• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What do you guys think of Dawn Summers?!

LemonBanana

Scooby
Sineya
Dawn. I think she’s like marmite: you either love her or you hate her! 😂 I love the character and I think she is a vital part in Buffy, but I have just finished season six and she is starting to get on my nerves! I know she is an annoying little sister, but I think she could moan a little less and be grateful for everything Buffy has done for her! At the end of season 6, when Buffy begins to cry because the world didn’t end and Willow was ok, Dawn was like “oh, I’m sorry the world didn’t end!” For god sakes kid, give your sister a break, she has died and been brought back to life and she is the SLAYER, her ultimate goal is to save the world!!! I found it funny that when Willow turned bad, she was taking the piss out of Dawn, telling her she moaned a lot, maybe now she will think twice before making everything about her! However, I do feel sorry for her! It must be hard for her, she is surrounded by death and Buffy is out patrolling (with spike cough cough) a lot,but when Buffy/Willow wants to spend time with her, she doesn’t wanna know! What are your thoughts on Dawn Summers?!?! Please know, I don’t mean any hate, I love the character and the actress and I respect all of you opinions! Do tell me if I’m wrong on anything! This my second post so feeling a bit nervous 😂! 😊 💕

Hunga Munga

Scooby
I don't want to spoil you for season 7 mate , so I'll be brief .

I think many fans go through a period of resenting Dawn . I know I did . Over time I've come to sympathise with her plight . So little of her life is 'authentic' so every thought is suspect . Is it real ...or just another echo of the Monk spell ? That's one hell for a headtrip for a traumatised young teen .

LemonBanana
LemonBanana
Yes you are right! Thanks so much for the reply!

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I love Dawn and I think that many fans are too hard on her. While I'll admit that S6 is my least favorite Dawn, I still love her and think that people often forget what she goes through during it. Her words to Buffy are not her being mean, but genuinely believing, for a moment, that her sister is disappointed that the world didn't end. And nothing has happened all year to make her believe any differently. However, she's also quick to realize that they are tears of joy, showing that she does understand her sister and know her sister more than she's often given credit for.

I don't know if this is your first time through the show, but my favorite Dawn is S7, so there is something to look forward to, either way :)

LemonBanana
LemonBanana
Thank you! I am looking forward to s7 even more now!!!

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I love Dawn very much she's a pretty great character in my eyes and a personal favourite behind Faith and Buffy. I think her conception in the show is so clever and it's one of the best arcs of the show- even if there are logistical plot holes. Dawn also has depth and personality herself which stops her from being just a plot device. I love how perceptive she is in Blood Ties, noticing how everyone is acting off with her. And Michelle is a great actress :)
Maybe it's because I started the show at season 7 and so Dawn was always there for me and I never had to get used to her but I don't particularly find her annoying :)

LemonBanana
LemonBanana
Yes I have to agree, Michelle is a great actress! Thanks so much, this was really interesting to read! I haven’t seen s7 yet but everyone is saying that she is amazing in it so I can’t wait!!! Xx

Kratos

Scooby
Dawn’s one of my favourite characters. Maybe it’s because I see bits of my teen self in her. It was news to me to find out she’s so disliked when I first visited this forum around 2011. Giving Buffy a younger sister was a refreshing change for the show and made her more relatable imo. Only time I found her mean was in Normal Again. Like @Athene, I thought Dawn was always there, as the first episodes of BtVS I saw were from season 5.

burrunjor

Potential
On season 6 now and Dawn has been an okay character so far. Her introduction is one of the wildest and craziest things I've ever seen in a tv show, she is likable enough, she helped cast Buffy in a new role and her friendship with Spike, as well as her crush on Xander are very endearing.

I'm yet to get to the seriously whiney bits of S6 like the infamous "get out, Get Out, GET OUT!!!!!"

Still I don't think she is the worst part of S6 or even S5 (which is more a mixed bag than I remember.)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Dawn eats ice cream like a moron.

I don't dislike Dawn, I think MT does a good job with the character, however I don't really like her either. Season 5 is kind of when the show started to go downhill in my view (though that's not to that there weren't good things in the later seasons) and Dawn's inclusion was a big part of that. I'm glad Season 5 wasn't the last because that would've been a poor way to end the show, not because of Buffy's death, but the reason she jumped. It's not good to end a series with "here's a character that's never been seen or heard about before this season but let's pretend she's been there the whole time and she is sooooooooooo important to Buffy".

Whilst Whedon and co do dress it up a little so it makes sense in story, it doesn't change the fact that it is still a "Cousin Oliver" situation. Season 7 was very kind to Dawn, but ultimately Buffy's life started turning to crap because of Dawn. Season 6 Dawn is the worst version of Dawn.

LemonBanana
LemonBanana
Yeah, I’m totally with you on the season 5 Buffy dying thing! I didn’t like S6 Dawn as much but I have started season S7 just now and I already see a different side of her that I like! Thanks so much for you opinion!!!

burrunjor

Potential
Dawn eats ice cream like a moron.

I don't dislike Dawn, I think MT does a good job with the character, however I don't really like her either. Season 5 is kind of when the show started to go downhill in my view (though that's not to that there weren't good things in the later seasons) and Dawn's inclusion was a big part of that. I'm glad Season 5 wasn't the last because that would've been a poor way to end the show, not because of Buffy's death, but the reason she jumped. It's not good to end a series with "here's a character that's never been seen or heard about before this season but let's pretend she's been there the whole time and she is sooooooooooo important to Buffy".

Whilst Whedon and co do dress it up a little so it makes sense in story, it doesn't change the fact that it is still a "Cousin Oliver" situation. Season 7 was very kind to Dawn, but ultimately Buffy's life started turning to crap because of Dawn. Season 6 Dawn is the worst version of Dawn.
I agree that season 5 is when the show started to go downhill, though I don't think it is because of Dawn. The first 4 seasons are gold. Season 4 gets off to a bit of a ropey start as they do have to move the show into a new setting, but I'd say once we get to Spike getting chipped it's all great from then on (apart from the horny poltergeist episode.)

Season 5 though I think was the weakest at that point. Glory and Dawn are great, and Spuffy is tolerable at that stage, but all the Riley stuff, the depressing storyline with her mother, and the fantasy being sidelined was really poor. For me Season 5 only really picks up near the very end from Forever on. (Forever is much better than the Body, but I'll go into why in another thread so as not hijack this one.)

Also I agree season 6 Dawn is the worst one, but season 6 has the worst versions of every character bar Tara LOL (and I suppose Riley, though he's only there for one episode.)

LemonBanana
LemonBanana
Yh, I agree! Thx so much for your opinion! I loved Glory,and Dawn was bearable in S5 but S6 Dawn was not great! I think S6 was amazing but odd as Warren was so horrible, but not a demon! Also, Spuffy was great,I was loving it until ‘seeing red’! 💕 😊
Top Bottom