• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Whedon Says Fox Pulled the Buffy Comics From Dark Horse

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
reposted

Prior to Comic-Con, Boom! Studios made the surprise announcement that it was picking up the license for Joss Whedon’s beloved Firefly comics after a long run at Dark Horse Comics. Apparently, it’s not the only Whedon creation leaving Dark Horse, as the departure of Buffy the Vampire Slayer was confirmed in a new interview posted at Comic Book Resources.

“We want to do something more with Dark Horse right now – especially because Fox is taking the Buffy license and the Firefly license back. And Dark Horse has shepherded these licenses for decades now,” said Whedon. While Whedon didn’t confirm that the Buffy comics would follow Firefly to Boom! Studios, it seems to be the most likely outcome. Fox owns a percentage of Boom! Studios, and it could eventually place Aliens and Predator comics at Boom! despite Dark Horse’s long tenure with both franchises.

Dark Horse began publishing the Buffy comics in 1998, and the series has continued with few interruptions for the last two decades. In 2004, the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 comic marked the official continuation of the show’s stories with Whedon and other creators at the helm. The four-issue miniseries, Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Twelve: The Reckoning, will wrap up this era of Buffy’s history when the final issue hits on Wednesday, September 19.

“Similar to the show, we’re not going to close it all off in the sense of ‘Everybody’s dead!,'” said Whedon. “We wanted to give the Dark Horse era some closure. What they’ve done over the years with Scott Allie and Sierra Hahn, and everyone there has put their souls into this. The artists like Georges [Jeanty] and everyone were such a perfect match. It’s been a great combination, so it couldn’t just end.”

Holy cow... Buffy going to Boom! along with Predator... I don't care WHAT happens... I want a Buffy vs. Predator comic.

Cohen

Warrior
Buffy vs Predator would be EPIC! I would like to see that crossover as well! It kind of stinks that DH is losing so many staples though. Despite the roller coaster, I’ve always felt DH has produced quality stories.

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
Dark Horse will probably be toast if Fox/Disney takes all of its licenses away. DH seems to have stopped doing ongoing comics and only doing 4-issue miniseries, which tells me they're not confident in committing to anything long term right now.

The Ferg

Scooby
Wow, I can't believe I missed this news!

I think this is fantastic! Dark Horse has seriously been spinning it's wheels with the Buffyverse for a long while now. It's time for some fresh blood. I would love to see the property move to Boom where it could actually garner some love and attention.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Eh. Fox probably considers Disney and Time Warner as best practices, where you consolidate your IP under the same parent company. I can see the appeal for Buffy, as Fox hopes Buffy Of Color will be a big franchise hit. Arguably, if someone with half a brain was running the business side of things, Buffy would be as big as any other Young Adult franchise, as opposed to comics, Hot Topic, and Joss trying to get IP he created to make a BBC mini-series about Giles fighting ghosts. Firefly, on the other hand, doesn't. Firefly is dead, at the moment, recreating it isn't really worth the effort, and keeping Firefly as a dormant franchise where you license out the property and let someone else do the work, works for me. Why invest your own money in making FIrefly comics, eh?

wickedwillow

Potential
I have a fondness for Dark Horse comics as they revived Buffy in the first place, but it will be interesting to see what happens now.

TarasBoyfriend

Unwilling disciple of Eyghon
Sineya
Does anyone know why Marvel comics isn't taking over the Buffy comics? I get that Fox owns a stake in Boom! but if Disney owns Fox and Marvel that would seem like the thing to do. Also, I think if the property were under the power of a larger company it might get more attention. I am conflicted though because Marvel has a problem with long-running titles. Most of them get rebooted and get new writers around every twenty issues... so perhaps Boom! is the better choice. What do you all think?

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
Does anyone know why Marvel comics isn't taking over the Buffy comics? I get that Fox owns a stake in Boom! but if Disney owns Fox and Marvel that would seem like the thing to do. Also, I think if the property were under the power of a larger company it might get more attention. I am conflicted though because Marvel has a problem with long-running titles. Most of them get rebooted and get new writers around every twenty issues... so perhaps Boom! is the better choice. What do you all think?
The numbers declined fairly steadily though-out the DH run, so they are probably still trying to decide what to do with them. I can see them wanting to figure out the reboot/new show before making any big comic decisions.

white avenger

white avenger
Does anyone know why Marvel comics isn't taking over the Buffy comics?
I was always under the impression that Disney owned the screen rights to selected Marvel characters, but the Marvel Comics Group publication was a different mater entirely, which is why Disney had to actually buy Fox to acquire rights to X-Men, Fantastic Four, and others. That being the case, Marvel comics wouldn't have any right to publish a Buffyverse comic.

