• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What if Jenny had become a vampire?

Sineya
I'm watching Passion right now and I was just imagining if things had been different. What if instead of Angelus breaking her neck he had turned her into a vampire instead? Then Giles would have been forced to slay her himself. Do you think that would have been a more interesting storyline or do you prefer the original?

I myself prefer how it happened, because it was so heartbreaking and shocking. But I can't help imagining how dark it would have been if she had been a vampire.

PaulParmar1
PaulParmar1
I love this thread!
Never thought of Jenny as a vampire tbh.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I'm watching Passion right now and I was just imagining if things had been different. What if instead of Angelus breaking her neck he had turned her into a vampire instead? Then Giles would have been forced to slay her himself. Do you think that would have been a more interesting storyline or do you prefer the original?

I myself prefer how it happened, because it was so heartbreaking and shocking. But I can't help imagining how dark it would have been if she had been a vampire.
I prefer how it happened because Giles and Jenny was one of my fav couples in the Buffyverse and it would've been so hard to watch her as a Vampire and Giles to slay her.
Also Buffy sorta did that with Angelus too so it could've been a repeat of what already happened.

solitarysapphic
solitarysapphic
Good point!

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
I don't think so. The bad guy rooster was definitely full.

Also, we do get three different bad-Jennies - demon Jenny, Drusilla-Jenny and First Evil Jenny. I think Robia's performance as regular Jenny was the best. Her First Evil-Jenny was a little stiff.

However, it could be funny if vampire-Jenny gave Angel his soul back, just for the giggles. But the main arc of season 2 is pretty much perfect as it is, IMO, so I would not want to mess with it.

solitarysapphic
solitarysapphic
Regular Jenny will always be the best Jenny yes. Vampire Jenny giving Angel his soul back and then terrorizing him would have been interesting though!
A vampire Jenny would have been interesting. Giles would have followed the roses to the bedroom and been attacked by Jenny, he's have staked her, then been left with a pile of dust. The fight would have been tense, but once you're left with a pile of dust, it reduces the emotional impact. Seeing Giles' face as he looks at her lifeless body, posed on the bed, really does pack an emotional punch.

solitarysapphic
solitarysapphic
Yeah that would have been very interesting to see, but not as emotional I agree!
The horrific scene to me would've been Angelus turning Joyce as well as his telling Joyce "Now you can be the perfect mother."

Joyce replies, "I don't want to be the perfect mother. I want to be the perfect killer."

Angelus: "Even better, but take it from someone who killed his entire family the moment I became a vampire...killing family is a moment to be savored."

I suppose after Buffy could've lived in a motel the same way Faith did, given how the Buffyverse (and Watchers) work. :p

As for Jenny...that was perfect, and it was truly a demonic work of art.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
To take a Wesley quote from Not Fade Away:
"The first lesson a watcher learns is to desperate truth from illusion."
Giles may have been fooled in Becoming, but he was hypnotized, so that doesn't count.
A vampire Jenny would have actually made it easier for Giles. Upon finding her and seeing her demonic face, he would have been able to unleash his anger and revenge by killing her, having no problem staking her because he understands how she is not the woman he knew. After staking her, he would have been able to grieve and not feel a need to go after Angelus. When Giles attacked Angelus, it was supposed to be his closure. He tells Buffy it was his fight. But if Jenny was his fight instead, he would have been able to think rationally afterwards.

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
I prefer how it happened. I think Angelus snapping her neck made it clear this was just a sport for him. It was never about the food, he just wanted to hit the Scoobies where it hurt.

I do appreciate though that turning her would have been traumatic for Giles, but not as much as seeing her dead in his apartment. That was truly evil.

I think it would have been it bit of a repetition of the Holtz story. Of course, we only learned about that story after Jenny, but in the chronology of the Buffyverse it had happened before.

Giles would have had to stake Jenny, just like Holtz had to stake his daughter. Been there, done that. And Jennys existence of a vampire would have been rather short, for she would never have gotten a pass, like Harmony or Spike got more than often. Giles would have made absolutely sure, she got staked.

Instead we got this bautiful, horrifying, heartbreaking moment, when Giles finds Jenny dead body. I don`t think a vampire Jenny could have beaten that.

flow

I think it would have been it bit of a repetition of the Holtz story. Of course, we only learned about that story after Jenny, but in the chronology of the Buffyverse it had happened before.

Giles would have had to stake Jenny, just like Holtz had to stake his daughter. Been there, done that. And Jennys existence of a vampire would have been rather short, for she would never have gotten a pass, like Harmony or Spike got more than often. Giles would have made absolutely sure, she got staked.

