• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What if Dr. Gregory had not been killed?

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
It would have been nice to have another teacher on Buffys side, one who believed in her ability. Especially when it came to s3 and she needed assistance with getting back into school.

HelloIAmHawt

The Master's Publicist
Something tells me that Buffy wouldn't have been able to be any more present in Chem than she was anywhere else even if someone supported her--that said, anything to not include a giant virgin-eating bug demon in Buffy would be a check plus in my book.

Evil Seal

Alright, 10 more minutes of chanting.
I loved Dr Gregory and he could have had a nice recurring role as the supportive teacher. But I feel like Buffy would have had to disappoint him a some point because she had the world to save and she couldn't do her biology homework. Or she would have felt like she disappointed him and she would only feel guilty.

I don't think it would have changed much of the story overall though. Plus, Buffy liked high school biology but I don't see her pursuing it in her studies, Slayer or not. And while I certainly see her in a field where helping people and ethics play a big part, I don't think she would have chosen to spend her life in a lab.

One thing always bothered me though : how come he's a doctor? I know that teaching and having a PhD are not mutually exclusive but doctors in France only teach in Universities, not in high school. Is that a US thing or is it just plain weird? (Not criticizing it though, just surprised and not used to it)

One problem that exists (which many don't think of) is that too many degrees makes one "overqualified" for about everything. I knew someone like that, and the only reason she was even able to get a job at McDonald's is because they fired everyone after 6 months anyway. Everyone else felt she'd "get bored" or be too demanding of her pay or some such, while the positions she was trained for simply were not available at the moment. I don't know how this affects becoming a teacher, though at least in California one has to specifically take courses for that no matter what else you have (but don't need to in order to teach at university).

Still, I'm sure Sunnydale High would have no problem hiring him because of the mortality rate. Even Willow got tapped to teach.

In my experience, Gregory probably was doing teaching as second career. Buffy really wasn't keeping track of Faculty and Staff, I doubt he would ever appear again