• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Whats your equvilant to Nippers?

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Nippers is a beach skills program for young kids in Australia to learn how to survive and rescue in our oceans. It only just occurred to me that this might not be exist in other places on the planet. What do kids in your country do every Sunday instead of going to the beach?

If you are Aussie, did you participate? What was your favourite activity? I saw a few episodes of the reality show Nippers on ABC, brought back so many memories! I assume they made the show to promote surf sport again after those deaths in competition. We didn't have to wear fluro pink tops when I did it, but we did have the coloured caps.

I miss the knee boards. I think it has inspired me to get back in the surf. I am not too fussed on standing up surfing, I enjoyed body boarding as a teen, but I am too povo to buy a board and they do shortboard hire on the beach :p

Let me know if the vid doesn't work, I'll find another if you need a visual to give you an idea of what I am talking about

Sineya
My daughter got her NLS (National Lifesaving Service) certification starting with certain basic tests that she could do at a summer camp and transferring this to her higher-level tests that she took to get her certification. Getting certified is not cheap but having a lot of tests finished at no added expense at summer camp made it a lot less expensive. Certification must be repeated annually but she has the necessary skills and she used this to get a job at another summer camp but she has not kept this up since then. Boarding and surfing were not part of this since it is more intended for lakes and swimming pools but she learned to surf in Pusan, Korea during the year she taught school at Pohang, Korea.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I get real fed up with that scenario, learning to swim in the pool or at summer camp does not help a person swim in the sea; other than the basic swimming technique. In the sea a person has to deal with waves, white water, rifts, the swell and sea creatures. Children should be taught to swim in both situations.

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Yeah, its true that the surf here is nothing like lake swimming, but my question was asking for the equivilant so I appreciate Ethans answer :)

I never got certified. I finished nippers before highschool and was easily talked out of state ironman events. I hate swimming over reefs and dark water. I was one of the quickest swimmers cos I used the anxious energy to propell me lol. Boards are just fun. I never got worried in the deep on boards.

This is another one of those things that I didnt realise made aussies so tough. I didnt consider myself an especially strong swimmer, but the surf we swam in as 7 year olds now regularly drowns adult migrants.

The nippers program is fantasic, I hope the show succeeds in getting more kids back into it. Sometimes I think the parents are more afraid, getting hammered by surf is all part of it. Swim and survive, or simply die. #Straya

Sineya
When I saw the thread title, the first thing I thought of was:

Nipper was the name of a dog from Bristol, UK whose picture titled "His Master's Voice" subsequently became the image of the RCA company, from their origins as the Victor Talking Machine Company to RCA to HMV ("His Master's Voice") records. A lot of their radios carried the Nipper name and sometimes the logo on them as in this one where the logo is molded into the plastic just to the right of the volume control:

NileQT87
NileQT87
Ah, yes. As an Elvis fan, the first thing I thought of was RCA's Nipper. Elvis used to have a statue of that dog from RCA on his stage during some shows in the '50s.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
That sounds like a neat program. I can't think of anything equivalent in my area. I mean, there are smaller programs (Jr. Lifeguards, swim and surf classes) and of course private lessons, but nippers seems like a big scale program that tons of kids participate in.

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Yeah its pretty massive. There were a couple of kids killed in competition in the last few years so I assume that's why they brought the tv show out to fix the image. I didn't know about the reality show until I saw it on the ABC website, I am watching the last episode now. Its a pretty clever reality set up - they follow a child who is new to Australia, one who is overweight but committed to fitness, one who is set to be an Olympic star, a couple finishing their training and a few competitive teams. Lots more tears in this show than there actually is on the beach but I still thought the show was great and if it encouraged me, I can imagine it will encourage the kids its aimed at too. Its not as if coastal parents cant afford to send their kids to it. The government is so concerned over the weight and fitness of aussie kids that they give out grants for kids sport now. Its aimed at primary age and makes me happy to see the youngest kids have more guts and stamina than the uni crowds do haha.

YouTube suggested this video from my era. It must have heard me talking about it.

I sorta regret moving so far from the beach. I didn't really appreciate how big a part of my life it had been. WA beaches are magical. Perth beaches tend to wash out in the afternoon but down here has more protected bays that are suitable all day. Unfortunately there are also more sharks, and most of the best places are unpatrolled and ice cold. Still better than Bondi though, at least I am no where near the sewage outlet lol.

Aussies can find the program on free to air here - Nippers

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
Nippers is a beach skills program for young kids in Australia to learn how to survive and rescue in our oceans. It only just occurred to me that this might not be exist in other places on the planet. What do kids in your country do every Sunday instead of going to the beach?
We have something called ”Skogsmulle” which is part of an outdoors organisation that arranges activites where kids get to learn about the woods, animals and plants etc and how to behave in the woods (is that bear poop? How fresh? Maybe stay away. Don’t eat this, but you can eat that, don’t poke that, and so on)

If I remember correctly it was usually on Saturdays though. At least in my time :)

6B8E9A50-4D08-4BB1-8959-5EAD21DDF0D8.jpeg

HoppyHippy
HoppyHippy
Awesome!
sk
sk
wow, this actually still exists!? Would never have thought that. lol

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Nowadays the Nippers don't mind if there is a sewage pipe outlets nearby as all Australians have been drinking treated water for years. Many grown ups have been drinking piss at the drinking holes for ages.
Getting the Nippers to accept them odd looking choccy bars at the sewage pipe is the latest trick.
Sharks, Jellyfish, Barracuda's pfft! Just when you thought it was safe to wander from the land girt by water.

