• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What Season Would You Rewrite?

IndianaSolo221

Potential
If you had to rewrite any season of Angel or Buffy, which season would you choose, and why? What would you change?

As much as everyone here loves Buffy, I see that fans tend to dislike seasons 4 -7 in comparison to the earlier seasons. Additionally, Angel's run was somewhat rough in general, and is very much a mixed bag. I think if I had to rewrite a season of Buffy or Angel, I would pick the fourth seasons of both.

I haven't read all the comics, so I can't speak for them, but if you had to rewrite one of those seasons, which would you choose, and why? What would you change?

Priceless

Scooby
I'd re-write Angel season 4 too. I'd perhaps have Jasmine, but not born from Cordy or Connor. As a Cangel shipper, this would be the season I'd bring Angel and Cordy together.

As for the comics, I'd re-write season 12. Buffy and Spike would not split up, or if they did, they'd be back together by the end. I'd also have Andrew turn out to be the big bad, maybe by accident or stupidity, but he'd upset the timelines in someway and they'd have to leave him in Fray's time.

TriBel
TriBel
Mmm...I think he is a big bad...he just doesn't know it. Ditto Giles and Xander.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Angel S3, which is my least favorite of all 12 seasons of both shows; I'd get rid of both triangle couple dramas, put way more focus on Holtz and his loyal followers and way less on Daddy Angel with Baby Connor, and spend more time making teen Connor sympathetic while still ending the season with him throwing Angel in the ocean. And if I decided to keep the Cangel stuff (sans Groo, of course) I'd make it far less cheesy and badly written, like that ridiculous mirror vision in the finale o_O

My second choice is, of course, Buffy S4 and my change is simple - keep Maggie and have her be the Big Bad like what was originally planned.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I think Season 4 of Buffy would benefit the most. Veruca's Story, while I don't expect much out of it, probably deserved better than what we got, and a self destructive werewolf would have fit in Freshman year. I also think anyone who saw the system purge in "Cabin In The Woods" knows Season 4 needed more money. And of course, it would have been nice to certain actors reappear in "The Cheese man Cometh." Also, a lot more college stuff.

Every season of Angel is a disorganized mess, so any season could benefit from a do-over.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Season 6, I would keep the Willow and magic storyline, but get rid of the Trio and instead bring forward some elements of season 7, maybe have Giles leave because of Watchers and/or potentials being killed. Have Dawn be friends with Amanda, and that friendship continue throughout season 7 as we find out about Amanda being a potential.

Moggin
Moggin
I actually really like the Trio, but I love your idea of introducing Amanda earlier.

Faded90

Scooby
Season 7

Less Spike, take away the trigger storyline and The First holding him hostage for no reason. Neither storylines had any pay off and never really get explained, the trigger is a chain around Buffy and Spike’s necks as characters

No Empty Places

More focus on Buffy’s trauma re the AR.yes I understand the soul/no soul thing but to make your main character nearly getting raped into her attackers redemption story is just gross. No making Buffy obliged to take care of Spike and responsible for his well-being either

Make the show like the early S7 episodes which promised arcs for each character (and didn’t deliver on most of them)some individual character episodes and more MOTW. Focus on the scoobies as a unit and repairing their relationships, the continuous ‘scoobies drifting apart’ storyline has been done far too much and it’s tired at this point

Robin leaves after LMPTM

Faith to come back earlier and have an ‘all female’ episode of Buffy, Faith, Willow, Anya and Dawn off doing their own mission. Besides Faith and Anya pretty much all of these characters have complex relationships with each other and I could imagine this episode would be a perfect blend of humour/heart to hearts and just pure awesomeness

Moggin

Tasty Townie
Working backwards...and potentially full of spoilers for the uninitiated.

Buffy, Season 7:
Introduce Wood as a good guy early. I don't think we profited by keeping his allegiances a mystery.

I think someone else on here mentioned tightening the lineup of potentials and expanding on their stories so we actually care about them. I agree.

Get Spike out of the basement of the school earlier. So many episodes were spent wondering about Spike. I feel the chip, trigger, and insanity plot could have overlapped in some places, been advanced sooner, and have allowed him to become an asset to Buffy earlier. Plus this could have allowed for some of the more interesting aspects of their relationship to be developed, instead of being crammed into a couple of episodes at the end.

Rework some of the threatening scenes to actually be threatening. Some of the conflict lacked so much strategy it was hard to believe there was a threat at all.

