1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

When does Buffy find out?

Discussion in 'Season 5' started by Taake, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    It just occurred to me that I can't remember when Buffy finds out that Spike has been resurrected...

I mean I can't really imagine anyone from Angel Inc rushing to the phone in order to tell her and even if they did, considering season 8 and all that 'fake Buffy's' floating around - would she get the message? Did Spike contact her? Did he know how to? We see Andrew on the show of course but do we know if he told her or if he's just Giles' puppet at that point?

So when is she told?

There's probably a clear answer that I've just forgotten so if anyone knows, help a forgetful gal out will ya? ;)

2. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

I don't think we ever did, did we? I mean from what I remember Joss didn't deem any back story between season 7 and those awful comics to be important enough to cover.

3. EVIL UU

EVIL UU Scooby

We don't know. Buffy doesn't seem too surprised that Spike's alive so to speak when he finally shows up in season 8 so I guess, she was already in the know.

4. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

I think Scott Allie when questioned said Andrew had told her 'off camera' at some point so to speak.

5. The Bronze

The Bronze GraceZ

Black Thorn
    There's something about this in the last Spike series on IDW I believe. Can't remember how specific it was but there was a conversation between Willow and Spike about it.

6. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Oh okay, thank you guys!

7. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Maybe her stalker-sense was tingling? ;)

But in all seriousness Buffy almost certainly found out between the aftermath of 'NFA' and the start of Season 8.

8. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Yeah, it was something like

Willow: Buffy knows that you're back, by the way.

Spike: How did she find out?

Willow: She just kept kicking down doors until she found someone who would tell her the truth.

Absolutely nothing in the way of details such as, mainly, "How did Buffy first come to suspect that Spike was back?"

It was after that, however, in the Dark Horse Faith/Giles team up that Giles mentioned to Faith that he and Buffy weren't on speaking terms at that time, which led me to suspect that Andrew told Giles, not Buffy, and he tried to cover it up, then Andrew, being Andrew, accidentally spilled the beans, which sent Buffy on her door kicking quest, which, in turn, let to the argument that caused the rift between Buffy and Giles. (Just another one of my Buffy conspiracy theories)

9. crazysoulless

crazysoulless Scooby

I hated they had Buffy apologize to Spike for "not keeping in touch" when he's the one who pretended to be dead for years, told her friends not to tell her he's alive, screwed another woman within minutes of being corporeal again, and screwed a different woman multiple times.

And yet we're supposed to believe she's done him wrong. He even gets pissy over her having slept with Angel even though that's the first time she's been with a man (Spike) since season 6's As You Were.

This storyline handled right would be the season 3 premiere of Sherlock.

And then in season 9 Spike gets pissy that Buffy seems to be friendzoning him and annoyed that she can't tell he's in love with her. So he screws Harmony again, tries to screw Faith, kisses Dylan, and kisses some random in Buffy's apartment at Buffy's party (where she's roofied and ends up thinking she got pregnant from blackout drunk sex which probably would've been rape only for it to turn out to be a whole other horrible thing done without her consent).

She spent all of season 9 being villified and slut shamed over what happened with Twilight and the Seed of Wonder. Kennedy. Xander. Even Willow. They blamed her for what happened.

It was the wrong time for Spike to expect her to pick up where they left off in Chosen.

10. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    *imagines Spike in various disguises trying to surprise Buffy in a social setting- and then Buffy finally realizing and punching him in the face*

That would've been awesome! And not just for the obvious reasons, it would've indicated that Spike's death and absence meant something to Buffy, instead of just the indifference we got.

Watching S5 of Angel I think its highly likely that Buffy knew about Spike by 'The Girl In Question' came around, the reason being that Andrew was way too laid back about Angel and Spike just showing up looking for 'Buffy'.
    Even if its a fake Buffy then it stands to reason that 'real Buffy' must've been- by that time- in on the whole thing. Spike had left America and was now 'searching' for Buffy in Europe; I doubt that she was in the dark at that point.

Off-topic: I find it incredibly hard to picture either Angel or Spike with Buffy after this episode; it's like- they both come across as the worse ex's ever.

11. crazysoulless

crazysoulless Scooby

Angel & Spike really are the worst exes ever. I wonder how Buffy reacted to Angel screwing Darla to try to lose his soul on purpose and unintentionally impregnating her, trying to get in St Corduffy's pants, and then screwing Nina because he mistakenly thought Buffy screwed The Immortal.

I forgive Angel for Eve since Buffy has been under plenty of love spells/My Will Be Done situations. Luckily she didn't get too far with RJ.

I think Buffy's dreams throughout season 8 showed how conflicted she was. She clearly knew Angel & Spike were both alive and some of the things they'd been getting up to.

12. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    That's because that terrible episode ruins all the characters. Buffy gets redeemed because of the comics retcon. However, since I don't take the comics seriously and detour Buffies is a stupid plot, I'd say TGIQ is the worst Angel episode ever.

thetopher likes this.
  13. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I just take it to mean the girl in question is Fred/Illyria and ignore the rest, because the Wes and Illyria scenes are brilliant in this episode. I adore Fred's parents too.

Quite the contrast with the silly humour in Italy.

Carrie Hopewell: Good strategy lol
    Carrie Hopewell likes this.