• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

What we know about BtVS or Angel Season 12

LawgSkrak

Townie
Thought I'd share this video regarding opinions on the end of the buffyverse season structure and what it might mean going forward. All speculation of course. DH did say (above) that the one-shots would be canon but we shall see!

What one-shots are you talking about?

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
What one-shots are you talking about?

Another re-emphasis by DH that this isn't the end of Buffy... for whatever that is worth.

The tweet above is where they talk about how going forward they are getting rid of the season structure. DH had a tweet which I guess isn’t here but I remember seeing it, that said the continuations (i can only assume they will be one shots or minis) will be canon.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
I'm just going to stick this here: A Newborn For Buffy?

It's an interview with Christos Gage. It doesn't say much he is just hyping the season. Teasing the "could it be Buffy's baby" angle:

A Newborn For Buffy?

Apr 22, 2018

by Vince Brusio

The time for rest and relaxation is over, as Christos Gage hops on board to co-write with Joss Whedon Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 12: The Reckoning #1 (APR180011) for Dark Horse Comics. In this PREVIEWSworld Exclusive interview, Gage explains that he and Whedon are about to write some impossible stuff. Earth-shattering apocalyptic stuff. It may just give the artists migraines. So grab some Tylenol, and read on, fiends!

Vince Brusio: Season 12 takes place a year after we last saw Buffy and the Scoobies battling a big bad. It sounds like they had the opportunity to take a break. What did that down time look like? Have they had a chance to reflect on what they do, and if it’s still worth doing?

Christos Gage: Things have progressed in their lives, in different ways for each character. Without an apocalypse or Big Bad attacking, they've had a chance to spend more time thinking about what they want their future to look like. Some of the changes are bigger than others...for instance, SOMEONE'S got a baby! We see Buffy holding it right on the cover. Is it hers? Dawn and Xander's? Willow's? Harmony and Clem's? Okay, probably not that last one.

Vince Brusio: In this first issue, we’re said to expect the return of Fray. What’s the special occasion? How is this indicative of where the story will take us in Season 12?

Christos Gage: We're finally dealing head-on with something referred to as ancient history in the future-set Fray comic Joss wrote a few years back, which leads to the end of Slayers for two hundred years. It's this huge battle against the massed forces of evil...and it will affect not only our time but Fray's future time period as well.

Vince Brusio: “The Reckoning” is being touted as “the culmination of all the Buffy seasons.” That is one tall order, to say the least. Can you give us a heads-up on how such a massive feat will be executed?

Christos Gage: Well, Joss and I got together and talked about what we wanted to accomplish, and there was general agreement that Fray's world has been set up like this almost "Days of Future Past"/Ragnarok type future that the Buffyverse was headed towards, springing out of a huge apocalyptic battle that led to all Slayers and most supernatural creatures being banished from Earth. So we figured that to NEVER show that or address it was kind of a cop-out. Plus something that huge was a great reason to get all the characters together. As to how it will be executed, we'll write impossible stuff, and Georges Jeanty and Karl Story and the rest of our amazing team will somehow make it real.

Vince Brusio: If you could geek out over a particular scene in issue #1, what would it be? Why does this scene strike you as special?

Christos Gage: Gotta go with Buffy and the baby. Whose baby is it? What does it mean to Buffy and her life? And everybody else's? You'll have to wait and see.

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
If it's Buffy's then she either cheated on Spike (which would be LOL) with a human, got a mystical pregnancy in her downtime, had in-vitro or Spike suddenly turned human during that downtime (biggest WTF and FU to Angel). All of these options sound bonkers to me.

DayDreamer27

Potential
Knowing how Pro-Spike everyone seems to be, it'll end up being his in some contrived way. Ugh

I hope they keep it simple and just have it be Dander's (Xawn's lol) baby.

badsister

Angel's Avenger
ofc it's Dawn's and Xander's....or maybe Giles and that fairy chick...lol no.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
Who is supposed to be the female character in the center? Is that Buffy?

I thiiiiiink we have Xander, Dawn, Faith, Faith, then Angel, Willow, Buffy, Xander, Spike. What do you think?

Mylie

Scooby
That seems right. Though the 3rd drawing makes me think it could also be Buffy. I guess the coloring will make it easier to tell the difference lol.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
That seems right. Though the 3rd drawing makes me think it could also be Buffy. I guess the coloring will make it easier to tell the difference lol.

Oh, that's a good point! Buffy was definitely wearing a jacket with a collar like that in #1.

bLOEGSM.png

Yes, colors will definitely help! :p

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
I thiiiiiink we have Xander, Dawn, Faith, Faith, then Angel, Willow, Buffy, Xander, Spike. What do you think?

I was thinking Xander, Dawn, Buffy, Buffy, then Angel, Willow, (and I know this could be Buffy but it looks like the Dawn above) so maybe Dawn?, Xander, Spike.

