• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

What games are you playing #2

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Totally hooked on this phone app game that I got yesterday, called WordZee, which is like a mix of Scrabble and Yatzhy. Learning I'm way better at English grammar than I thought :)

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Part one had an expansion called Undead Nightmare. Heard there may be one out this Halloween, but heard that rumor last year too.

BrendanT

OUTLAW
@Buffy Summers It's an open-world action-adventure game set in 1899 where the era is instantly changing, and the wild west is fading. You play an outlaw Arthur Morgan a key part of the Van der Linde Gang, and it's the prequel from red dead redemption one.

I would highly recommend it. :)

BrendanT

OUTLAW
The games I played so far in 2020.

Kingdom of Hearts 3.

I liked the game and characters. Maybe, the story was a bit confusing because I haven't played on the previous games and the light and dark theme was, a little safe for my liking. Also, I didn't enjoy the structure and pace of the game every 2mins it was a cutscene which can be very annoying. The gameplay mechanic were the highlights in this game I love the variety of weapons with different move sets that were exciting.

So I give this game ★★/5

Control.

I enjoyed the story and the characters, especially the main character "Jesse". The combat was a great addition to the level design and attractions to the buildings around her. I liked how the environments and telekinesis were her source of power which made a unique design of the gameplay. The only issue I had with this game was the upgrades were uninspiring I would have expanded the upgrades more imaginatively and more destructive and powerful. The graphics and the technical side to this game were impressive, and I did absolute see the quality of this game design, my negative was that within my preferences I founded that the inside of the building was feeling old and catastrophic straight away.

So I give this game ★★★/5

Plague Tale: Innocence

The game is, set in medieval France during the Hundred Year War. I adore the characters and period of history very dark, during the beginning of the worst outbreak known today as the Black Death. The interaction with these characters around the horrifying events of the Black Death was very thrilling to watch and play. The dark compositions and artistic value of this game were admirable. The simplistic and yet effective gameplay was a blast to play, it had a great simplicity towards the gameplay mechanics which made the game very distinctive. I enjoyed this concept.

So I give this game ★★★★/5

What's yours? :)

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Games played so far in 2020:

Fallout 4: Game of the Year Edition
Finally finished this game a while ago, a game I spent five years playing on and off and never ever completing. I'm so torn over this game because it has as many good points as points that aren't necessarily bad, but nonetheless frustrating points that irked me.

For starters, it's a bad RPG, as everyone who have played Fallout 4 should know by now. The "choices" the game offers its players just don't hold that kind of emotional impact where the NPCs and characters in the game address your decisions in a dramatic way. Sigh. How should I explain this in a simple way... Think Mass Effect 3. Your decisions to kill off certain characters, the impact feels very real. Your crewmates address this, and they don't just address it in a passing comment and then forget about it. There's like an entire dialogue discussing how you've dealt with the war so far, be it in a benevolent way that might risk losing the war, or a ruthless way that sacrifices the few to save the majority. There's just this... atmosphere, the way your decisions feel long-term, that differentiates it from a game like Fallout 4, where your decisions might as well be just another insignificant side quest that earns you XP. After finishing the main quest, the post-end game content feels... superficial, like there wasn't much difference from before. Aside from missing characters that you killed off, you are neither a worse or better person in the eyes of the people you interact with. You're just you, the same you that people saw prior to your decisions.

And the dialogue, god, it's so plain and generic. Where's the style in the writing? The biting wit that existed in Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas' protagonists? The "I can't believe he just said that" attitude that made NPC interaction so much fun? Instead, most of Fallout 4's dialogue are generic "Yes/No/I'll do it later" lines that might as well have come from an NPC.

On the other hand, it's a decent open world game full of exploration. If you like to kill time exploring a world and checking off boxes collecting bobbleheads, magazines and other collectibles, it's a pretty decent time-killer. The world might be kinda boring since it lacks the unique satirical style of the first two Fallout or even the bleak depressing world that was Fallout 3... but hey, collectibles! Go nuts. The player-created mods are cool. There are lots of different unique weapons created by fans that you could try out. There's even a Doom 2016 armor in the making right now for Fallout 4.

And in its defense, I guess the main plot of the game is pretty good, dealing with issues of persecution and existentialism. Paladin Danse had a Buzz Lightyear/Riley Finn moment where he questioned the meaning of his role in the Brotherhood, a cliche that's pretty generic by 2015. I mean, Captain America: The Winter Soldier came out a year before this game so... get some new material, Bethesda? In fact, a lot of the "main plot," while decently written, feels like a mishmash of other sci-fi stories like Terminator, Detroit: Become Human, I, Robot and Blade Runner. They're thought-provoking storylines, but they don't feel groundbreaking or anything new. In case you couldn't tell, I'm bored just talking about this game, so let's wrap it up.

Overall, it's not a terrible game, just a pretty mundane one that didn't set any new standards for storytelling in video games. It's a decent action game to waste time on, but I'd rather you play much better action games like Doom 2016 or something. And by the end of Fallout 4, I truly felt like I wasted my time playing something so pointless that doesn't enrich my life the way better RPGs like Dragon Age: Origins and even the Mass Effect trilogy have. Like I said, most of the game feels like I was just ticking off checkboxes as I collected collectibles and clearing out maps of countless generic enemies. That's the routine: enter a building/area, clear out enemies, pick up quests, rinse and repeat. It just kinda left me dead inside after 50 hours.

