1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What do you think initially drew Buffy to Angel?

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by slayer6, Aug 24, 2013.

1. slayer6

slayer6 Potential

What do you think it is that initially drew Buffy to Angel?

2. brinkster130

brinkster130 Riley's BFF Staff Member

Sineya
    He's tall, dark and HANDSOME! Who wouldn't be drawn to him?! :p :D

But seriously, he's new, mysterious, not in high school, knows about her slaying secret, is interested in her well being.....lots of things made him intriguing.

Nix: lol hell yes hehe :)
    bespangeled: You stole my answer!
  3. slayer6

slayer6 Potential

I personally think her being so young had something to do with the initial attraction. Let me make it clear that I mean the initial attraction only I don't want anyone to think I'm dissing the whole Bangel thing. A lot of teenage girls are attracted to older men. Also he had that dark and mysterious thing going on which had to have helped. But the main thing in my opinion is the fact that he seemed unattainable at the time and we all want what we can not have right? He would swoop on in give her some cryptic warning about impending doom they would have their usual banter and he would be gone in a flash. he seemed so nonchalant about just showing up when needed then just being gone. I can imagine what it must have been like feeling like he was always there but not being able to grab ahold. Such mysteries seem like they would be attractive to a lot of women.

4. EVIL UU

EVIL UU Scooby

Take your pick.

1. Magic. Buffy and Angel are meant to boink a universe into existence...or something, so you just know that some deep ass love spell hoodoo has to be involved.

2. Buffy's martyr complex. Buffy knows that this thing with Angel will not work, she admits it before she even learns what Angel really is ( Angel? I can just see him in a relationship ) and...this would be the why. I just target the impossible ones with deadly accuracy, right? And then I whine that my relationships suck. Pathetic.

3. Angel is kinda pretty and Buffy likes pretties, despite the pretty not having a heart beat and in fact being a walking, 200 year old cadaver. Eww.

5. iShower4free

iShower4free Scooby

I would say her initial attraction would be to the mysterious and seemingly unattainable. Tall dark and handsome obvious never hurts.

One thing about vamps I have always wondered. I know we are supposed to assume they are just walking dead bodies with no heart beat and what not. The problem is they can bleed, and in order for that to happen they need a heart beat.

6. SlayerPrincess

SlayerPrincess Potential

She was a teenage girl and did you see Angel? Lol

7. KendraTheSlayer

KendraTheSlayer Dats Me Favorite Shirt

I think the initial attraction for both of them was physical and lust. He liked what he saw and she liked what she saw.

8. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    Buffy was tied into the school social order with the incessant vying for position and meat market atmosphere = just look at her introduction via Cordelia and her quick descent into the lower caste. But Angel was tall, handsome, NOT IN SCHOOL, older and was a relief from the class pecking order. And he always had information for her and he always appeared to her when the occasion arose. Stalking, of course, but stalking with a reason that was not about romance.

9. EffyStonem

EffyStonem Guest

Several factors drew Buffy to Angel. First off, he's hot and she was sixteen with all the hormones and emotions that come with that age. So of course there was an initial physical attraction to him, which, let's face it, is the way most relationships start.

Second, he was a mystery. He never gave her much to go on, he was always around when she needed him but they didn't really talk much. He intrigued her; she didn't know the reasons for why he fought, she didn't know who he really was. She was fascinated by him, wanting to know more, wanting to peel back the layers and find out who he was under the cryptic warnings and broody forehead.

Third, she saw a vulnerable side to him. Notice her face in The Harvest when she makes that crack about not having friends and Angel just falls silent. I think in that moment she realised that he was lonely and that was something she could relate to as a Slayer. She knew about isolation and holding people at arms' length and I think she recognised that in Angel and was drawn to it.

10. Kean

Kean Professional Bangel

Sineya
    Angel is gorgeous, there is no doubt about that, and there is certainly no doubt that Buffy noticed that fact, but I don't think it was what drew her to him.

The way he carried himself and what he said to her during their first encounter piqued her interest. Yet another person in Sunnydale knew her secret, a person who seemed to actively participate in the fight and was trying to help her. Sunnydale must have felt little less daunting and confining in those first few days. Though I think I would be amiss to suggest that Angel's flirty, "I didn't say I was yours" line didn't put thoughts in her head.

However, despite all of this it is my personal belief that Buffy and Angel fell in empathy with each other before they fell in love.

For Angel it began on the steps of Hemery High when he saw this carefree girl who was, God bless her, a shallow fool, have her life in the sunshine ripped away from her in 30 seconds. Then to see her clumsily fighting and the slow realisation of what this all means dawning on her, terrifying her and having no one to go to except parents who she can't speak to. It must have been like looking back at his own life, and slamming into those key moments that made him: his trouble at home, Darla turning him, and being cursed.