Does Dawn have curly hair in the comics? She does above right? Why am I drawing a blank?

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
I was thinking it wasn't Dawn in the bottom panel because there's no goop/blood/whatever on her face in the top panel. But now I see that Xander doesn't have any in the top panel either. So maybe. The bottom image just doesn't look as Dawn-like as the top one to me.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
Christos has confirmed on Twitter that we'll see Fred in #3. (x)

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Just wanted to pass this along, I can't link it because it's from the "forum that shall not be named" but a user sent an email to DH asking about future projects and they were told "Unfortunately, I cannot give you any information about any future Buffy projects. Please continue to check our website for the most up to date news and releases."

Speculation is that maybe DH is losing the license (which is what happened to FireFly). Is Buffy going to Boom too??

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
If "Star Wars" is considered "best practices" then, at the very least, Buffy '97 is going away to avoid confusing the market and cannibalizing... Afro-Buffy? At least for a time, you want to corral all Buffy fandom, old and new, into the new series, you don't want to confuse people. Dark horse, well, the comic rights for an ongoing series are probably more valuable than a twenty year series that's been out of syndication for a decade. My guess is, The Producers want to keep their options open, so they don't get stuck with an obsolete deal. If the various merchandising deals start to die, Hot Topic, Funko, it would portend this. My guess is the Dark Horse keeps the rights, but will probably have to pay more for them.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
From the hard-hitting journalistic prowess that is CBR comes a new interview with Joss Whedon:

full Story: INTERVIEW: Joss Whedon Teases Buffy's Surprising End & Dr. Horrible's Return

Here are some snippets from what he says about Buffy and s12:

[Talking about Dr. Strange] In the meantime, we want to do something more with Dark Horse right now – especially because Fox is taking the Buffy license and the Firefly license back.

Similar to the show, we’re not going to close it all off in the sense of “Everybody’s dead!” Though we did think about doing that. [Laughter] But when I sat with Chris Gage, it was with the intent that after everything we’ve been through we wanted to have something to say that mirrors and rounds off where we started this comic [run]. And then they said, “You have four issues,” and it was like “Ohhhh. That’s all the time we have.”

So we dealt with a lot of things in small panels, and I don’t know if I fit it all in, but it was very important to try. We made sure that the journey wasn’t continuing. We wanted to give the Dark Horse era some closure. What they’ve done over the years with Scott Allie and Sierra Hahn, and everyone there has put their souls into this. The artists like Georges [Jeanty] and everyone were such a perfect match. It’s been a great combination, so it couldn’t just end.

[Interviewer] A running thread through the comics has been the idea that Buffy was in high school and into young adulthood in the show, this story has been all about the transition from young adult to adult adult. Between the baby and the maturation of a lot of relationships, did you want to leave addressing whether Buffy’s fully grown up?

Yeah, that is the question. That’s the eternal question with her. Where does she fit into this world? Is she ever going to follow a pattern as most people do, or is she going to live a life that doesn’t really pan out for someone into middle age? We’re not looking to answer the question, but we are looking to say “Here’s where she is now.” It will be the conclusion she’s come to that can give her some kind of understanding to say “I know who I am now.”

The 20s is a hard time to write about. I feel like Friends is actually underrated for its mythologizing of being in your 20s. How I Met Your Mother is the same kind of thing. There’s a story to be told about who don’t know what the **** they’re doing yet. Most of our stories are about the adolescent right of passage into adulthood, or they’re, “Oh, shit. I’m an adult, and I’ve got all these problems.” To crack the middle is really interesting. That’s what we were looking at in all of this. It was, “Let’s see if I can go to college for as long as Peter Parker did.”

[Interviewer] The last piece of the series is the Fray piece of it. That’s an original element from Dark Horse that’s colliding back with the here and now. Did you want to address that because as a pure comics thing, it can maybe be a bit more dangerous in terms of a finish?

Yeah. It’s nice to be able to say that I can actually mess with that. The whole question that arose from my ignorance was “Are we creating the Fray future, or are we stopping it from happening?” And honestly, Fray was my first comic, and I wrote it because I thought “I kind of have to do a slayer comic, don’t I?” I didn’t really know that I could do whatever I wanted to. [Laughs] But I set it 300 years in the future, thinking, “That can’t possibly affect the show!” And then, I’m an idiot, so it took me a while to realize that there’s something we can do with this dystopian thing hanging out there. What can we do with that? It was a nice place to say “Nobody’s safe.”

I don’t know what’s going to happen with [Fray], actually. I mean, legally. I heard about all of this after the fact. It’s like Disney taking Star Wars over to Marvel. All the sudden we realize this is happening. So I’m writing this from a position that will leave everybody in a position where you feel some closure, but it’s definitely not, “Oh, I now I wont’ ever want to read about them again.

Top Bottom