• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What would "Angel Season 6" Have Been Like?

white avenger

white avenger
The televised Season 6 that never happened. Does anyone remember any of the things that had been tentatively planned for the show if it had gone another year?

I have heard that Joss wanted to bring back Oz to serve as a mentor to Nina, though he never apparently talked to Seth Green about it. That would imply that Nina's role was going to be expanded somewhat, whether any real romance between her and Angel is still anyone's guess. I also heard that they were going to try and split Fred and Ilyria into 2 separate characters, giving Amy Acker a double role. If there actually had been a Season 6, Season 5 might not have been the last of Angel's affiliation with Wolfram & Hart, with no final battle, so Wes and Gunn might have survived.

Has anyone else ever heard anything else about what might have happened if the show hadn't been canceled?

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I recall reading the Blackthorn would be the focus of Season Six. I think that could work, as the abridged version we got was pretty good, and would be improved with more episodes.

katmobile

Scooby
Some of what went into the After the Fall comic although Joss is cagey on exactly what. Also Fred and Ilyria would have split into separate bodies and there'd be a triangle between them and Wes.

fauxindigo
fauxindigo
I love the idea of Amy playing both Illyria & Fred as two separate characters, but why tf would Wes have a thing for Illyria?

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Hmm, it's almost as if Mutant Enemy was making this show up on the fly. I say unaltered season five would have ended with Lindsay and Eve being the Big Bad, as a metaphor for corporate politics. Season Six would be set at WR&H, with Angel working his way into the Circle of the Blackthorn, and doing the dirty deeds needed to impress them. Season Seven would be the reconciliation arc, with Angel working to atone for the bad things he did to break the circle, ending in a Buffy Crossover. But who knows, no two seasons of that show were ever the same.

fauxindigo

Scooby
I think alot of the After the Fall comics would've happened in Season 6 had the budget and timing worked with all the actors, plot lines etc... like L.A. going to hell probably would've been expensive to shoot but so worth it. I'm sure they would've loved to bring old faces back into the mix like Gwen & Kate (like in After the Fall)... and they probably would've done what they did in the comics with Wes & Gunn. Wes still bound to his W&H Contract after death and Gunn gets vamped out and becomes a major foe to Angel. Sad, I love Gunn but it would've been an interesting evolution of his character.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
The problem with "After the Fall" is is this. I don't think the finale we got happens if the series is renewed, and I doubt they would stop using the sets for W&H in season 6, especially if Blackthorn was going to be the event. I'm sure a lot of ideas from Season 6 ended up in ATF, but I doubt the series was going to LA in hell, especially after Season 4. There is still a Network to be placated.

fauxindigo
fauxindigo
I can see them hunkered down in the offices of W&H during hell in L.A.

Tank1978

Scooby
I think i read or heard an interview which backs up the oz and nina involvement. Nina was set to be either a main character or recurring one and oz was going to have a few episodes where he would mentor her on controlling the beast within.

I'm sure I also heard that had there been a season 6 then season 5 would have ended quite differently. Wes wouldn't have died and the ending would have set things up for S6.

Just a gut feeling but given they tried unsuccessfully to get SMG into it a few times that they'd have tried again for an episode with her.

On a side note it's a shame they never brought back Boon or some of the demons from the ring. Some good characters there and boon in particular had a backstory with Angel they could have explored

Btvs fan

Scooby
I think i read or heard an interview which backs up the oz and nina involvement. Nina was set to be either a main character or recurring one and oz was going to have a few episodes where he would mentor her on controlling the beast within.

I'm sure I also heard that had there been a season 6 then season 5 would have ended quite differently. Wes wouldn't have died and the ending would have set things up for S6.

Just a gut feeling but given they tried unsuccessfully to get SMG into it a few times that they'd have tried again for an episode with her.

On a side note it's a shame they never brought back Boon or some of the demons from the ring. Some good characters there and boon in particular had a backstory with Angel they could have explored
I really doubt Seth Green would've come back. Besides he had virtually next to nothing in there S8 comic let alone Angel. Urghh as for more Nina :(

An episode with Buffy would've been a load of triangle stuff that Joss would've deliberately left open to interpretation so as not to offend either set of fans I'm kind of glad she didn't turn up imo.

Myheadsgonenumb

Potential
I'm sure I read at the time of cancellation Joss saying that his plan for the end of season 5 would have stayed exactly the same except for Wes not dying. He foresaw season 6 being the fall out of 'not fade away' - though obviously it wouldn't have been the same as the comics as money and what is actually physically possible would be a factor for a live show. Though I do think he was planning to have Fred begin to reemerge from inside Illyria. And - I might be completely making this up - but I seem to recall his idea was that they would basically be on the run from the Senior Partners in a Winnebago in the desert. Like the episode 'Spiral' extended to an entire season.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Some of what went into the After the Fall comic although Joss is cagey on exactly what. Also Fred and Ilyria would have split into separate bodies and there'd be a triangle between them and Wes.
That could have worked well. That way Amy would get two Emmy noms in the same category?!

A cool idea might have been to have had a episode where you see both Fred and Illyria get up in the morning and have both their perspectives?

white avenger

white avenger
Some of the elements from the "After The Fall" arc, which Joss officially recognized as canon, that might have made their way into a Season 6, were the return of Kate as a full time demon fighter, complete with longer hair and a Black Widow cat suit, and the introduction of a team of Slayers permanently stationed in Los Angeles. Nina was still around, but her wolf personality was feeding somehow into her human persona, though that might just have been due to that arc being located in hell, rather than in the normal world. And Gunn had apparently been somehow turned into a vampire who had delusions of still being good, despite torturing and killing the aforementioned Slayer team, over and over, then magically resurrecting them in order to do it all over again.

One of my favorite bits in "After The Fall" was Spike loving in the Playboy mansion with an all girl team of demon fighters that he called the "Spikettes." I always imagined a scene where Buffy came back and found out about that. The comedy potential...

fauxindigo
fauxindigo
I loved the Spike & his Spikettes!

buffy76

Townie
That could have worked well. That way Amy would get two Emmy noms in the same category?!

A cool idea might have been to have had a episode where you see both Fred and Illyria get up in the morning and have both their perspectives?
Yeah, it would be great to have an episode like that.

GreyWalker1958

Potential

Come to think of it, Boon returning would've been nice. Im surprised Lynch and Whedon never thought of him. Sake goes for Dark Horse post Twilight and beyond

Top Bottom