• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What's with the blood?

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
So can anyone explain to me exactly where on screen we ever find out that Dawn's physical appearance was created out of Buffy's blood and that Dawn has Summers blood as a result? Where is that ever stated in canon? Did I miss a scene?

And no, I don't want to hear the excuse that Buffy says so, so it's canon. How does Buffy know to begin with? She have a blood test done?

All the idiot monk told Buffy was: 'We had to hide the Key, gave it form, molded it flesh...made it human and sent it to you.'

This in fact makes it clear that Dawn was created apart and away from Buffy. So how on Earth does Dawn have Buffy's blood? Did the monks teleport to Cali and prick Buffy without her noticing before teleporting back? Nowhere in there as far as I remember is it ever stated that Dawn was made from Buffy and therefor has Summers blood. It only comes up when Buffy literally pulls that stupid, nonsensical 'plot' out of her ass. According to the monk, Buffy had nothing to do with Dawn's creation.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Dawn was made to be Joyce's daughter and Buffy's sister. She was made to be a Summers. By default her blood would be made to be Summers blood. They conjured a body out of thin air, implanted memories into everyone. They could do something as prosaic as matching blood type.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I do wonder...surely they'd take blood from Hank and Joyce to make Dawn??? Doesn't really make much sense to have Dawn be Buffy's sister and yet make Dawn out of Buffy....

RomanticSoul
RomanticSoul
For starters...

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
Slayer intuition. Just like she figures out Jenny has answers about Angel losing his soul, etc.
How does slayer intuition turn into blood? And that still doesn't explain where the monks, all the way over in Eastern Europe, got their hands on Buffy's blood.

Dawn was made to be Joyce's daughter and Buffy's sister. She was made to be a Summers. By default her blood would be made to be Summers blood. They conjured a body out of thin air, implanted memories into everyone. They could do something as prosaic as matching blood type.
That's your headcanon I take it? Because it still doesn't answer the blood question. 'By default' is not canon or proof of anything, that's a guess on your end.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
That's your headcanon
You said yourself it was not explained, thus any explanation would in fact be head canon. Most the damn show with all of their inconsistencies is head canon. Head canon should have a damn writers credit.

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
You said yourself it was not explained, thus any explanation would in fact be head canon. Most the damn show with all of their inconsistencies is head canon. Head canon should have a damn writers credit.
No. I'm asking this question because people INSIST it's CANON that Dawn was made out of Buffy/has Summers blood (and also why Buffy can jump instead of Dawn- blood), despite nothing on the show backing that up. And no, Buffy pulling that out of her ass does not count. Hence why I'm asking where the canon proof is.

Spanky
Spanky
Oh. The only canon proof is that which came from the donkey.
W

WillowFromBuffy

How does slayer intuition turn into blood?
It does not turn into blood. Buffy's preternatural intuition allows her to understand Sineya's clue, just like her dreams told her about Jenny and how to bait the Major.
And that still doesn't explain where the monks, all the way over in Eastern Europe, got their hands on Buffy's blood.
The magic of a fantasy show is that it does not have to explain how everything works. We are simply made to accept that certain entities have powers that are beyond our understanding. Of course, it would cheapen the drama if magic was used as a consequence free deus ex machina, but Buffy's sacrifice is foreshadowed, thematically appropriate and gives the ending the necessary weight.

white avenger

white avenger
So can anyone explain to me exactly where on screen we ever find out that Dawn's physical appearance was created out of Buffy's blood and that Dawn has Summers blood as a result?
There never actually was any sort of explanation, only the assumption that Dawn had "Summers blood." It was just one of those "everybody knows" sort of facts that, when you look closely at it, has no logical basis. More than anything else, I guess that they were just needed some sort of heroic reason for Buffy to die at the end of the Season.

W

WillowFromBuffy

Faith comes to Buffy in a dream and tells her to play on the Major's humanity. Buffy somehow understands this to mean that the Major had true affection for Faith and can be provoked into following her into the school where the explosives are.

Spanky
Spanky
It was a mayor gamble listening to Faith. The whole plan could have mayorly failed.

Evil Seal

The Blake Bortles of whatever's going on right now
I do wonder...surely they'd take blood from Hank and Joyce to make Dawn??? Doesn't really make much sense to have Dawn be Buffy's sister and yet make Dawn out of Buffy....
The monks implanted memories of Dawn as a sister because Buffy was too young to be her mother but she practically is her mother since she's the one who is supposed to protect her at all cost, not Joyce. I feel like that's why they made Dawn out of Buffy and not Joyce & Hank

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
The monks implanted memories of Dawn as a sister because Buffy was too young to be her mother but she practically is her mother since she's the one who is supposed to protect her at all cost, not Joyce. I feel like that's why they made Dawn out of Buffy and not Joyce & Hank
But Dawn didn't have to be 14, they could have made Dawn 4 or a baby and be Buffy's daughter. I don't think Buffy would have been any less inclined to protect Dawn if she were made from Joyce and Hank as siblings are meant to be, so other than convenience for 'The Gift' it's weird that they made her from Buffy.

