1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question What would you do if you were in charge of Rebooting Season 1 of BTVS?

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by NikonTheVampire, Jul 2, 2015.

1. NikonTheVampire

NikonTheVampire He who cannot be staked

Black Thorn
    We have all matured enough since December 2010, when the idea of Buffy being rebooted floated around Hollywood.

At first I was against the idea. But as time goes by and I re watch the series over and over again, I begin to wonder if Rebooting would be a good thing.

Bringing Buffy to this day in age. Tackling problems such as bullying, social media among other things that plague high school now. I loved one of SMG's first tweets. "If the apocalypse comes... Tweet me".

Imagine a hell mouth with Instagram, facebook and twitter. What would season 1 be like? How would the popular kids act? what about the outcasts? Gay teens would be more common and not that frowned upon. What kind of hell would kids face these days?

Also... During on Dec 2010, Heather Morris floated in playing Buffy Summers. I thought she would be wrong for the part. What you actors and actresses could pull off the roles we know and love to this day?

Wildfly likes this.
  2. BuffFanatic8

BuffFanatic8 Townie

I would cast Jennifer Laurence as Buffy and Benedict Cumberhatch as Giles.

Blaze: J. Lawrence is my pick too!
    ChaseRules, NikonTheVampire and Blaze like this.
  3. NikonTheVampire

Black Thorn
    I think that the actors you mention are too main stream
    I would cast unknowns. I would also make the series 10 episodes per season. HBO style

4. The Bronze

The Bronze GraceZ

Black Thorn
    Even with my new found maturity I still don't want anyone rebooting Buffy. The TV series holds up perfectly well as it is and I'm enjoying the comic continuation. Maybe I need another 20 years of maturing to get on board.

5. NikonTheVampire

Black Thorn
    As I imagine I will be seeing the series with my daughters, I can't seem to shake the idea that something is missing. Here and now. Why not use the cell phone? Why not tweet for help... Why is there only one or two gay characters.? etc

Puppet likes this.
  6. The Bronze

The Bronze GraceZ

Black Thorn
    I've not watched the series with any youngsters so I don't know how much that's likely to bother them. Maybe @thetopher can let us know if it's bugging his niece at all?

I imagine a quick explanation that phones and social network weren't around would be enough and people wouldn't dwell on it. If a reboot featured heavily on modern technology I think it would lose a lot of the story focus anyway.

Also is that the stage kids are at now with regards to gay characters? Are they doing a count up and finding it odd if there are too many or too few?

7. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

I would make the story totally different from the original, keeping only the concept of the Watchers and the Slayers. No Sunnydale, no Hellmouth, no nerd high school friends or vampire boyfriend. Each Season's story would be divided into several arcs, each taking place in a different location, with the Slayer going to wherever a vampire nest or demon group was located, spending a few weeks there, then moving on to the next location, possibly having several small bases located within close proximity of known "hot spots" of vampire or demon activity, each base manned by a small team of demon fighters.
    The Slayer would be, in general, the "big gun" that would be called to a particular location when the local teams were confronted by something that they couldn't handle alone (possibly a recurring super vampire like Dracula or Lilith, who always manages to escape to terrorize another day)

The "one girl in all the world" concept would not be used, but the number of Slayers worldwide would be quite small, probably no more than two per continent, and the mandatory yearly apocalypse would bring several, if not all, of the Slayers together to fight as a team. There would be several recurring Slayers, but also several new girls, replacing those who had died during the previous year.

Puppet and Ethan Reigns like this.
  8. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    That would make much more sense - because ONE Slayer in all world, there's no balance in that, and with her staying in the same place all the time is still worse...

9. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    I say keep one slayer - it's the premise of the universe and this isn't a sequel to the show. Change the setting to the hellmouth in Cleveland. I'd like Buffy to be more like Faith (just like the new Kirk was a delinquent instead of an Iowa farm boy). I'd like to see a black Willow to get rid of the myth that there are no black female computer nerds - right there she's playing against type. I'd keep Giles the way he is, but drawing on Ripper a bit more. Xander would be pretty much the same except I'd like him to be gay - not as a point of focus , more like Willow. I'd keep the sex down to a minimum because the focus would be on confronting the hellmouth.

