• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What happened to Kate?

AngelsCordy

Townie
What happened to Kate?

I must confess I really like Kate in the beginning - but at the last I was some bit pissed with her. Up to a point you could still understand her behavier...but after a while it would be a bit ridiculous and boring how she behaved towards Angel.

Despite everything, I would like to know - where she was?

I've read somewhere that Kate should actually play the role of Justine ... I'm just glad that it did not come that way. What is your opinion?

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Kate went off canvas when her actress got a better job. She left the LAPD after her suicide attempt. Per comic continuity, she hung around LA and opened an antiquities shop. If she had stayed? Well, it's Angel. She would have moved to the Hyperion just like everyone else.

Cohen

Warrior
Yes Elizabeth Röhm got a job on Law & Order, where she lasted almost 4 seasons—one of the longest AADAs on the show.

I agree with your assessment of Kate’s character decline. I think she held a lot of resentment towards Angel for what happened with her father, but that resentment lasted too long in her arc. I would have liked to see her stay and work against Wolfram & Hart from the law side of things, fighting from within the department. Had Röhm stayed, we might have seen more come from her character. I think losing Lindsey and Kate at the end of season 2 hurt the story in season 3. Gavin was no Lindsey and Lilah, while entertaining during Wesley’s downslide, didn’t hold up as well without her sparring partner at the firm. I would have liked to see Lilah and Kate go head to head from the law aspect. I don’t see Kate full Angel Investigations. More of a Darryl to the team, assisting when needed.

AngelsCordy

Townie
I had liked the idea that Kate would have been an ally. At first I could understand her grudges to a certain point but eventually it was just too much and it was boring and it just got annoying. It was a pity what they made of her because I liked her in the beginning.

Benz

Potential
Yes Elizabeth Röhm got a job on Law & Order, where she lasted almost 4 seasons—one of the longest AADAs on the show.

I agree with your assessment of Kate’s character decline. I think she held a lot of resentment towards Angel for what happened with her father, but that resentment lasted too long in her arc. I would have liked to see her stay and work against Wolfram & Hart from the law side of things, fighting from within the department. Had Röhm stayed, we might have seen more come from her character. I think losing Lindsey and Kate at the end of season 2 hurt the story in season 3. Gavin was no Lindsey and Lilah, while entertaining during Wesley’s downslide, didn’t hold up as well without her sparring partner at the firm. I would have liked to see Lilah and Kate go head to head from the law aspect. I don’t see Kate full Angel Investigations. More of a Darryl to the team, assisting when needed.
Who’s Darryl?.

Cohen
Cohen
From Charmed. Meant to add that.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I vaguely recall reading or hearing that the fandom erupted in rage when her character was first introduced. They thought she would "replace Buffy." Once it became clear Kate was going to always be at least somewhat antagonistic to him then the fandom calmed down.

I do vaguely recall hearing or reading (or maybe hearing a rumor) that she was supposed to be in the later arc instead of Justine but the actress had other opportunities to pursue so the writers created Justine to replace Kate for that arc. I'd have personally been fine with Kate in that arc myself, and could see a real connection between Kate and Holtz, once Kate lost everything and blamed the entire world of the supernatural, especially vampires.

white avenger

white avenger
I had liked the idea that Kate would have been an ally.
For what it's worth, Kate did return as a demon fighter in the IDW comic series of "Angel." with longer hair and a Black Widow style outfit, and joined Angel's team. Neither she nor any other of Angel's new team, including Connor, were carried over or even mentioned after Dark Horse picked up the title.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I would like to say that hooking Kate up with Holtz would have made her irredeemable with the fans, but then again, that didn't save us from Connor. Seriously, what was with that season?

Btvs fan

Scooby
She and DB had good chemistry so I think them hooking up would've worked.

For the rumoured Justine storyline, that just doesn't work after Epiphany.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I find Kate backsliding more workable than a great many other concepts in either Buffy or Angel

vampmogs

Townie
I actually think that Kate originally was intended to be a love interest for Angel so fans weren't being paranoid about that. It's pretty obvious in the earlier episodes of Season 1 and I remember a fair bit of media hype about it at the time. I'm not sure why they decided to take her in a different direction (it was possibly fan backlash but that didn't stop them pursuing Buffy/Riley?) but I'm glad they did. I actually have really grown to like Kate over the years and I find her relationship with Angel interesting but I don't think Elisabeth and David had romantic chemistry at all.

Kate became far more interesting to me when she became an antagonist to Angel. I understand that fans felt it went on too long but I thought the Angel/Kate dynamic was far more captivating when they were at each other's throats. I particularly love their scene in "The Shroud of Rahom" when Angel hurls Kate's cross into the wall and grabs her violently. The moment Kate batters Angel off her is brilliant and you can tell she's really shaken by Angel's aggression despite trying not to show it. Elisabeth does a fantastic job in that scene and it gives me goosebumps.

And, honestly, I really can't blame Kate for being angry towards Angel by the end there. I side with her in particular when she learns that he locked the lawyers in with Darla and Dru after Kate trusted him enough to illegally free him from arrest. That cost Kate her job and Angel was really selfish not to think about the consequences of that.

I thought it was a real shame she was written off the series. Their final scene together in "Epiphany" was amazing and one of the best scenes of the entire series. However, it wasn't clear at all from that scene that it would be her final appearance so her sudden disappearance from the show was always a little disappointing. It's a pity she couldn't have stuck around.

katmobile

Scooby
For what it's worth, Kate did return as a demon fighter in the IDW comic series of "Angel." with longer hair and a Black Widow style outfit, and joined Angel's team. Neither she nor any other of Angel's new team, including Connor, were carried over or even mentioned after Dark Horse picked up the title.
Actually Connor appears and has his own mini arc in season nine as does Ilyria.

Top Bottom