As for "Buffy vs Predator," we've already had "Batman vs Predator," "Tarzan vs Predator," and "Predator vs Aliens," and I seem to recall even "Terminator vs Predator" mentioned somewhere. The Predator seems to be a very highly overrated interstellar hunter if all these people keep killing them. We may actually see the first case of a hunter becoming an endangered species if this keeps up.

TarasBoyfriend

Unwilling disciple of Eyghon
Sineya
I was always under the impression that Disney owned the screen rights to selected Marvel characters, but the Marvel Comics Group publication was a different mater entirely, which is why Disney had to actually buy Fox to acquire rights to X-Men, Fantastic Four, and others. That being the case, Marvel comics wouldn't have any right to publish a Buffyverse comic.

As for "Buffy vs Predator," we've already had "Batman vs Predator," "Tarzan vs Predator," and "Predator vs Aliens," and I seem to recall even "Terminator vs Predator" mentioned somewhere. The Predator seems to be a very highly overrated interstellar hunter if all these people keep killing them. We may actually see the first case of a hunter becoming an endangered species if this keeps up.
Disney actually owns the entirety of Marvel Entertainment. Fox owned the screen rights of some Marvel characters but Disney owns Marvel comics. That’s why I don’t fully understand their choice.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
It's to inflate the value of Boom comics. You see, at some point, all of Fox's holdings are going to be appraised, and loading Boom with all of Fox's IP will increase the value of their share. That Disney is going to feed that IP to Marvel is not relevant now, just having Boom with multiple IPs and multiple successful comic lines is really what matters.

TarasBoyfriend
TarasBoyfriend
That’s a very satisfying answer. Thank you ☺

The Ferg

Scooby
BuffyVampireSlayer_Announcement.jpg

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Stakes Out a New Home at BOOM! Studios - IGN

Interesting stuff:
1. Boom can't publish anything until 2019.
2. Monthly comic series, limited series, graphic novels and more!
3. Reprinting is fair game. It'll be very interesting to see what they do with the DH's massive backlog.

"I remember watching the premiere of Buffy the Vampire Slayer over 20 years ago, and the feeling of empowerment that came with seeing a girl get to kick ass and have flaws at the same time, and to not apologize for who she was. It’s an honor to oversee that world for a new generation and to bring them that same feeling of knowing your greatest power comes from being true to who you are,” BOOM! Studios Executive Editor Jeanine Schaefer said in a statement provided to IGN. “Buffy is about love at its core, love for your friends and yourself. The characters are allowed to be equal parts human and monster, and seeing them struggle to balance those parts of themselves, the same parts we all struggle with, is why it still resonates with audiences of all ages and backgrounds today.”
I can't wait!! Even if it sucks, I am just so ready for something new and different.

wickedwillow

Potential
I really love that picture, I hope the comics are really cool and deliver, but I'll probably read them whatever

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I do agree, much like Archie, Robin and Spider-Man, something about Buffy works best in high school and only high school. By the time you get the main character in college and fornicating with a hot redhead/dull cornpone, it loses a bit of it's charm.

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
So they are going back to Buffy being in high school? I'm down for that!
I would actually check them out (ditched the DH Buffy comics during the fiasco that was S8) too. But only if we skip the damn monster romances. If it were like that woman said, all about the friendships and a person's own demons, I can totally get behind that. It's why I fell in love with the show in the first place. Get some good writers and make the art decent...I might be down for that.

brinkster130
brinkster130
This is what I'm hoping for.

wickedwillow

Potential
Back to High School and works the midnight shift -- when does she have time to sleep
I always used to wonder that when watching the show, and she has time to hang out at the Bronze too! Is part of Slayer power you only need five minutes naps to be totally rejuvenated and ready to slay?

Top Bottom