• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What Comics to Get?

nightshade

Hidden away in a cupboard under the stairs
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'm heading to the comic book store tomorrow, and going to see what Buffy ones they have, I expect they will have the newest season 12 one, so I'll get that but if they have others what do you recommend I get?

I have:

High school years: 1 and 2
Tales of the Slayer
Season 9 Volume 1
Angel and Faith: Live Through This part 1

Black Thorn
I would continue with Angel and Faith Season 9 (Live Through This is the first part of that season). It is hands down the best of the comics seasons when taken as a whole.

Depends on what you like. There are crossovers, some that have a horror feel, others a superhero comic feel, and so on.

Here's a random suggestion: The Death of Buffy which links season 5 to 6, expanding on season 5, explaining how Willow learned the spell to bring back Buffy, and IIRC (it's been awhile since I read this and my memory is fuzzy on this point), also where Spike was (in gratitude) told where to go when he needed a favor (that is, told where to go where he'd get his soul back).

It also shows what made them decide to use the Buffybot, but how it turned out to be a troublesome solution as Dawn was getting in trouble at school (the Buffybot just didn't know how to talk to school principals).

Mrs Gordo

(She's not even a vampire.) No, I'm an attorney.
Black Thorn
I would continue with Angel and Faith Season 9 (Live Through This is the first part of that season). It is hands down the best of the comics seasons when taken as a whole.
Yeah I’m with Grace, don’t miss out on a&f9 it’s as good as it gets.

Although s9 won’t make sense without s8...

I like After the Fall as well. Although the art isn’t my favorite I like Angel’s journey.

I'm heading to the comic book store tomorrow, and going to see what Buffy ones they have, I expect they will have the newest season 12 one, so I'll get that but if they have others what do you recommend I get?

I have:

High school years: 1 and 2
Tales of the Slayer
Season 9 Volume 1
Angel and Faith: Live Through This part 1
That's a random selection of comics you got there, so my first recommendation would be, assuming you just want to jump straight into something amazing would be A&FS9 Vol. 2- Daddy Issues. As everyone else has said, that first season of A&F is amazing.

Other good places to start:
Buffy Season 8 Vol. 1- Long Way Home (this was the beginning of it all)
Angel: After The Fall Vol. 1 (this one's a little comic-booky btw)
Tales (hardcover collecting Tales of the Slayer and Tales of the Vampires)
Willow: Wonderland (if you're just a huge Willow fan)
Fray (set in the far future. S12 ties in big time)ffy
Buffy Omnibus Vol. 1 (includes The Origin [retelling of the movie script], and a couple stories that take place pre-S1)

nightshade
nightshade
I need to check which Tales one I have

nightshade

Hidden away in a cupboard under the stairs
Staff member
Black Thorn
Yeah it's because I read a lot from the library instead of buying them, but I want to start buying a few now.

The store was lacking in Buffy this time, so I only ended up buying the third High School one, Parental Parasite. However I'm going to keep an eye out and try and get more, I got the season 9 one in a charity shop.

Willow Tara

Love the Buffyverse♥️ Tillow Forever!!!
Yeah it's because I read a lot from the library instead of buying them, but I want to start buying a few now.

The store was lacking in Buffy this time, so I only ended up buying the third High School one, Parental Parasite. However I'm going to keep an eye out and try and get more, I got the season 9 one in a charity shop.
I also have a few Buffy comics and I want to start a (full) collection now. You can look at this thread: Buffyverse Complete Reading Order Guide! there might be very helpful posts. And you can always ask, because there are so many nice people who know so much about the Buffyverse Comics.