W

WillowFromBuffy

@Spanky It is not clear if the people who appear in Buffy's dreams are astral projections of their real selves or if they are mere actors formed by Buffy's power. However, the slayer dreams never steers Buffy wrong, so if the person in the dream is Faith, it must be the part of Faith that is good.

Evil Seal

The Blake Bortles of whatever's going on right now
But Dawn didn't have to be 14, they could have made Dawn 4 or a baby and be Buffy's daughter. I don't think Buffy would have been any less inclined to protect Dawn if she were made from Joyce and Hank as siblings are meant to be, so other than convenience for 'The Gift' it's weird that they made her from Buffy.
Well a baby is far more vulnerable than a 14 yo and the writers (and the monks who made up the memories) would have had to explain why Buffy was suddenly a teen mom. That would have been very weird and OOC.
But I agree that this plot point isn't really clear and I always attributed that to the magicks involved

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
It does not turn into blood. Buffy's preternatural intuition allows her to understand Sineya's clue, just like her dreams told her about Jenny and how to bait the Major.
We were shown on screen about those dreams. Nothing on screen tells us Buffy is right about the blood thing because what we were told by Dawn's creators on screen was that Dawn was created without Buffy.

The magic of a fantasy show is that it does not have to explain how everything works. We are simply made to accept that certain entities have powers that are beyond our understanding. Of course, it would cheapen the drama if magic was used as a consequence free deus ex machina, but Buffy's sacrifice is foreshadowed, thematically appropriate and gives the ending the necessary weight.
Then the show is contradicting itself. The monks created Dawn absent and without Buffy (or Buffy's blood). Just because Joss later needed to pull this blood relation out of his ass to make 'The Gift' work, just means it's a retcon.

I feel like that's why they made Dawn out of Buffy and not Joyce & Hank
But that's never backed up by anything on screen, is the point. In fact the monks created Dawn absent of Buffy and far away from where Buffy is.

W

WillowFromBuffy

We were shown on screen about those dreams. Nothing on screen tells us Buffy is right about the blood thing because what we were told by Dawn's creators on screen was that Dawn was created without Buffy.
The closing of the portal proved Buffy was right.
Then the show is contradicting itself. The monks created Dawn absent and without Buffy (or Buffy's blood). Just because Joss later needed to pull this blood relation out of his ass to make 'The Gift' work, just means it's a retcon.
I don't see a contradiction. They didn't make Dawn with their hands. They used magic. Dawn appeared in Buffy's bedroom with no monks around. You've just pulled out of your ass that the monks would need to remove Buffy's blood physically.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
The whole conversation with the monk in 'No Place Like Home' is basically 'we made her human, she is your sister' ergo she is related and has similar enough blood for some blood ritual. I mean they spent a long while this season at a hospital so Buffy could've done some checking, its nota massive loop hole or anything.

But the sticking point to me, how the hell did the book KNOW that it was going to be a blood ritual at the end of the season. We're told that the Key could've been anything, right? It could've been a lamp or a car or a little stuffed Mr Gordo type thing.

I can only assume that the sacred book they got from Doc had an index inside; 'In case that the Key is a giant Oreo cookie needing to be sacrificed then turn to page --', if the Key is a bicycle pump then page --, if the Key is a blimp...
And on it goes for a good long while covering every sacred ritual regarding almost every object imaginable. How does one sacrifice a bicycle pump anyway?

Buffy's preternatural intuition allows her to understand Sineya's clue, just like her dreams told her about Jenny and how to bait the Major.
The first was Buffy's slayer intuition, the second was Faith telling Buffy the answer; the good 'slayer' part of Faith if you will.

W

WillowFromBuffy

The first was Buffy's slayer intuition, the second was Faith telling Buffy the answer; the good 'slayer' part of Faith if you will.
Well, it is clearly linked to their slayer power. It is a conversation taking place within a dream and Faith is able to prophecise Dawn's birth and Buffy's death.

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
The closing of the portal proved Buffy was right.
Erm, no it doesn't. Since even if I accept the retcon of Summers blood (which I don't), Buffy still doesn't have key blood because there is no such thing as reverse biology. Dawn is still the only Key with key blood, ergo Buffy jumping should have done nothing.

I don't see a contradiction. They didn't make Dawn with their hands. They used magic. Dawn appeared in Buffy's bedroom with no monks around. You've just pulled out of your ass that the monks would need to remove Buffy's blood physically.
To quote the monk AGAIN: We had to hide the Key, gave it form, molded it flesh...made it human and sent it to you.

They made Dawn and THEN decided to send her to Buffy. Buffy was not involved in the making of Dawn. It's right there in the text. If she was made from Buffy, you needed just to add 3 more words to it.

'We had to hide the Key, gave it form, molded it flesh...made it human with your blood and sent it to you.'

The whole conversation with the monk in 'No Place Like Home' is basically 'we made her human, she is your sister' ergo she is related and has similar enough blood for some blood ritual. I mean they spent a long while this season at a hospital so Buffy could've done some checking, its nota massive loop hole or anything.
I quoted what the monk says in my very first post. NOTHING in there about Dawn being made out of Buffy or Buffy's blood. NOTHING. And blood testing was also mentioned in my first post. But never mentioned on the show. And I can only work with what's on screen.

Top Bottom