Vampires - that's hard. The vampire true love has been done to death, and the nemesis/sexual tension is an even worse cliche. Besides - Angel and Spike were never part of an actual triangle. Spike was not interested in Buffy in season 2. When Angel left, Spike came on the show. There was almost no time that they were both in Sunnydale. They did both love her in their own ways, but this is also another Dru - albeit good instead of evil. I think the shipping wars created a triangle in the fans minds. In response it was accentuated in AtS. Anyway, I think I would like to build the vampire culture (survival) instead of a love triangle.

The early talk is about the Order of Aurelius. I see vampires in an Order would also be killing fledges and idiots to stake their territory and keep their food supply. My own prejudice would to be to keep them as a couple but I'd love to hear what others would do. :D

And I want a version of dark!Wesley! I will have that version!

Oh, as for kids - I told my granddaughter to think of it as historical. It was what things were like when the technology started to blossom, and when her mother was in school. I got questions but no complaints.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    Puppet likes this.
  10. NightLady

NightLady Potential

What would I do if I were in charge of a s1 remake? easy! delete Angel's character :D

Puppet, amberjane and Mr Trick like this.
  11. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Don't eliminate him, just recast the part

[​IMG]

NightLady: this is just great XD
    NightLady likes this.
  12. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

But besides technology advancing and more acceptance of alternative cultures I'm not convinced than that much has changed since Buffy was around, certainly nothing interesting enough to add to the plot. And it was kind of ahead of the curb anyway as a show with an episode like I...robot, you...Jane. Yeah its a poor episode but the overall idea was logical and not a bad one. Also, I just think bringing in all the modern twitter stuff would just distract too much from the characters.

13. NikonTheVampire

Black Thorn
    An Angel basher... I see.
    I guess first love is something that we could just erase from the the show altogether...
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 28, 2015, Original Post Date: Jul 28, 2015 ---
    You think? I believe the LGBT movement is stronger. I believe that would come into play a bit more... social wise. I think that the message of relativity is stronger than ever now. As well as hate crimes, racism and other frightening things in the world.

thetopher likes this.
  14. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

If you were rebooting the show then you could just change it, like either that isn't a love interest or its someone different than Angel. I do agree with Night Lady though because their relationship was the weakest aspect of the first season or at least the Angel character was.

Puppet likes this.
  15. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    lol I think that's the best thing about season 1 lol :D

Wesley Pryce and thetopher like this.
  16. NightLady

NightLady Potential

I don't know why you came to the conclusion "no Angel=no first love", I have nothing with first love on the show (Buffy or others), as long as the characters involved don't ruin it making it a sham (without jams). Angel does in my opinion and if you want to think that I'm a basher for this, suit yourself

Puppet and Mr Trick like this.
  17. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Sid the Dummy begs to differ:D

NightLady and bespangeled like this.
  18. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    It might have been more convincing and poignant if Billy Fordham from "Lie to Me" had been Buffy's first love. That would have put her in the position of destroying her first love to save the other people or allowing him to remain undead as a vampire. She would have met up with him again in Season 1 and resumed a romance only to have Billy perform espionage for vampires in exchange for being sired. And we would have known but she would not have suspected until "Lie to Me". Angel could have been the person to warn her about this.

Puppet likes this.
  19. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

No, I think the whole twist of her and Angel finding love only for that twist to come was just about the perfect way to go IMO. Its just that their romance in S1 was a bit dull for me.

20. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    Yeah, on both accounts. There are some beautiful moments in the Bangel relationship, but there's a limit to all the UST and tragic separation I can take. OTH - Buffy killing Angel will still make me tear up. Season 3 was a mistake - that just wore on way too much.

Mr Trick likes this.