Instead we got this bautiful, horrifying, heartbreaking moment, when Giles finds Jenny dead body. I don`t think a vampire Jenny could have beaten that.

flow
Also by the end of that season we see Buffy having to kill Angel, and the impact of that might have been reduced if we'd already seen a devestated and broken Giles having to stake his beloved Jenny.

Zenseem

Evil, skanky and kinda gay
Black Thorn
Since we already had someone losing their loved one to a demon with Angelus, it wouldn't have much shock value. So, in a viewer's point of view it wouldn't be really entertaining, you know? But story-wise it would be interesting to see considering we're talking about Giles' partner and his calm nature, it'd be interesting seeing him breaking down and being reckless just like his younger self.

Does that make sense?

I prefer how it happened. I think Angelus snapping her neck made it clear this was just a sport for him. It was never about the food, he just wanted to hit the Scoobies where it hurt.

I do appreciate though that turning her would have been traumatic for Giles, but not as much as seeing her dead in his apartment. That was truly evil.
I agree completely. Angelus is all about artfully shaping others' despair and terror. He doesn't want to kill Buffy, not yet. He wants to make her watch as he kills everyone around her. He never really goes after her, except symbolically -- the roses, the sketches.

And Jenny -- the way he arranged her death made the most emotional impact possible -- the setup (rose petals, champagne), and then the big reveal. It's perfection... demonic and sadistic perfection, but still perfection. And the way he killed her without feeding on her just shows how little he cares about these people. They're not even worth feeding on. It's scary, scarier than if he fed and dumped, like other vampires. He wants to play.

zoe

Townie
I think it could have worked, ´cause Giles would have staked her, he would be in pain and therefore Buffy would also suffer for him, and feel guilty about it, and Angelous could rejoice about it. However i prefered what happen on the show.

white avenger

white avenger
What if instead of Angelus breaking her neck he had turned (Jenny) into a vampire instead?
Angelus has never been portrayed as the kind of vampire who has any real desire to sire anyone. Other than Dru, as far as we ever saw, he never did anything with his victims except torture, intimidate, and rape. That, to me, was what made him more despicable than almost any other vampire on the show. Vampires kill, certainly, but it could be argued that they do it the way that a predator kills its prey. It's a matter of survival. Vampires turn some of their victims, but that is only their way of reproducing. Those are natural vampire traits, and what makes them dangerous, and a threat to mankind. In and of itself, it's even understandable. It could even be argued that they are not as much evil as that they present a clear and immediate threat to mankind, the same way that a lion does to a herd of antelopes.

Angelus loved torture and intimidation. Probably the thing that he considered his greatest achievement (and the thing that Angel regretted most) was torturing Dru and driving her insane. Turning her was probably just his way of being able to keep her like a hunter keeps the head of his most prized kill mounted on his wall, so that he could savor that victory, over and over. I don't think that he would have been able, at least in the limited time available to him, to make jenny into a proper trophy. Plus, by not even feeding off of her before he killed her, he illustrated clearly that he was doing it simply for the pleasure of killing.

Whedon should've used Jenny as the "make someone a regular then kill them off" character. Her death happened in the middle of the season and was the first "big" death on the show. It would've been totally unexpected.

HelloIAmHawt

The Master's Publicist
I agree with most here that the way it's done is far too perfect to change--the way they filmed her death, a silhouette against the darkened night shining through a half moon window followed by that heart-wrenching setup at Giles' house? Too perfect, too tragic. But! I think Robia LaMorte would have done an excellent job as a vampire--her best acting moments (IMO) were in Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered and Amends (in particular the way she uses her body), so I can imagine her being a compelling hyper-sexual vamp type. Also, do we have any confirmation re:witchcraft in vampires (Dru seems to have some pre-cog abilities)? Because if she could techno-pagan as a witch she'd be a great addition to the S2 Angelus team.

Professor Walsh

Feminist slayerette
Black Thorn
Whedon should've used Jenny as the "make someone a regular then kill them off" character. Her death happened in the middle of the season and was the first "big" death on the show. It would've been totally unexpected.
I believe the show's budget didn't allow such escapades back then.

Aqua

Townie
It's an interesting idea but I think they refrain from turning regular/returning characters into vampires usually. The ones who were turned into vampires were people we didn't really know that well eg. Harmony, Jesse..

Gypsy Magic is ... Never really explained very well. Vampires have no mana, and cannot use either White or Light magic. Any magic used would have to originate with the Old Ones. Unalligned spirits, like ones who just want the offering, should be willing to work with them.

Top Bottom