Buffy, Season 6:
(Sorry, folks. I loved Season 6, and it's one of my favorites. Wouldn't change a thing).

Buffy, Season 5:
(I also love season 5, but for the sake of saving Season 4, I'd gift the detoxing Riley to that season, and instead hammer on his insecurities alone.)

Buffy, Season 4:
I wish the mad scientist and the monster plot could have been continued to the end with Maggie Walsh. I realize this was the original intent, but the actress became unavailable partway through the season. It would have been better.

Plus, detoxing Riley should have been in this season, so we get a clean slate to focus solely on his relationship with Buffy in season 5.

I also absolutely hated the cutesie plots with demon roommates, magical booze, and vampiric queen B's. I realize these were the early staple of the show, but they aren't the plots that stick out to me, and their themes are too much on the nose for my taste.

I did like the garbage boyfriend, Parker in this season, Harmony's reintroduction, and the development with Riley. I'd replace the garbage themes with those characters.

Season 3:
Gotta love me some Faith, and that whacky Mayor. I really love this season as well. I probably wouldn't have involved everyone in the school for the final battle, though, however symbolic.

I also hated the LA plot in "Anne". I probably would have used her time away from Sunnydale differently. She could have found herself in other ways, maybe even met up with Dru and Spike again. As you'll see later, though, I dislike alternate dimensions as a rule, though. I also hate everyone's behavior on her return. That could have been reworked.

Season 2:
I hate the Acathla and the Judge storylines, and think Spike, Dru, and Angelus could have had some better threat looming over Buffy, like a personal one, maybe her friends and family being targeted. That could have been expanded a bit more.

They did this briefly with Joyce and Angelus, but I feel it should have gone on longer. This whole season could have been like really good horror viewing just from this threat alone. Not only would it have been more menacing, but it would have made more sense. Angelus likes comfort. Why the hell would he destroy the world? I do like Spike's alliance with Buffy, though, but he's got enough of a reason to double cross Angelus without the whole world being in peril. Really, Buffy's whole world is the only one that needs to be in peril.

Use Kendra and Dru more, not necessarily together, just more of both of them.

Get rid of Whistler. I know, like Prof. Walsh, there were plans that got foiled, but in the end, it didn't work out. Angel doesn't need a guide. He could have found Buffy on his own and figured everything out from the shadows.

Season 1:
Borrow some of the Darla backstory from later Angel and gift it to this season.

Also, don't bother with Jesse, as he was both too much and not enough.

Put more Darla in this season, and don't kill her off. Have her just cowardly run away after the Master dies.

Rework the stupid hyena storyline. I get the metaphor, but it was both gross and just about made Xander intolerable. Maybe take the girls out of the mix, and don't add cannibalism to the story.

Introduce Olivia in this season and start building her up so we actually care when she shows up later.

Take out any plotline where students are suddenly geniuses at making magical or superhuman scientific things happen. This goes for all seasons. I'll believe the evil surrounding the Hellmouth can make extraordinary things happen. I'll even buy witchcraft as an explanation, but I draw the line at teens randomly becoming evil geniuses. Later, Warren I get, but he should be the exception, not the rule.

As for Angel the show:
I liked the show best when he was a vampiric Batman. I hate time travel plots and higher powers incarnate. Those things are fine for Dr. Who, but I don't think they had a place in the Buffyverse. I also hate Wolfram & Hart as a plot device, purely because I hate the idea of an omnipotent evil potentially controlling everything but doing nothing about it, and I hated the pacts everyone had to make in that storyline.

Also, the alternate dimensions got whacky on this show, whereas I bought them on Buffy. I'd either totally kill the Connor story or keep him young and make it better. I also liked Darla evil, so maybe Connor comes from someplace else. I don't know.

It's not my favorite show, though I do like some characters and episodes. Lorne was great. I'd probably bring about Wesley and Fred sooner. Gunn was a good character with some good plot points, but the lawyer thing kind of ruined him. I also liked Cordelia on this show, but I dislike the level of power she got. They should have stopped with intolerable visions. Being super badass is Buffy's thing, and having massive magic mojo is Willow's. Being burdened with crushing visions, though, works well for a character who used to be a bully.

B
Btvs fan
Would you still move Spike over to Angel though ?

IndianaSolo221

Potential
Working backwards...and potentially full of spoilers for the uninitiated.

Buffy, Season 7:
Introduce Wood as a good guy early. I don't think we profited by keeping his allegiances a mystery.

I think someone else on here mentioned tightening the lineup of potentials and expanding on their stories so we actually care about them. I agree.

