• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

When does SHIELD “get good”?

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Most series‘ take time to develop and in a lot of shows fans can pinpoint when a show really finds its stride and “gets good”.

When would you tell someone that SHIELD gets good?

vznspike

Potential
Black Thorn
Interestingly I found good from the start, there isn't too many episodes that I finish thinking that they were bad

TriBel

Scooby
Are we talking about Agents of Shield? If so, Episode one for me. It took me less time to get into AoS Shield than The Wire .

V
vitriol
The Wire has to be the most overrated show ever.

Synch

Townie
Around 1x11 if I remember correctly. The show was good from the start but around half season it became what is now: 100% action, Jossian formula (self aware characters, witty dialog, family/team feeling, sense of wonder, emotional resonance... But somewhat different cause it's a Jed, Mo and Jeff thing, not Joss himself) and a complete exploration of the genre.

I love it. It's what Joss said sometimes: he wanted a series that 100 people need to see, not a show 1000 people want to see. Yeah.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Like with any series, there are things I like and things I don’t. But SHIELD is one of my favorite shows. One thing I’ve really come to like is that it has constantly reinvented itself every season. I’m not sure that was the original intention but it doesn’t matter to me; it has kept the show fresh and exciting. It’s hard for me to pick a favorite season, there are interesting things about each season!

vznspike
vznspike
Agreed!

Mr Trick

Scooby
I'd say about the mid-part of S1 is when it started to show signs of the show it would become. The last six episodes of that season and the start of the Hydra arc were fantastic. I don't think the show really looked back after that. Nearly finished S4 which I think might be the best season so far.

famicommander

Townie
It doesn't. Marvel Cinematic Universe TV shows are by and large not very good, with some exceptions:
Daredevil seasons 1 and 3
Jessica Jones season 1
Runaways
Cloak and Dagger

Punisher is okay.

Agents of SHIELD, Inhumans, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Defenders, the other seasons of Daredevil and Jessica Jones, and Agent Carter are just plain boring.

Marvel generally stomps DC at the theaters but on TV DC is king. Doom Patrol, Watchmen, Swamp Thing, Stargirl, Black Lightning, Lucifer, iZombie, etc are all orders of magnitude better than Marvel's output. iZombie is especially good if you're a Buffy fan (it's made by the creator of Veronica Mars).

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
I thougth S3 of Jessica Jones was very good actually.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I think Shield is good because it doesn't feel like a typical Marvel series. Sure there are moments where it does. But I think the character depth, and the thriller feel give it that different feeling. Plus it really explores the ideas and the universe. To me a lot of Marvel shows and movies only really scratch the service.

LeeJones41

Potential
Most series‘ take time to develop and in a lot of shows fans can pinpoint when a show really finds its stride and “gets good”.

When would you tell someone that SHIELD gets good?
For me, "S.H.I.E.L.D." started to really get good around a Season One episode called (1.13) "T.R.A.C.K.S.".

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
It doesn't. Marvel Cinematic Universe TV shows are by and large not very good, with some exceptions:
Daredevil seasons 1 and 3
Jessica Jones season 1
Runaways
Cloak and Dagger

Punisher is okay.

Agents of SHIELD, Inhumans, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Defenders, the other seasons of Daredevil and Jessica Jones, and Agent Carter are just plain boring.

Marvel generally stomps DC at the theaters but on TV DC is king. Doom Patrol, Watchmen, Swamp Thing, Stargirl, Black Lightning, Lucifer, iZombie, etc are all orders of magnitude better than Marvel's output. iZombie is especially good if you're a Buffy fan (it's made by the creator of Veronica Mars).
Your argument against Marvel started off strong then fell off a cliff when you mentioned Runaways and Cloak & Dagger.
Ditto with yer DC argument. BTW - if yer curious 'Stargirl, Black Lightnin...' is where the wheels fell off the wagon.
Just saying :oops:

famicommander

Townie
Your argument against Marvel started off strong then fell off a cliff when you mentioned Runaways and Cloak & Dagger.
Ditto with yer DC argument. BTW - if yer curious 'Stargirl, Black Lightnin...' is where the wheels fell off the wagon.
Just saying :oops:
I disagree. All of those shows have a strong idea about what they want to be and strong ties to their source material, and they execute their visions well. Agents of SHIELD is a comic book show that starts out ashamed to be a comic book show at all, and as it goes along it just becomes a generic substitute. Characters nobody cares about masquerading as comic book heroes like store brand cereal.

Runaways, Cloak and Dagger, and Stargirl are angsty teen dramas but that's what they should be because that's who those characters are. And Black Lightning is simply fantastic.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Ah yes, the first half of the first season had a Hydra embargo, due to "Winter Soldier," and a Mutant embargo, due to Fox's rights issues. So, if you start from the beginning, they are literally treading water, fighting fake mutants, until they can get to the actual storylines. Frankly, making a show about Shield when you intended to destroy shield in the films seems unsporting.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Black Lightning is amazing. Stargirl is disappointing. If we want to compare DC shows, Arrow is the one that’s inconsistent season to season and has a main character who is so OTT broody that I had to stop watching during season 7.

sk
sk
I made it to season 7 of Arrow too until I gave up. :)
Top Bottom