Crude Made Modern America
Darren Dochuk

The Ice At The End Of The World
A Epic Journey Into Greenland's Buried Past And Our Perilous Future
Jon Gertner

Fault Lines
A History Of The United States Since 1974
Kevin M Kruse and Julian E Zelizer

The Accident Of Color
A Story Of Race In Reconstruction
Daniel Brook

Young Castro
The Making Of A Revolutionary
Jonathan M Hansen

genghiskhan

God doesn't want you
Black Thorn
I'm reading Leia at the moment, it is basically Princess Leia's life as 16 year old. I can't remember who the author is though.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
The Age of Reason Jean-Paul Sartre
The Family Idiot: Gustave Flaubert, 1821-1857, Volume 1 by Jean-Paul Sartre
A bunch of secondary literature on Henry James and psychology/philosophy

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
The Age of Reason Jean-Paul Sartre
The Family Idiot: Gustave Flaubert, 1821-1857, Volume 1 by Jean-Paul Sartre
A bunch of secondary literature on Henry James and psychology/philosophy
Jean Paul Sartre (1905 - 1980), since your into him too, you might like to read "Being and Nothingness" (1943). I have been a existentialist since 1992, and it has been years since I have been able to talk to a fellow existentialist. It is complex, and everyone is different to the other. But I am glad your reading him even if you do not join the faith. Still, I like Albert Camus (1913 - 1960), as he is more fun to read and nails who I am.

Reading

The Shadow King
The Life and Death of Henry VI
Lauren Johnson

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
I stopped about 1/3 the way through Being and Nothingness not too long ago. I'll try again at some point

Mr. Pointy

A sharp stick - it's true
Watcher
Black Thorn
I've just finished Heroes by Stephen Fry and started The Long Cosmos by Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter (the last in their Long Earth series and my last ever chance to read fiction written by Terry 😥)

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Re-reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. I recently bought the miniseries, so I wanted to re-read the book before watching. I love the novel, it's very dark and uncomfortable with this kind of malevolent feel to it. Plus the protagonist is so interesting, given how messed up she is. Her narrative is incredibly intense to read but at the same time utterly addictive.

brinkster130
brinkster130
I really enjoyed Sharp Objects!

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
Still on Dracula! It's not that it's bad, in fact, it's the opposite, I'm really enjoying it. But being that it was written in the 1800s, well, it's a little heavy writing to take in the way I usually do; all in one sitting. I'm at Mina's diary excerpts atm and wondering about Lucy's 'strange' behavior :)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe. I wanted to see what Jane Austen was making fun of :D

Taake
Taake
Lol, I’ve thought about reading that, wasn’t sure it was still in print!
Top Bottom