Get Spike out of the basement of the school earlier. So many episodes were spent wondering about Spike. I feel the chip, trigger, and insanity plot could have overlapped in some places, been advanced sooner, and have allowed him to become an asset to Buffy earlier. Plus this could have allowed for some of the more interesting aspects of their relationship to be developed, instead of being crammed into a couple of episodes at the end.

Rework some of the threatening scenes to actually be threatening. Some of the conflict lacked so much strategy it was hard to believe there was a threat at all.

Buffy, Season 6:
(Sorry, folks. I loved Season 6, and it's one of my favorites. Wouldn't change a thing).

Buffy, Season 5:
(I also love season 5, but for the sake of saving Season 4, I'd gift the detoxing Riley to that season, and instead hammer on his insecurities alone.)

Buffy, Season 4:
I wish the mad scientist and the monster plot could have been continued to the end with Maggie Walsh. I realize this was the original intent, but the actress became unavailable partway through the season. It would have been better.

Plus, detoxing Riley should have been in this season, so we get a clean slate to focus solely on his relationship with Buffy in season 5.

I also absolutely hated the cutesie plots with demon roommates, magical booze, and vampiric queen B's. I realize these were the early staple of the show, but they aren't the plots that stick out to me, and their themes are too much on the nose for my taste.

I did like the garbage boyfriend, Parker in this season, Harmony's reintroduction, and the development with Riley. I'd replace the garbage themes with those characters.

Season 3:
Gotta love me some Faith, and that whacky Mayor. I really love this season as well. I probably wouldn't have involved everyone in the school for the final battle, though, however symbolic.

I also hated the LA plot in "Anne". I probably would have used her time away from Sunnydale differently. She could have found herself in other ways, maybe even met up with Dru and Spike again. As you'll see later, though, I dislike alternate dimensions as a rule, though. I also hate everyone's behavior on her return. That could have been reworked.

Season 2:
I hate the Acathla and the Judge storylines, and think Spike, Dru, and Angelus could have had some better threat looming over Buffy, like a personal one, maybe her friends and family being targeted. That could have been expanded a bit more.

They did this briefly with Joyce and Angelus, but I feel it should have gone on longer. This whole season could have been like really good horror viewing just from this threat alone. Not only would it have been more menacing, but it would have made more sense. Angelus likes comfort. Why the hell would he destroy the world? I do like Spike's alliance with Buffy, though, but he's got enough of a reason to double cross Angelus without the whole world being in peril. Really, Buffy's whole world is the only one that needs to be in peril.

Use Kendra and Dru more, not necessarily together, just more of both of them.

Get rid of Whistler. I know, like Prof. Walsh, there were plans that got foiled, but in the end, it didn't work out. Angel doesn't need a guide. He could have found Buffy on his own and figured everything out from the shadows.

Season 1:
Borrow some of the Darla backstory from later Angel and gift it to this season.

Also, don't bother with Jesse, as he was both too much and not enough.

Put more Darla in this season, and don't kill her off. Have her just cowardly run away after the Master dies.

Rework the stupid hyena storyline. I get the metaphor, but it was both gross and just about made Xander intolerable. Maybe take the girls out of the mix, and don't add cannibalism to the story.

Introduce Olivia in this season and start building her up so we actually care when she shows up later.

Take out any plotline where students are suddenly geniuses at making magical or superhuman scientific things happen. This goes for all seasons. I'll believe the evil surrounding the Hellmouth can make extraordinary things happen. I'll even buy witchcraft as an explanation, but I draw the line at teens randomly becoming evil geniuses. Later, Warren I get, but he should be the exception, not the rule.

As for Angel the show:
I liked the show best when he was a vampiric Batman. I hate time travel plots and higher powers incarnate. Those things are fine for Dr. Who, but I don't think they had a place in the Buffyverse. I also hate Wolfram & Hart as a plot device, purely because I hate the idea of an omnipotent evil potentially controlling everything but doing nothing about it, and I hated the pacts everyone had to make in that storyline.

Also, the alternate dimensions got whacky on this show, whereas I bought them on Buffy. I'd either totally kill the Connor story or keep him young and make it better. I also liked Darla evil, so maybe Connor comes from someplace else. I don't know.

It's not my favorite show, though I do like some characters and episodes. Lorne was great. I'd probably bring about Wesley and Fred sooner. Gunn was a good character with some good plot points, but the lawyer thing kind of ruined him. I also liked Cordelia on this show, but I dislike the level of power she got. They should have stopped with intolerable visions. Being super badass is Buffy's thing, and having massive magic mojo is Willow's. Being burdened with crushing visions, though, works well for a character who used to be a bully.
I love how detailed this is.