And the thing is, I did enjoy the earlier Fallout games, even Fallout 3. Fallout: New Vegas was one of my favorite RPGs of all time due to the journeys I had traveling with interesting companions and learning their backstories while fighting together and making impactful decisions that resulted in an epic ending that reflected my choices meaningfully (whew, that's a mouthful). It was an epic adventure that felt exciting, unlike this soul-sucking sequel with a boring protagonist whose dialogue sucks. I don't care about Shaun, I don't care about your generic vendetta of chasing after some kid; it's cliched. Let me tell the story MY way like a good RPG should.

★★ ½

Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp

When I'm outside, or in between watching my shows, I'd kill some time and switch it up a little by playing Animal Crossing on my phone... because I don't own a Switch. Sigh. I can't tell you how many times I saw AC fans making fun of those playing Pocket Camp, calling it a lesser version of the main game that lacks its soul and appeal. I get that, but I can't help change that because I can't afford a Switch. It's at least $500-600 in Singapore, yet to have its price drop at all.

But you know, it's not a terrible game either. Much like Fallout 4 (or better even), it's a good time-killer with very cute anthropomorphic characters. Much like the main AC game, you collect fruits, fish, grow flowers, mine minerals, build furniture, design your camp site, etc. And the game keeps you engaged with events all year round, so there's never a lack of content. And the best part is, unlike most mobile games, it isn't pay-to-win, as most of your success could easily be attained via good old-fashioned hard work. I only paid for the Animal Helper subscription (around four bucks per month) because it allows me to pick one of the adorable animal villagers as helper, which is super convenient because the helper will help collect resources when you're away. Plus, it gives you 60 leaf tickets you could save up every month. I picked Merry first, because she's a super cute cat, and I love cats. 😋 But after maxing out her friendship, I now have Peanut as my helper. She's some sort of... pink squirrel, I think. I like cute helpers.

One of the best parts of the game is probably the Happy Homeroom, which requires you to build certain furniture for some interior design contest where you earn coins and rank up. And the furniture aren't easily acquired because certain furniture can only be attained via requests from other villagers, and in order for them to make said requests, you need to boost your friendship with them first. I'm kinda stuck right now, however, because my current furniture requires flower-exchange, and to grow those specific flowers takes lots of time and experimentation, so I'll be stuck for quite a while. But hey, like I said, endless content. :)

Overall, a good game to take your mind off the mundanities of everyday life.

★★ ½

Pokemon Trading Card Game Online

Ugh, this game. Another game I have a love/hate relationship for. I'm not ambitious enough to build my own deck with my own cards, especially when many players probably bought better cards online or something as opposed to using the free cards they earn via in-game booster packs. So instead, I mostly stick to the "Theme Deck" section of the game with pre-built decks. That way, everyone has a fair chance of winning, especially if you're using the same theme deck.

It gets pretty boring after your tenth match, but it's another way for me to distract myself. The momentary adrenaline that comes from winning a match is pleasing enough to keep me playing, just like gambling (without the dangerous consequence of losing money). I can't really comment on the gameplay outside of the Theme Deck section, but I have bought a few cards myself in the past, and while it's kinda more fun than playing Theme Decks, the meta-game of Pokemon TCG constantly changing means that you'll constantly have to update your decks or even buy new cards, something I just don't have the motivation or finance for.

★★ ½

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Chinese Parents

Played some "Chinese Parents" after watching the gameplay on a "Call Me Kevin" video. As a Chinese myself, most of the portrayal of Chinese family lifestyle and parental expectations speaks true to me (probably more than Chinese Americans since a few of them claimed they aren't Chinese enough to relate to this game). Fortunately, Singaporean Chinese don't nearly suffer the kind of stringency that kids living in China (or worse, South Korea) have to go through. I mean, corporal punishment was still around in my time (our parents use a thin rattan cane that's so painful I'd much rather getting smacked with a hand), but our parents still took care of our physical and mental health without the kind of negligence other Asian parents might have displayed.

Anyway, it's largely a puzzle/management/RPG hybrid where you have to play Candy Crush-esque puzzles to increase your stats in order to learn new skills to please your parents, all so that they could boast to their neighbors just how smart their children are, as if we're some kind of trophy to flaunt around. I wish I'm exaggerating, but Asian parents can sometimes objectify kids that way, placing more importance on how their children make them look than their children's feelings. Growing up on American media, I've always had a rebellious spirit to this old-fashioned parenting. I've always envied kids whose worst punishments is getting "grounded." lol I know some American kids still get smacked around, but man, those other kids who only get grounded had it easy compared to us who got caned with a wooden vine. But I digress.

