• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What is your favorite BTVS season opener and why?

What is your favorite season opener?

• Total voters

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
Out of curiosity I wanted to see everyone's choice here at this interesting discussion board. Personally, I chose When She Was Bad. I liked the setting and feel of it. I like how the episode deals with Buffy's trauma of The Master killing her for a few - 10ish minutes. I like that there was two counts of unintentional foreshadowing in this episode since it plays into how the ending of the season was boing to be like. I like how we've seen Cibo Matto perform while Buffy does her dance. Cordelia started to be reluctantly pulled into the Scooby Gang world. Cordelia's unsolicited advice to Buffy added more to the Buffelia relationship and to Cordelia's character. Finally, Giles gets a love interest for this season. It was nice that Giles, Angel, Willow, and Xander forgave Buffy since they realized her trauma.

Priceless

Scooby
This is tough. I love three of these episodes, Anne, The Freshman and Lessons, but I voted for Anne, because seeing Buffy so depressed, but fighting her way back, is so well done. I also have a soft spot for Lily/Chantarelle.

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
I voted for Anne, because seeing Buffy so depressed, but fighting her way back, is so well done. I also have a soft spot for Lily/Chantarelle.
THIS! I also voted for Anne. The Bangel scene in the sunlight at the beach is also great & the hug between Joyce & Buffy too. I freaking love the scene "I'm Buffy, the vampire Slayer & you are?" 💕 :D.

My second & third favorites are The Freshman & When She Was Bad.
My least favorite must be Bargaining because of the absence of Buffy.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Bargaining was the best in my view. Buffy getting reconstituted in the grave was one of the great moments and Bargaining Part 2 continues the story in a great story of post-traumatic stress disorder. But the most shocking thing was Willow, sitting in a white outfit by an idyllic stream killing a faun. That kind of shock shows we are no longer dealing with the geeky Willow of old. The biker demons add to the suspense of the story.

BaskingINBangel
BaskingINBangel
I love that scene of Buffy in the grave. I feel a bit weird for liking it, but something about it mesmerizes me. It's just very well done.

BaskingINBangel

I'm a little bit bison
This is tough because a few of these are really good. I think I enjoy watching Anne the most. That whole fight scene is one of the best in the series imo, and I never fail to get a good laugh at Lily pushing Ken off the platform. I also enjoy seeing Buffy start the healing process and regain her sense of purpose.

Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
The best part was, "Want to see my Gandhi impression?"

Mr Trick

Scooby
I went for When She was Bad. I think its underrated. Its a nice link between the end of S1 and the start of S2. Its very iconic too with scenes like that Bronze one, and the Buffy-Cordy scene. Plus I like how its not a supernatural thing effecting Buffy, but that she hasn't yet dealed with the events of PG.

Lessons is even more underrated. Its an original opener and sets up the season very well. Over time it might only go up for me.

Dracula

Townie
Despite my avatar I second Bargaining. The resurrection of Buffy with first glimpses of Willow turning dark was really well done. Just an all around enjoyable 80 minutes ride that never gets boring.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Bargaining, but only if we're just counting the first part. If not, then Lessons. I did vote Bargaining, though :)

FaithLehane16

I went for When She was Bad. I think its underrated. Its a nice link between the end of S1 and the start of S2. Its very iconic too with scenes like that Bronze one, and the Buffy-Cordy scene. Plus I like how its not a supernatural thing effecting Buffy, but that she hasn't yet dealed with the events of PG.

Lessons is even more underrated. Its an original opener and sets up the season very well. Over time it might only go up for me.
Why do you think When She Was Bad was underrated?

The only thing I liked about Lessons was the ending.

with first glimpses of Willow turning dark was really well done.
The first glimpses of us seeing Willow turn dark was in Triangle.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Bargaining- It's the darkest season opener and I think the stakes are higher because Buffy isn't around to save the day.

FaithLehane16

with first glimpses of Willow turning dark was really well done.
@FaithLehane16 Not sure I just always got the impression it never as loved as some season openers. Tend to think episodes like Anne, The Freshman and Bargaining got more love.
I would think that Buffy vs. Dracula and Welcome to the Hellmouth would lack love.

FaithLehane16

Poor Buffy vs. Dracula and Welcome to the Hellmouth not getting any love.

My rank would be:
When She Was Bad
The Freshman
Anne
Welcome to the Hellmouth
Bargaining
Buffy vs. Dracula
Lessons

TriBel

Scooby
I like "Lessons" best because it's a kind of circle back to the beginning with a few slight changes, including "contract-y goodness" for Xander! ;)
Lessons - without a doubt. Not only do we go "right back to the beginning" but we're not told where the beginning is; it's "Not the Bang (so not cosmic? not the primal scene?); "not the Word" (God? Truth? Logos? Reason? History? Speech? Writing? All these things? but "the true beginning" (I suspect this might have something to do with "The Seed" in S8). Whatever the beginning is, it's "about power" and "everything's connected". I love Lessons! It's one of the most intelligent episodes of TV I've ever seen.

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
Thank you for your input.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
The best? "Conviction." The Best, in my mind is Bargaining. It does the dual job of wrapping up the pretty big cliffhanger from season 5, is packed with stuff, and does set up the season. My personal favorite is "Freshman" as I first saw it as a college sophomore, and it totally hit home. All the openers are pretty decent for Buffy, as they are usually special, and get you excited about the season. Except maybe when she was bad. Yeah, that Annointed One, can't wait to see how he turns out. That's only in hindsight, I remember fans at school being very excited.

But really, the Answer is "Conviction." Then "Deep Down," which is the single craziest episode in the Buffyverse.

Top Bottom