1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question What would you do if you were in charge of Rebooting Season 1 of BTVS?

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by NikonTheVampire, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole My lines are mostly filler

Black Thorn
    That is untrue. They may have been the first lead lesbian couple but far from the first lesbian kiss on TV.

2. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I think the name 'Buffy' is iconic in its own right now though. It's never going to make the top baby names list, but Buffy isn't Buffy without being Buffy. Making her 'Elizabeth' would lessen that IMO.

3. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    I don't think there is anything to be gained by a reboot of BtVS. I think that mineshaft of demon fighting being equated to growing up has been tapped out and would have to face other supernatural shows with the same idea. But the idea in Ats of a law firm with interdimensional ties to the normal and demon world alike and driven by total evil is something that first appeared on Ats, was never copied elsewhere, was immensely entertaining and could still have a lot of life in it. I would prefer a series called Wolfram & Hart or The Wolf, The Ram and The Hart.

If I was a network producer, I would never approve a reboot of Buffy. But a reboot of a unique idea from Ats? That would get greenlighted by me.

4. Mr. Pole

Black Thorn
    I would love to see a Fray series. That would be fun and totally different from anything on the air at the moment.

5. Athena

Black Thorn
    What I know of Fray is fairly limited, but I'd like to see that too. More so than a Buffy reboot, but less than a Buffy reunion....

6. Mr. Pole

Black Thorn
    I've the library binding and I was jumping on Amazon to send you the link and holy cow! they are going listed for 2 grand! See. Wonder how much I could sell mine for. It's in mint condition!
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 12, 2016 ---
    It's a larger, hard cover book. The pages are bigger. They usually have more sketchwork and stuff in the back... this is an example of a library-bound
    upload_2016-3-12_17-39-15.png

I think Fray was over 200 pages.

Athena: What's a library binding?
  7. WileyDairyGnome

WileyDairyGnome Strong like an Amazon

Sineya
    I think I was confusing this with Dawson's Creek which aired the first gay male kiss on a TV show in the USA.

8. amberjane

amberjane Potential

i do believe james marsters said it was the firsf teen lesbian kiss, but he coukd be wrong. i just remember him being super proud to be a part of that, even though he wasnt in that episode.

if i were to reboot, id only keep buffy and probably sunnydale. thered be no xander or willow, but other characters instead so we wouldnt constantly compare them to the original cast. and obviously different story lines... i do like the larger connected plots weaved with motw type episodes, so i wouldnt cut to ten episodes. the metaphors for dealing with certain growing up issues would still stay, bc imo thats the show's premise. and i dont think the media poses too much of a problem if handled correctly, vampire diaries handles it fine and is very similar to buffy.

9. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I think rather than do an actual reboot, do a kind of sequel/reboot. The new Buffy would be called Buffy because she was named after the old Buffy and her parents are friends of Buffy's like maybe her dad is Xander. New Buffy's life would be normal until she gets the calling, she has her new friends to help her. The whole joke of the season would be that new Buffy is trying to keep her job as a slayer a secret, not realising that her dad and the other adults in her life were part of the original Scooby gang with the slayer.

MarieVampSlayer and sosa lola like this.
  10. The Bronze

The Bronze GraceZ

Black Thorn
    :eek: I had no idea there was a Fray Library Edition. I have all the other ones. I don't think they sell for £2000 though. I think that's just what suppliers put up when they're out of stock. I ran into it a lot when finding After the Fall Premiere Edition. Time to start browsing ebay.

11. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I like the idea of a second generation Buffy.

12. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

How about the second generation Buffy being Dawn? I think MT has shown all the skills needed as an actress to take on that role. And because of her growing up and being trained by Buffy then she would fit the part like hand in glove.

13. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Dawn's not a slayer though and wouldn't have the slayer strength.

Maybe Dawn could be step-mom to the new slayer. It would subvert the "evil step-mom" trope.

14. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

But surely if she's trained by Buffy that would help to give her the Slayer strength. In a way I like the character as it is. At the same time I do see a lot in her personality that fits the role.

15. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

We saw her mistakenly get identified as a potential then trained by Buffy but couldn't really hack it. That's what I remember of season 7, forgive me if there is bits I'm omitting. I don't know if that has changed in the comics. I don't want Dawn to be Buffy 2.0 because that just seems cliché, the younger sibling taking over from the older sibling.

The reboot/sequel would need to distance itself from the original enough to be considered its own thing but still have ties that honour the original. Alternatively, have Buffy be a mother and struggle with finding out her daughter's a slayer. The reboot would focus more on the daughter but Buffy would still be there and you could work in about being a slayer is a metaphor for being a parent and protecting your children from things in the world that could harm them.

16. Athena

Black Thorn
    Well, we had Nikki Wood. A slayer who's also a mother. There's nothing to say that couldn't happen for Buffy and 'Buffy Junior'.

Except please don't call it Buffy Junior.

DeadlyDuo likes this.
  17. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

If the child was going to be called Buffy, then the parent would need to be either Xander or Willow or Giles. Someone close to Buffy that would be more than happy to name their child after their friend. If Buffy is the parent than the kid needs a new name.

18. iambored123

iambored123 Townie

I would like to see the writers focusing more on Cordelia, she was such a great character, and its sad because there are a lot of fans that haven't watched the spin-off, and her entire character development occurs in Angel.

matt124 likes this.
  19. matt124

matt124 Potential

Buffy's daughter becoming the next slayer. I think this would be cool to move the buffyverse forward and revive it. In turn getting to see recurring appearances of the original cast.

Now, I know Sunnydale is gone and it might be hard for it to be rebuilt again. But It has to have a new Hellmouth.

As for a true reboot. No thanks, I think I would rather see people doing a fanfic story or virtual series rebooting Buffy in modern day. I would be *so* up to reading it and even brainstorming ideas of how I would do it for a story. But not a real series and it being made.

20. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

Disagree. In my opinion, the 'canon' is so kind of screwed up now, I'd rather they sort of start over.

Priceless likes this.