• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What did Lorne actually do during season 5?

Mr Trick

Scooby
So he was part of the entertainment division at W&H. But how is that important to his role within the show. It seems like they dropped the ball with Lorne and just had him walking around gossiping about famous people.

Her had one or two big moments during the season. But it was mostly a washout for me. Agree or disagree?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Agreed. I really liked Lorne in late S3 and a lot of S4.

But S5 he was wasted, his reasons for joining W&H were the least sympathetic (Fame!) and he was largely misused for most of the season.
He hosted the Halloween party, had a couple of good moments in regards to Fred's death and...oh! He shot Lindsey and then walked away from the battle. Is that right?

That the best end to an arc, it has to be said.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Agreed. I really liked Lorne in late S3 and a lot of S4.

But S5 he was wasted, his reasons for joining W&H were the least sympathetic (Fame!) and he was largely misused for most of the season.
He hosted the Halloween party, had a couple of good moments in regards to Fred's death and...oh! He shot Lindsey and then walked away from the battle. Is that right?

That the best end to an arc, it has to be said.
Pretty much. They never gave a justified reason for him being at W&H except that he was just part of the gang and like you say fame. Think he was the highlight of The Life of the Party. It was good to explore his darker side and the closing with Angel was touching. I liked that he killed Lindsey but yeah that felt like a token gesture more.

Athena

Has anyone seen my human vessel?
Staff member
Black Thorn
Lorne just seemed fed up in Season 5. Maybe the actor was fed up too? Maybe they always intended to write him out at the end of the season, he was so woefully under-utilised it's actually quite sad.

His final scenes were great, but you can quite clearly see that Lorne has reached the end of his tether. For a character who was so upbeat and fun in earlier seasons, this isn't how he deserves to end his involvement.

Spanish Flame

It's Not Easy Being Green
So he was part of the entertainment division at W&H. But how is that important to his role within the show. It seems like they dropped the ball with Lorne and just had him walking around gossiping about famous people.

Her had one or two big moments during the season. But it was mostly a washout for me. Agree or disagree?
Totally agree!

Pretty much. They never gave a justified reason for him being at W&H except that he was just part of the gang and like you say fame. Think he was the highlight of The Life of the Party. It was good to explore his darker side and the closing with Angel was touching. I liked that he killed Lindsey but yeah that felt like a token gesture more.
The best episode of Lorne. But not more to tell. I think his character was the less evolutive of all with all the potential that Lorne had, the abilities, the jokes....But then it tourned out to nothing. It was not fair!

Lorne just seemed fed up in Season 5. Maybe the actor was fed up too? Maybe they always intended to write him out at the end of the season, he was so woefully under-utilised it's actually quite sad.

His final scenes were great, but you can quite clearly see that Lorne has reached the end of his tether. For a character who was so upbeat and fun in earlier seasons, this isn't how he deserves to end his involvement.
As far as I know, i might wrong... Andy -the actor- wanted to be there but as Andy told once in 2005 (if I remember well) the Big Bosses dislike Lorne and how popular he got and they were forced to make him regular. That's what I think it happened, not sure if it's completely right or not....

But anyway.... it was a very unfair treatment for Lorne over Season 5.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Yea the show wanted to move all the main characters into Wolfram and Hart. Gunn had no reason to be there either so they gave him lawyer knowledge. Lorne they had run the entertainment division. But why does W&H have an Entertainment division if it's a lawfirm? They just needed a reason for Lorne to be with the gang. I remember something about him screening the employees with his empathy power. I kinda wish that he reopened Caritas and was just a recurring character like he was in season 2. I do love his ending though, it's sad.

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
Probably to make the firm more entertaining.

VisionBoy

Scooby
Sineya
Wasn't Andy quite ill during season 5? I'm sure I recall on one of the commentaries someone saying that he'd been really struggling with his pain for a while and he'd basically go and collapse the moment they yelled cut. Not sure, but maybe that could have had something to do with Lorne's lack of story.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
But why does W&H have an Entertainment division if it's a lawfirm? They just needed a reason for Lorne to be with the gang. I remember something about him screening the employees with his empathy power. I kinda wish that he reopened Caritas and was just a recurring character like he was in season 2. I do love his ending though, it's sad.
Entertainment law is quite the big business in L.A. Entertainment lawyers negotiate contracts for their clients and things like merchandising rights for shows. In some parts of the business, they compete with agents for the right to negotiate for a client even though they do not shop them around to various projects as an agent would. And furthering the interests of evil in the entertainment industry? Seems like an important part of any Wolfram & Hart strategy to me.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Entertainment law is quite the big business in L.A. Entertainment lawyers negotiate contracts for their clients and things like merchandising rights for shows. In some parts of the business, they compete with agents for the right to negotiate for a client even though they do not shop them around to various projects as an agent would. And furthering the interests of evil in the entertainment industry? Seems like an important part of any Wolfram & Hart strategy to me.
Well I had no idea and didn't really get the impression that that was what Lorne was doing in the entertainment dept. But I don't really remember Lorne from season 5 until the end.

Spanish Flame

Wasn't Andy quite ill during season 5? I'm sure I recall on one of the commentaries someone saying that he'd been really struggling with his pain for a while and he'd basically go and collapse the moment they yelled cut. Not sure, but maybe that could have had something to do with Lorne's lack of story.
I might be wrong . .. i could be.... but wasnt that after Angel ended . ... now, he was hospitalized so I guess he could be ill on the end of the season . ...:(

I didnt know that . Now it all makes sense to me.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
Everyone is making good points in this thread. Lorne slumped to the finish line in S5, and yes it was sad to behold. The actor really played his sense of exhaustion well; even in happier moments and while joking in S5 this exhaustion was palpable from Lorne. His smiles seemed forced. I get exhausted myself just watching the guy.

I agree also with everyone that the character lost direction and purpose, and the use he received was unsatisfying for me too.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Lorne is fantastic in Not Fade Away. Other than that I felt like he was pretty useless most of s5. Its like they added Andy to the theme song late season 4 and realized they had nothing to do for him.

Spanish Flame

Lorne is fantastic in Not Fade Away. Other than that I felt like he was pretty useless most of s5. Its like they added Andy to the theme song late season 4 and realized they had nothing to do for him.
yeah, same thought

I think they were too busy with Angel and Spike and the shanghshu (sorry for the wrong spelling)... He could have done lot more in season 5. You can see it in Season 2....

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Lorne was really great for me in "Life Of The Party" but majority of S5 Lorne was a side character & I wasn't a huge fan of how his character ended.
But that being said despite his S5 flaws. It didn't erase how much I loved him in S2 - S4.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Well, remember that it probably took two hours to put on that make up on, and they were working 18 hours days. Most of the cast, aside from Vamp-face, didn't really have complex makeup, it's like, shine Gunn's head, comb Spike's hair, and Amy probably wakes up looking like that. So of course he was tired, any day he worked, he was the first there, and the last to leave. Andy did die of a dental infection, which is basically long term poor hygiene so, I think it's safe to say he wasn't really taking care of himself either, for whatever reason, but possibly exhaustion. So, if he looks miserable, he probably was.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
What did Lorne actually do during Season 5? He sat around neglected waiting for the writers to come up with useful story ideas for him. Aaaand he's still waiting (wherever he went after killing Lindsay).

Top Bottom