• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What was your first job?

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
So, what was your first job? Inquiring minds want to know. :p

I'll start:

My first job was at a donut shop when I was 16. I ate a lot of donuts, and got fired because I occasionally took money from the register. 😅

Your turn!

thrasherpix

Scooby
Giving henna tats at a new age shop when I was 17 (and didn't have bills to pay). I was okay for the small town, only charged $10 which I think was a fair price.

I liked that lady in the new age shop. She had a cynical sense of humor (I strongly suspect she was just in it to make a buck) and laughed at how I freaked out her competitor earlier (possibly why she offered me a job).

When I was moving to Venice Beach, someone told me I could make money that way on the Boardwalk, but I quickly gave up the idea of making a living at it as I saw those already present (at least when I showed up) were way beyond my ability (and charged accordingly), and I doubt most locals there would've even let me give them one for free.

TamsinValencia

Potential
Black Thorn
I was 19 so about a year ago. It was at the second hand video game store.

There was lots of angry customers there.

white avenger

white avenger
I worked with my dad's house moving crew the summer that I was 16. My most vivid memory of that summer was having a house fall on me. (Luckily, I was in a depression, so I wasn't crushed. Makes a great story, though.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
In the months prior to my 16th birthday I left school to become a mechanical engineer. On cars, motorcycles and lorries. Just to add an age to that it was 1971.
When dinosaurs roamed the earth.

AshSlays

WOW, Sarcasm, that's original!
The cursed area of tons of sweet tea (Arkansas)
Black Thorn
Still doing it, if you can count it as a job.

When I was twelve, (I started doing this a week ago, why am I acting like it's so long ago) I got a job for my dad moving boards and stuff around for him after homework. Says he won't pay me until I take it as a full-ish time thing in the summer though... cheating me out of money again...

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I was 14 and I helped my dad remove cement from bricks so they could be reused. Since I was paid, it counts as a job. It was also really draining, so it definitely counts :p

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
My first job after leaving school was as an Aircraft Avionic Engineer for British Airways......Working on Tristar, B737, B747 and Concorde.... :)

Evil Seal
Evil Seal
that sounds amazing!

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Guys, feel free to list other jobs as well. The weird ones, the terrible ones, etc.

For example, I worked for the RAND Corporation for a short time. It's a government think tank, and I was the receptionist. The rule was, NO ONE was allowed into the facility without showing identification. Even if they were big wigs and everyone knew who they were. It was quite odd asking General Colin Powell for his identification! But it was my job. 😅

nightshade

Can I be a sloth?
Staff member
Black Thorn
Ok my first paid job, can't remember how old, but i'm going to say under 12, and on a Saturday we would go walking up the woods and through the fields of the pheasant shoots banging the bushes and trees to get the birds to fly so they could be shot. I got paid £5 and had lunch provided. I did it again a few years later must had been in my teens then as got paid £15 for it.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I was working for my father one summer tabulating ambient temperatures for Halifax because he ran an engineering consultancy in the HVAC (Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning) business and had a contract to do some work there. This was a dull job but one day, he had a salesman come in selling cooling towers and my father and the salesman got into a discussion about them with my father saying, "What will it do?"

The salesman said, "Well, what do you want it to do?"
Father, "What will it do?"
Salesman, "Well what do you want it to do?"

This went on for about five minutes with my father, true example of a stubborn Taurus and the other guy, just as stubborn. The rest of us started laughing after about ten seconds, which gradually crescendoed as the minutes passed. It got so funny that our draftsman, fell off his chair but managed to stay upright by grabbing the top of the drafting board, so he was hanging by his fingertips off the board and me and the graduate engineer he had hired were laughing our fool heads off. The one fun day on the job. The rest was drudgery.

Evil Seal

Some serious serial series seeing going on...
The first thing for which I got paid was a week of intensive private French lessons for a Danish business man. He was a friend of my sister's who spent his Parisian family vacation having 6 hours of French lessons per day with two different teachers. Damn those Danes keep learning well after 60, it was inspiring watching this guy work so hard for something non essential for him

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
I worked for a Maths tutoring company when I was 15 and stayed there until I was 17. I hated it. Basically involved marking papers that kids had worked on and that was about it. I think they paid below minimum wage as well. Glad I left.

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
16. Cook at a restaurant and helped the owner with her computer issues.

Bluebird
Bluebird
There were computers then?

AshSlays

WOW, Sarcasm, that's original!
The cursed area of tons of sweet tea (Arkansas)
Black Thorn
another one that also probably doesn't count because I don't get payed, this one I probably never will:
I agreed for some odd reason to tutor a kid starting about 3 weeks ago in math. Hard thing is, this kid is HOPELESS at math I can only tutor him over e-mail. Also, the school won't let him pay me (he offered) because it "takes place on our e-mail system and that cannot be used for profit"
what the hell school

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
I was 12. I had a news paper job all year round and each summer until I was 18 I would peel flower bulbs. So if you have ever bought Dutch flowers (Tulips, etc.) then I might have peeled them. Such a lovely job. Thousands a a day and you needed to keep going even though your fingers were bleeding. I put duct tape around my fingers to survive.

nxGangrel

Totally not checkin' you out B
When I was 16, over two years ago, I was working as a bagger at a local grocery store until I got promoted to cashier about 8 months later. I still work there but as a night stocker, so I get to work from 10pm to 6 or so in the morning. I used to love it, but over time I began to hate it. Really.. Really.. Hate it. Especially working the front end. But I only got one month left since I'm finally moving out of the town I live in. I can't wait to find another job.

I used to imagine that if I died and went to hell; I would be working as a cashier for all eternity, on the only register open, without a break, at rush hour, on a never ending Sunday (the worst day of the week).

Evil Seal
Evil Seal
It does indeed sound like hell
W

WillowFromBuffy

When I was 18, I had a job maintaining parks and public buildings. I mostly cut grass. Before that I had jobs painting houses and stuff, but I am not sure if it counts, because I was paid in cash.

I've done loads of stuff since then. I'm 30 years old and I've never had a permanent position.

Top Bottom