Moggin
Moggin
Thank you for the original post.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I don't have the energy to describe all the radical changes I'd make to season 7 BTVS, so I'll just add one (though I'm aware this worked out well for many others, but for those it didn't, this could be a major improvement of the season all by itself, contrary to the false claim that the only reason anyone could hate season 7 is because they hate Spuffy):

Had Spike actually showed an acknowledgement of guilt to Wood (though he could still threaten him), and returned his mother's jacket to him, I'd have found him and Spuffy so much more sympathetic than it was. It might've even made Spike a much more beloved character (currently, I only love Spike in season 2 with one guest appearance in early Angel).

Not mine, but I also love this season 5 rewrite:

Why didn't the monks just destroy the key?

Last edited:

darkspook

Potential
Would rewrite season 7. For me it ended with a whimper than a bang. It felt very much like the writers were just going through the motions so to speak.

I would try and do more character episodes ala 'The Zeppo and 'Doppelgangland' than plot driven episodes. I would for sure kill off a major character before the year is out. I think I read somewhere that Emma had said no matter what happens that year it would be her last so maybe her or Xander. I would do more monster of the week episodes than arc driven shows. The arc felt very drawn out which in my view made the First evil all talk as all it did was... talk and taunt. Even during the Angelus arc which was a highly emotional time for Buffy they still did a comedy episode like Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered' and monster of the week episodes. I wouldn't have done Spuffy at all but focused more on the core four Willow, Xander, Giles and Buffy.

TriBel

Scooby
Not mine, but I also love this season 5 rewrite:

Why didn't the monks just destroy the key?
Haven't read it but isn't the key energy?

First Law of Thermodynamics: "Energy can be changed from one form to another, but it cannot be created or destroyed. The total amount of energy and matter in the Universe remains constant, merely changing from one form to another. The First Law of Thermodynamics (Conservation) states that energy is always conserved, it cannot be created or destroyed. In essence, energy can be converted from one form into another."

Second Law of Thermodynamics is....Entropy.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
The specific post was an alternative to the thread starter, so it wasn't about destroying it outright. (Just saw it again which reminded me of this.) And if such epic energy can be transformed, I doubt a human form could contain it.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Season 6 and 7, have Willow deal with more serious consequences for her actions.

Moggin

Tasty Townie
@Btvs fan "Would you still move Spike over to Angel though ?"

Hmm...I'm not sure. I like Spike, a lot, and he had some really good scenes with Angel in the last season, but there is much about his arrival on the show that I didn't like.

Ultimately, I like how he came back, but I would have preferred this as a Buffy plot, provided more seasons had been filmed with SMG. While I can see this working long-term on Angel the show, without Buffy the show still being made, there was no where to take this plot. Even Angel leaned on Buffy to perpetuate the show, with frequent crossovers. That well ran dry when SMG stepped out. It's hard to imagine any of it working without the key player involved. Eventually, at the very least, they would have needed a SMG cameo to tie up all the loose ends they created, and that wasn't going to happen. So... maybe "no" is the answer.

What I will say for Spike being on Angel, though, was that it was nice to see him have adventures outside of being beside Buffy. The Buffy show did have a few times where he was separate from her, but it was nice to see more of that.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think season 7, mostly because I want Dawn to get a more active part, let her form real and genuine friends (like I felt the season opener teased that she might), and get rid of the Potentials. Like, I could imagine keeping say Amanda as a Potential and that whole episode, but the whole group was just a bit much for me. Though s15 of Supernatural, currently watching, is doing a bit too much of fan service maybe, at least it feels like they're very focused on the core characters. That is what I lacked in season 7.

I also feel like Dawn and friends could've potentially been some kind of set up for a spin-off, aimed at a young audience (like BTVS from the start) and building on the existing lore. Possibly with Amanda as a new Slayer. Maybe by Buffy being able to share her powers through magic, as in season 7 now, but only with those immediately present. So not every girl all over the place.

I would probably remove the trigger in Spike OR keep it so that he was against the Scoobies in the last fight or close to it (but not till the end!).

