• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What is Illyria's true gender?

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
I would have to side with genderless because I don't see Illyria as a person or a human. She is a definite ''it', god figure.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
You sometimes see one of the words for "God" being written as Elohim. "Elo" is a male god, "-him" is a feminine plural ending. The true nature of an overall god must include both genders. I see Illyria like this with female form but not necessarily female thought patterns (other than her liking for Wesley).

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
You sometimes see one of the words for "God" being written as Elohim. "Elo" is a male god, "-him" is a feminine plural ending. The true nature of an overall god must include both genders. I see Illyria like this with female form but not necessarily female thought patterns (other than her liking for Wesley).
Its more the word "King" that was gendered. "God-King" - whereas she recently referred to herself as "Goddess"

Altoz

Potential
Illyria is a nonhuman demon and may not be conventionally gendered. We've only seen them in Fred's body, although if things had gone a little differently, Illyria might have occupied Gunn or Wes' body instead and have bcome a 'he' for the ease of reference. Technically however, they are an 'it'.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
To be fair, in the Comics, Whistlers's parents were pureblood demons, and did have sexes and/or genders. Let us never speak again of what the comics did to Whistler.

white avenger

white avenger
We've only seen them in Fred's body, although if things had gone a little differently, Illyria might have occupied Gunn or Wes' body instead and have bcome a 'he' for the ease of reference.
The first time that Illyria appeared in Fred's form, when Fred's parents came to visit unexpectedly, she told Wes that she could appear "however she pleased." That might be construed to mean that Illyria could appear as a man, woman, or even any demon or animal, depending on the necessity, though obviously, we never saw any evidence of it either that Season or later in the Dark Horse issues. It would, however, lend credence to the point that, in Illyria's case, gender could be whatever might be convenient at any given time.

TriBel

Scooby
We see Illyria as a tentacled "thing" in A11. I think this is "Blue's" true form. It's a ruler but I can't remember whether the form is gendered by its subjects without getting the comic out. In addition, I can't decide on A11's relationship to reality so it's possible "its" gender is mediated by Angel himself.
I suppose it's like God - Christianity often figures him as male (God the Father) but history's patriarchal - in a matriarchy it's likely God would be female. In an ideal world where power was equal it's likely it would be neither or both or something entirely different and beyond our comprehension.

Priceless

Scooby
Fred refers to Illyria as 'she', but is Fred really Fred or just a projection by Illyria of what Angel wishes Fred to be? It's all too complicated for me.

TriBel
TriBel
Just A11 or is "complicated" a comment on life in general? Sigh...*sad walk*. Then there's that bloody mirror...more sighs...*sad walk off the edge of a cliff...* :-)
Top Bottom