• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question What characters in the Buffyverse should (or shouldn't) have been killed off?

genghiskhan

God doesn't want you
Black Thorn
I was watching a Watchmojo video (my first mistake) that was showing unnecessary character deaths and both Cordelia (who apparently died in Buffy as well according to watchmojo) and Tara were on the list.
This got me wondering, which characters do people think should or shouldn't have been killed off and why?
(sorry if a thread already exists for this - I couldn't find it).

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Don't kill:

Tara - She's beautiful and so serene.

Sunday - I loved her. Bad ass punk/vamp.

Anya - She deserved more.

Jonathan - That was just WRONG.

Lindsay - I really, really liked the guy!

KILL:

All the Potentials, especially Kennedy - they were annoying and unnecessary.

Wood - Just don't like him. At all.

Parker - Just because.

That professor who humiliated Buffy in class - Yeah, kill his ass. Then bring him back to life and kill him again.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Kill off:

Kennedy- Did anyone expect me not to have Kennedy on this list. I just hate her is the simplest explanation. She should've been eaten by Gnarl, a slow tortuous death that may garner her some sympathy.

Andrew- He was a waste of screen time in Season 7. He's quite lacking without the rest of the trio. His crush on Spike was mildly amusing, however he may have worked better if he still had Jonathan to play off of. It's no coincidence that the most enjoyable scenes with Andrew in Season 7 were when he was interacting with the First disguised as Warren.

Rona- She was so annoying. Her refusal to help herself should've been what led to her death as a form of cautionary tale.

Robin Wood- More so because he served his purposed by the end of LMPTM but then hung around and stabbed Buffy in the back .

Shouldn't have been killed off:

Tara- Her death was unnecessary and only happened so that Whedon could get his jollies of killing off a regular character in the opening credits when the audience least expects it. It was a terrible execution of the idea. Jenny's death was most surprising to the audience and Whedon wanted to do the whole "character appears in opening credits for first time and is killed off in the same episode" then Tara's death should've happened in a season opener (which not only would surprise the audience, but would also give Willow the time to grieve for a whole season before potentially getting a new love interest that isn't Kennedy). As it stands it's so obvious something is going to happen to Tara when she suddenly appears in the opening credits four episodes from the end of the season. It's suspicious, nobody would've batted an eye if Tara appeared in the Season 6 or 7 opening credits.

Darla- It would've been interesting to see how Buffy would react to the news that Darla had Angel's child.

Joyce- Everything went to doom and gloom for Buffy once Joyce died. Whilst life does throw crap at you, Buffy seemed to have everything but the kitchen sink thrown at her. Life isn't that bad. Sure there's challenges but it's not a heaping pile of misery.

Jonathan- He can stand on his own outside of the trio much better than Andrew can. He's also got history with the scoobies and the audience so they are more likely to root for his redemption.

Anya- She deserved more, at the very least a better death.

Sunday- She could've been in a few more episodes.

Chloe- At least not in the way she was. It would've been nice to see her stand up to Kennedy.

Snyder- He was amusing and it would've been funny if he was principal whilst Dawn was at high school.

I'm not counting Spike since he came back after his death.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I wanted to see that Neanderthal who humiliated Xander in ‘Beer Bad’ be killed violently on screen. It would have been satisfying.

genghiskhan

God doesn't want you
Black Thorn
I'm going to answer my own question:
KILL
Kennedy and Rona -they got to live and Amanda got to die? I don't accept that.
Parker - I wish the gentlemen killed him instead of that random kid. That would have been nice.

NOT KILL
Doyle- My all time favourite character in Angel, I still can't believe they killed him off 9 episodes in and gave Cordelia the visions (which lead to the downfall of her character).
Tara - Kind of my fault as she basically has the same personality as one of my closest friends so I felt a big connection to Tara, my heart broke when Tara died.
Katrina - I get why she died and I liked Dead Things but I would have liked to see her get her own back on Warren.
Johnathan - It would have been nice to see some kind of friendship develop between him and Buffy.

Tank1978

Townie
Other than the obvious Tara, cordy and Fred. It's a shame the science teacher had to die in teacher's pet.

Lilah- ok her death was probably necessary but couldn't they have brought her back as the teams liaison in season 5. Would have been much better than ever or Hamilton.
Lindseys death seemed a little pointless after he helped Angel in the end battle
Buffybot- surely she could still have useful in a fight and willow could have fixed her

Deaths- any potential who didn't die
Wood
Jasmine as a still birth. Cordy saved and no Jasmine episodes 😀
Lecturer that kicks Buffy out in s4.

Also - anyone else wonder how the Groosalug got on after he left. He had no money, no skills other than fighting and no real idea about our dimension. Would have been interesting to see him again and find out how he was doing. Even if he ended up as a cop or a soldier (may be he can appear in season 3 of seal)!!!!

slayer730

Potential
Should Kill
Dawn
- Season 7 would have been the best time and to have imo. It would have been touching if there was a situation written where the roles of season 5's finale were reversed Dawn had to sacrifice herself for Buffy

Don't Kill
Cordelia
- The more I think about it, the more I feel she really didn't need to die. As touching as her exit was she easily could have stayed until the end.