I love the idea of Principal Wood's character, but I'm not sure I'd have him be Principal and I'm not too fond of the kill-Spike-torture-chamber set up, even if I understand the revenge desire. It was like they wanted Holtz but also a Buffy ally and didn't really manage to achieve either because of it. So I would probably have him there on the basis of Spike, i.e., being an antagonist from the start, but then coming around to Buffy's perspective as she is the Slayer, like his mom, and joining teams.

I don't know, still needs work, but give Dawn more to do/more independence and friends would be a top priority (from s6 on really); less Potentials if any; change Wood.

Maybe a bit more Faith and Buffy. Oh, and I don't think I would have Buffy and Giles being so distant, or have him conspire to kill Spike behind her back. I think I'd have an intense argument about it, but not that level of secrecy and lies.

Buffy, Season 6:
Oh yeah, even if it means carrying on your conscious the countless kittens lost to Clem in kitty poker? :p

Having broken down and studied each season in detail for my fanfic rewrites (so technically I have rewritten all of Angel already), I think the one that could really do with a proper overhaul is 2. The season arc stuff is great but there are only 7 season arc episodes out of a 22 episode run. And some of the filler episodes are some of the weakest in the show. They needed to develop more to that arc and make it last longer (the beige phase motw episodes do not count as part of the arc). I don't know how the changes would work exactly because those seven episodes are so good and it would be shame to change them and lose any of it, but the season did need reworking so there was more of it. I'd maybe just add in another earlier episode of Darla taunting Angel and then a further episode of him looking for her and trying to help her - pushing the trial back to episode 11. Then reunion and redefinition, keep blood money, swap Happy Anniversary for another proper Wolfram and Hart focused episode, lose the thin dead line altogether and jump straight to reprise and epiphany. Then sadly, Disharmony would have to go because there's no room for it (though Harmony could actually be the B plot in the new Happy Anniversary- she would have left Buffy at this point) and then finish out the season as canon.

Season 3 is fine structurally. I don't care for the episodes once Connor is gone/comes back but I wouldn't necessarily change the main plot points or get rid of the kidnap I'd just want those last few episodes to be less boring. (I fully intended to have Connor kidnapped and taken to quortoth right up until I wrote the kidnap scene - and then it was to painful to do, so I stopped everything and worked out how s4/5 could work without Connor and then had Wes kidnap him successfully - which led to a lovely if tragic Wes/ Connor father/son bond throughout the rest of the series. Joss must be a masochist to make himself write all the pain he writes).

Season 4 is structurally sound - obviously like everyone I would happily get rid of the Connor/ Cordelia stuff but I'd rather possessed Cordelia than evil for no reason Cordelia which appears to have been the first draft.

Season 5 has a terrible structure, but it's one off episodes are great and it works well for the place they find themselves in.

So I'm happy to leave the last three seasons as is more or less.

Season 2 is the one to change for the greatest pay off. It has the most potential and so the parts where it falls flat are more disappointing. And it doesn't require massive changes - just an extension of what we already get.

Though personally and selfishly the one big change for me is always not killing Doyle. So from a personal rather than a story point of view I would start rewriting at the second half of season 1 ... which is where I did start rewriting 😛

I wouldn't change any Buffy in any major way. I would prefer more Dawn and less potentials in s7, and for Anya to be more useful after Selfless, but other than that I'm satisfied with what we got. That's why I don't write Buffy fanfic.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
Interesting

Wesxfred

You know what they say about payback...
Probably season 5 Angel.
I know that they had to wrap things up quickly due to the cancellation but it happened way too quickly at the end and there were too many one-offs that didn't contribute anything to the overall arc of the season.
I also think there were a lot of missed opportunities in that they should've brought back someone like Gwen, Lilah, or Faith to be part of the team because trying to replace Cordelia and Lilah with Harmony and Eve was just bad- those two just don't work for me.
Furthermore, I really hate how they killed off their main female characters, Fred and Cordelia within 4 or 5 episodes, and then they had no interesting female characters left apart from Illyria; was Illyria even female anyway?? I do really like AHITW and You're welcome, but they needed to add someone better than Harmony or Eve to fill Fred and Cordy's massive shoes.
Also, no one made a big deal over Cordelia's death-WHAT?!
Lorne was pushed to the side.
Spike wasn't bothered about Buffy which annoyed me.
Not enough Fresleyyyyyyy!!!!!
Hamilton was just a piece of cardboard to the point where he actually makes Riley Finn look interesting.
And too many people are brooding all the time *cough* Angel and Wesley *cough*

Don't get me wrong- I do really like this season (especially when Gunn is in a suit) it just could have been way more epic if they tweaked a few things.

Top Bottom