For Buffy it is the scene in the crypt just before she goes into the Master's lair. I don't think Angel intended to reveal that much about himself but when Buffy realised he didn't have any friends she saw something of herself in him. All we have to do is think back to her speech to Giles in the Library to know how much loneliness and isolation were part of her life, "Prepares me for what? For getting kicked out of school? Losing all my friends? Having to spend all my time fighting for my life and never getting to tell anyone because it might ‘endanger’ them? Go ahead. Prepare me."

Honestly, I think that scene, more than any other, changed Buffy and Angel's whole lives. If they hadn't had that moment of shared pain and connection I don't know if they would have become as close as soon as they did. Because just seeing or meeting each other wasn't enough. You take that scene out of the two part opener and the scenes they share don't really add up to anything beyond snark and suspicion. Angel was sent to Sunnydale to help Buffy fight, not to fall in love. The same goes for Buffy. They very easily could have continued on that way, with them throwing barbs and witticisms but never truly trusting each other enough to be real with each other. I think that scene, more than anything, allowed Buffy and Angel to not feel alone in the world for the first time in a very long time. It's pivotal as far as I am concerned.

11. Joan the Vampire Slayer

Joan the Vampire Slayer Carpe Spuffy!

I think what initially drew Buffy to Angel was his mysteriousness. She didn't know what to make of him or what his agenda was. He intrigued her. Also, I'm sure she thought he was really attractive. They had an instant chemistry.

12. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

To begin with, the most obvious thing: Buffy was a teenaged girl, alone in a strange town, just beginning to find her way and make new friends. She meets this tall, darkly handsome guy with a velvet sport coat and absolutely no sun tan whatsoever (I've always wondered why, in Sunny California, given her particular calling, she would have overlooked something like that). As she gets to know him (he's not stalking her, he just happens to shoe up everywhere she goes at night) she finds out about his tortured past and his struggle to redeem himself, to in some way atone for the vile things that he did in his aforementioned tortured past. He's obviously an older guy, around 25. What 16 year old girl wouldn't just melt like chocolate om a hot day if someone like that showed interest in her? Harlequin Romances has literally made billions of dollars recycling that identical theme.

But mainly, she hadn't met Spike yet.

Puppet likes this.
  13. slayer6

slayer6 Potential

Yep if she had met him whole different story I bet.

14. Robb Stark

Robb Stark King in the North

Sineya
    The notion that Buffy was in anyway being "stalked" by Angel is more than a little ridiculous.

BuffyBot22 likes this.
  15. Mortricia

Mortricia Rogue Demon Hunter

All of this, especially the part about him constantly being all up in her business. She could relate to him so well, right? Or maybe it was just the forehead.

16. slayer6

slayer6 Potential

I agree. He may have come and gone when it was convenient but there is no evidence that I remember to support him stalking her. All he did was help her.

17. bentjazz

bentjazz Townie

I never liked Angel. I've always thought the Buffy/Angel dynamic was forced, and lacked fluidity. Maybe it's just because I think David Boreanaz sucks. Be that as it may, I'm a much bigger fan of the Buffy/Spike arc. Angel could go up in flames, and I'd sleep sound. Spike, on the other hand.....

18. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

If this is a comment on my post, note that I said, " As she gets to know him (he's not stalking her, he just happens to show up everywhere she goes at night) ..." there was supposed to be a "but" between "her" and "he" that got somehow left out. I'll be more careful showing my "but" in the future.

Robb Stark: No, no, it isn't. I've seen people say it though.
  19. Black Eye Guy

Black Eye Guy Taking over the World!

Black Thorn
    Absolutely, he's not helping her cuz he's obsessed with her, he obsessed with helping her. He may always show up at a convenient time, but those times are also when she needs help, or patrolling, not constantly showing up at her house and everywhere she goes. And past their first interaction those meetings dont seem unwanted by her which is one of the main components in stalking.

Also at least he wasn't doing something gross like stealing her clothes.

dcai0830 and crazysoulless like this.
  20. Joan the Vampire Slayer

Joan the Vampire Slayer Carpe Spuffy!

I think that some fans see Angel as having stalked Buffy because of the scene where we see him spying through her window at her, before she comes to Sunnydale. Also, it's mentioned later that he would follow her but not show himself to her. While I agree this isn't stalking per say, it definitely has a voyeuristic vibe to it, which carries its own creep factor.

Puppet likes this.