1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What would you rather giles had left you in his will?

Discussion in 'Season 8' started by mackenzie99, Nov 29, 2015.

1. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I think this is just Faith's one, last little nasty voice that's bouncing around her head from the old days. And I actually think it wasn't Buffy attacking Faith that set her off- it was the whole 'Giles and I would never trust you because you haven't changed' that set her off. Given that its implied that Bufyf and Giles hadn't seen Faith since the end of Sunnydale I still think this is a big leap on Buffy's part.
    YVMV.

I disagree. It was Giles lying about the mission to Faith that set her off on her old jealousies. He told her that Genevieve was a threat to the world, but actually she was a threat to Buffy specifically, which is different. The main thing I object to is that Giles was sending Faith to murder somebody on a lie.
    So Faith suddenly understands why this is all so important, but by this time she's already decided to play things a different way, but she does resent Giles trying to play her- in that small way- and also the fact that Bufyf is the motivator.

Again I don't think Giles was that spiteful to Buffy. Buffy had gotten over his leaving in S6 (In 'Graves') and his betrayal in S7 because she (ultimately) understood the motivations behind them.
    At the end of S8 there's lots of different emotions that Buffy can't deal with. I'm sure her guilt at being involved in his death coloured her reaction to Giles will. But if he'd simply been hit by a bus and then this happened, Buffy wouldn't have been half as devestated.

Samuel Reyes: It's YMMV, not YVMV. :)
  2. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Anyway, he used Faith to do his bidding. He used to do what he wanted, and afterwards, he wanted everyone to accept it gracefully. Imagine if Faith had killed Genevieve and then found out that it was just to protect Buffy? How big would be the damage done to her?

The more I think about all things Giles did, the more mad I get at him. It's because all of that that I think Kid!Giles was a necessary reboot.

YVMV ???

3. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    The thing is I can see that this is Giles' thinking. This is his 'Watcher' think that has been evident throughout the show (same as Wesley's)- doing what he must to protect Buffy. He would kill Ben for her, end Spike's 'threat', and use Faith to end Gene's dangerous plans.
    I can see his thinking even if I don't agree with it, which is why I don't utterly condemn him for it.
    But yeah, he should've told Faith the truth behind his motivation- he'd been upfront about everything else but that, that was manipulative.

And lets not forget that in the end Giles realises that Faith did the right thing trying to reach Gene (not to mention him saving her life from the warlock), and so that's why he wants to partner with Faith for the future. He in turn gives her fresh direction- going after slayers and helping them before they go off the rails.

Oh and it means (I think) Your view, My view. :)

4. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Well, Faith had really changed, and she didn't go for the kill.

Yeah, but what was this about, they travelling through Europe - in the end it was revealed that Giles actually was looking for something to kill Twilight...

This Watcher thinking should have been used when Faith was all alone, without a Watcher. She wasn't his duty, of course, but anyway, as a Watcher, he should have helped her.

And the fact that he has done many dubious things to protect Buffy don't change his final "message" (the will). Or, it reinforces that he was protecting the Slayer, his Slayer.