Change the nature of the death
Lilah
- Eve wasn't particularly all that interesting or charismatic as her replacement and it wouldn't have been too far fetched to have her in the role of liaison. She still could have died but just remained on the show

Spike - If Cordelia were to stay then I think that would have meant naturally Spike wouldn't have been resurrected

Doyle - I like the idea of Doyle dying and passing on the visions but wish the character would have lasted closer to the end of the first season

Fred/Illyria - I think that if Angel lasted a couple of more seasons then I would have liked to have seen Illyria undone and Fred return

Last edited:
D
Dora
Cordy had to die they needed her money to pay Spike

genghiskhan

God doesn't want you
Black Thorn
Don't Kill
Cordelia
- The more I think about it, the more I feel she really didn't need to die. As touching as her exit was she easily could have stayed until the end.

Change the nature of the death
Lilah
- Eve wasn't particularly all that interesting or charismatic as her replacement and it wouldn't have been too far fetched to have her in the role of liaison. She still could have died but just remained on the show

Spike - If Cordelia were to stay then I think that would have meant naturally Spike wouldn't have been resurrected
Yeah I agree about Lilah and it would just be funnier to have her instead of Eve in general.
I don't agree about Cordelia though, she had already lost a lot about what makes her an interesting and funny character to the point where I was hoping she wouldn't be brought back. I enjoyed about how her story ended. After season 4 I believe it needed more comic relief which Cordy hadn't been good for for the past 2 seasons. I'm glad Spike got brought over because firstly, more flashbacks (the fanged four flashbacks are my favourite) and it made an interesting dynamic between Spike and Angel.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
KILL

Eve - Another unnecessary character, plus she was almost as annoying as Kennedy.

Lorne - After S3, he was just a joke to me...and God, I HATE karaoke!

Dawn - She was cute, but Buffy didn't really need a little sister. If anything, she made Buffy's life A LOT more hopeless...and sad.

Riley - Type A jock/commando? No, no, no thanks. He makes white bread look exotic. And he has stupid hair. 😅

DON'T KILL

Lilah - Honestly, she was the best female character on Angel (after Illyria, that is) Lilah just spoke to my heart. ❤

Sluggoth Demon - C'mon now! How can anyone resist a giant worm that eats puppies?

Jenny Calendar - Poor girl. Just trying to help out the family, and look what that got her. I really liked her! Even if she was a gypsy....nah, I'm not gonna say it.

Sahjan and Skip - Both are equally menacing, hilarious, and determined. Angel's initial conversation with Skip had me in hysterics! And Sahjan was such a smart ass; I loved how boasted to Lilah that he created Daylight Savings Time. 😅

Last edited:
Spanky
Spanky
Agree with everything except Eve and Riley

genghiskhan

God doesn't want you
Black Thorn
Kill: Spike (at the end of lovers walk)

Dont kill: Darla ( Connor was not worth it)
I can just imagine Buffy shoving a stake through his heart and he looks down at his chest and just says "bollocks." before turning into dust.

As much as I love Angel trying to be a father, Connor is the reason I find angel season 4 insufferable so I kind of have to agree there.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I agree with Darla the most. It's clear the Producers did, as they brought her back as much as possible. The Master lacked for lackeys who weren't bit players from the Mortal Kombat films. The Second one. For you. I also go with Cordie as least needed death.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Hey, I LIKED the Mortal Combat films! 😂

BuffyBot22

Scooby
KILL
Andrew- he was utterly pointless and not amusing. I found him insufferable. And if he couldn't be killed off, he at least deserved to be in prison.

Connor- I mean he was just the WORST

Dawn- not in a "I hate her" kind of way. It's just if the plan was to continue BtVS after s5, Dawn really should have been the one to die. It works better narratively that way

Rona- She was just absolutely TERRIBLE

Harmony- She is a waste of screentime

Don't Kill
Cordelia- She's Queen C. She deserved so much better than what got handed to her. She deserved to come out of that coma and really be Cordy again. Then Spike wouldn't even have been needed for s5 of AtS and he could have stayed dead like he should have.

Anya- She was finally getting a little redemption and poof she's dead

Darla & Lilah- Just because they are both too damn interesting to kill off. Why do writers always want to kill off the most interesting/entertaining/complex characters? I guess laziness is probably the answer

Lindsay- He falls under that same category as being interesting

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Don't kill:

Kathy - She was really funny, even though I will NEVER listen to Cher again.

Joyce - It would've been a lot easier on everyone if she'd been around. Think of all the terrible things that might've been averted if she hadn't died.

KILL:

Snyder - Annoying little Ferengi. I wish Buffy could've "accidentally" staked him. Several times.

Gunn - He really served no purpose, other than being the token black guy.

Mrs Rosenberg - If she'd paid more attention to her daughter, perhaps Willow would've had more confidence growing up.

Mr Harris - What a terrible dad. Obviously.

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
I disagree on Snyder, Gunn and Kathy. Kathy was annoying.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I'm thinking more of Khan and his "generals" from the second film. Think of "The Three." A couple of big guys wearing fake teeth and silly costumes while ranting about "By the moons of the Breakworld, I'll kill her a lot."

Top Bottom