Yay, I used girt in a sentence, never thought that was possible.

NileQT87

Billowy Coat, King of Pain
What enters my mind when anyone says "Nipper" (and the infamously lewd story that went with this performance--all at the expense of poor Nipper):

As for swimming... I'm in San Diego and my family had boats, so I was always at the water.

I did do swim team (though I refused to do it competitively) and junior sailing classes with sabots over on Shelter Island. Sabots are glorified bathtubs with sails, so there was a lot of capsizing and sitting in a tub of water when the bail buckets and Super Soakers came out for water fights. I've also sailed Lasers and the family's Taswell 43' (I used to steer it myself under Coronado Bridge as a kid and we went to Catalina a few times). I also had a pool, which was often part of my youth birthday parties. I was one of the strongest swimmers early on. Admittedly, most of my swimming was in ultra mellow San Diego Bay, though I did boogie board over in La Jolla (famous enough as a surfing location that it's mentioned by the Beach Boys) and a few other places that have real waves.

The sewage problems here are always what flows north to San Diego from Tijuana (it's an infamous water issue). Ew. Hard to deal with I suppose when you're dealing with a different country.

Children's Beach down in La Jolla has been entirely taken over by fat, happy, lazy sea lions. It's far too polluted to be used by children anymore. LOL. Practically every buouy in San Diego Bay has a dozen fat sea lions lounging on it. You can get pretty close to them while doing drive-bys in a sabot.

I didn't do lifeguard training or anything (I know they have those sort of programs for youths here, because it's on the local news quite often when it's a slow news cycle), but I did do junior sailing and swim team for a number of years.

Every once in a while we get a few stories about great white sharks confusing swimmers in wetsuits for seals and taking a bite, but that's more often up in the L.A. area.

My more immediate fears involve making sure none of my pets get attacked or eaten by the coyotes, a very pesky falcon and rattlesnakes from out of the canyon behind our house. Ugh.

My dad once told a story of swimming off the Florida Keys and seeing a hammerhead shark following. Scary! He also grabbed a girl out of the water in our pool who was in trouble during one of my childhood birthday parties. I was always super comfortable in water due to having been surrounded by it since I was very young. My dad used to give me astronomy lessons in the jacuzzi at night. R.I.P.

Last edited:

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
My dad once told a story of swimming off the Florida Keys and seeing a hammerhead shark following. Scary!
I have heard so many close calls with sharks, but most of the people who die from bites here are eaten by great whites. The hammerheads are regular out with the surfers. So are grey nurse sharks, bronze whalers and wobbegongs. Mostly harmless. Beach fishermen seem to catch more sharks than any other big fish.

I have seen big sharks in the water before but never while I have been in the water. We check from the top of the cliffs over the bays before swimming in remote/unpatrolled areas. When I was a teen, the boys were out in the surf off a notorious rock fishing spot while us girls splashed about in the shallows. The boys paddled back in white faced, a great white had breached within metres of them. We got out of the water quick smart. It was near where the old whaling station used to run, and even though its not been in use for decades, the sharks have not forgotten. Another time at that same beach one of the boys knocked a huge salmon out with his board and brought it back in to eat. Haha.

My brother in law has surfed with a few hammer heads, if they are little they are probably not going to do too much damage. I know another girl who was bit on the leg by a wobbegong at school swimming lessons. One new years eve my friend was chased right out of the water by a 2m wobbegong, the calm shallow bay was crawling with them but this one took a particular liking to her white bikini. I like swimming when there are dolphins about cos its unlikely there are sharks when they are having a play. Seagulls are a good indicator too but there are not many where I swim now, too cold.

I was chatting to someone the other day who had zero idea of troughs in the water. Its regular off surf beaches for there to be rips and troughs before hitting a sand bank. Get across the current of deep water and you could again be knee deep a few hundred metres out. The troughs are fun for resistance training or just letting yourself get pulled along the beach. The swim back is less fun though. My dad taught us spot our towels up on the beach so we could access how far we had been carried along. The crabs used to nibble our toes at sunset so we preferred not to touch the bottom. I bet there were sharks in the water at that time. It was before they bothered to look for them haha.

Your jacuzzi stories with your Dad sound fun @NileQT87 what a great memory. One day I will do a stargazing thread too. The southern stars are as different as the surf :p

”Skogsmulle” which is part of an outdoors organisation that arranges activites where kids get to learn about the woods
I want to do this! We don't have bears luckily but identifying poo is part of school biology classes. I have realised the deep bush is just as dangerous as the ocean and I should probably be a little more careful on my galivanting around solo in it. Especially when I don't have phone reception. I tell myself it is fine cos we used to ride out bush without phones all the time. But I realise now at least a few of those falls out there should not have been the type you get back on and ride home with.

Top Bottom