Anyway, it's an interesting enough game that brings back memories of childhood, but only because I'm Chinese. As an average game to a non-Chinese player, it's alright, I guess. Its only appeal is the Chinese culture it portrays. The gameplay itself is pretty average, and sometimes even frustrating due to the management of the stats. It does have these interesting "random events" that offer a window into your typical Chinese family lifestyle while increasing your stats (or decreasing them if it's a negative event), touching on various relatable circumstances like your childhood bestfriend moving away or your parents refusing to buy you a toy some other kid has. These random events are probably the most interesting parts of the game and can be amusing in an ironic, self-deprecatory way for a Chinese like me.

★★ ½

Last edited:

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Loved reading your reviews @Oromous :)
Thanks! I usually just offer my thoughts and feelings in my reviews rather than going into any insightful analysis to be honest. lol But I'm glad you like them. :)

XBOX series X price and the S also... I have to admit these are excellent prices I was assuming the series x to be a lot higher.
When I saw the $299 price for XBox S, I almost, almost let myself be pleased with the news... but then I realized that the price would probably be $500-$600 range in Singapore dollars (including the extra fee store-owners charge for shipping from America). So yeah, almost the same price as a Switch around here, which I also couldn't afford. lol

BrendanT

OUTLAW
Nier Automata.

I love that it is fresh and unique. I adore the chemistry and connection between 2B and 9S as characters. I love the contrast of black and white its very picturesque and the gameplay is stimulating and exciting. The story was great as well, loved Pascal he, was such a loving character and, his ending was heartbroken. The soundtrack was a distinctive highlight for me. The only negative is that sometimes the graphic can feel outdated and unappealing. But, It's not a big deal because I love the journey these characters went on, especially considering the story behind the pods.

★★★/5

Ori And The Will Of The Wisps.

This game was phenomenal the gameplay improved so much from its predecessor "Blind Forest". WOTW gameplay mechanic is so, fluid and so smooth it makes stimulating gameplay. It has a fast pace motion which I adore it makes it so exciting to travel the world map of "Niwen". The combat tremendously improved, the combat in "Blind Forest" was non-existent only button-mashing using "Sein". I loved the experimental and arsenal you have for this game, the different weaponry to play around with is very refreshing and makes the gameplay more fulfilling. I loved collecting the shards to enhance. The art is very impressive and very vibrant full of life and characters to combine with quests to complete. One quest that stands out to me was the journey of rebuilding the Wellspring glades. The story is dark and deep and emotional. The boss fights were very challenging and well thought out adrenaline rush especially the 'SHRIEK' boss fight.

A couple of screencaps.

Night-Man-In-Red-Oriandthe-Willofthe-Wisps-20200502-16-25-01.png

Night-Man-In-Red-Oriandthe-Willofthe-Wisps-20200426-18-29-48.png

Night-Man-In-Red-Oriandthe-Willofthe-Wisps-20200416-17-37-47.png

Night-Man-In-Red-Oriandthe-Willofthe-Wisps-20200419-16-30-43.png

★★★★★/5 (MY GOTY!)

Last edited:

BrendanT

OUTLAW
Yesterday I finally completed Red Dead Redemption 2 100% achievements unlocked! This game was such a great experience and a delight to play, in a world that was huge and rich to explore and engage with such renowned characters and story such a great fandom.

100.png

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
I played a round of Klondike Solitaire on my Windows 10.

Yeah... I'm bored.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I downloaded the new Hogwarts: Puzzles and Spells game, pretty simple match 3 type of game.

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Serious Sam 4 is now released on Steam.

I loved the first game as it was an essential part of my childhood. Didn't care much for SS2, but it seems like they're trying to go back to the roots beginning from SS3.

But SS is a tough franchise to love because it can be quite niched, a product of the '90s like Doom where you just shoot hundreds of monsters senselessly without any interesting overarching plot (or the sheer epic scale of killing demons in Hell), and even the main character is kinda shallow, even when compared to the Doom Guy.

So I don't know. I've moved on from SS for a while now, or video games in general. Will have to see if I'm in the mood. It can be loads of fun, don't get me wrong, shooting monsters in intense battles using gigantic guns that are so well-designed and unique (dating back to the days of Unreal Tournament). But you need to be in the right mood for it.

Kratos

Scooby
Cooking Guide: Can’t Decide What To Eat? for the Nintendo DS.

It’s a useful tool, especially nowadays since people have gotten back into cooking during lockdown.

BrendanT

OUTLAW
Spiritfarer.

This game was very captivatingly beautiful. You play as "Stella" and, the gameplay is focused on you the player to take care of spirits and trying to accomplish, the last requests before entering them to the Everdoor. The gameplay was so addictive and challenging to comprehend out the characteristics of the characters.

The management side of this game was also very addictive. I love the fact that every material and item was significant towards the game design and characters that lived on your boat. What makes this game renowned was the unique definition of the theme and concept of death, the notion illustrated within these characters was so emotional.

The one that moved me the most was the character called "Stanley", he was represented as an 8-year-old boy who was the youngest patient that "Stella" cared for on the boat and in real life. His characteristic was naive and full of life, I adored his personality trait, especially when you figure out that he likes "desserts" and he does the desert dance. Anyway, but his speech when you take him to the Everdoor was heart-wrenchingly painful. He broke me.

I also download the soundtrack for this game which is remarkable.

★★★★/5

Top Bottom